Thread: Ack help with Directions plz

Default Ack help with Directions plz

I get to my JHS today and the JTE comes up to me and tells me she wants to teach the 1st and 2nd years directions that are in the New Horizons 1 and 2 textbooks respectively. She also tells me she has no ideas and she always leaves the entire class to me. Gawd I hate it. Anyways the ichinenseis are supposed to learn "Can you tell me which bus goes to city hall" and "What time does it leave". I printed out the local fukuoka bus schedule in English and was thinking that I could have the kids practice the conversation in English in pairs, and then have them do it with me using the real timetable. For ninenseis, they have to learn actual directions, turn left, turn right, where is the library, etc. I was gonna use a gap info sheet where they both get maps with info missing and then have to tell each other where things are. The teacher, after asking me to prep 3 lessons in 2 periods, had the nerve to tell me that she didnt use gap info sheets since the students often revert to japanese. I told her that after they practiced in pairs they would have to do it with me, and she bought that, but does anyone have a better idea?

I liked the gap sheets, though my class did tend to screw around during the time they were supposed to be working on them, so I drew the map on the board and have one student come up and trace the route while their partner gave directions from their seat. The rest of the class actually paid attention to this, too, and everybody was pretty good-natured when somebody messed up, including the pair who was demonstrating at the time.

I was impressed that they paid this much attention, given that it was the 8:30 Monday morning academic class.

Not sure if this would work for you, since I use a different textbook. But one of the activities I used with my students was I gave them a map (probably like the one in the book, but with more buildings marked on it). Then I would read the directions out loud. (Turn left, go straight for two blocks, turn right, etc.) Occasionally I would have them "Go into the building on the left corner" or "Go into the second building on the right." They had to keep a running list of the buildings they entered. Then after I finished my little tour of the town, I would call on students to tell me which buildings they went into.
    If there was time left, I'd call on a student to give me directions on how to get between two buildings, then that student got to pick a building, and another student had to get there, etc.
    Hope this helps.
    All a good life requires is a passport and a corkscrew.

Warm-up direction game:
    Get all the students to stand up and face the board with their eyes closed (yes, takes forever, they each want to be the last one with their eyes closed). If you shout "left", they have to turn 90 degrees anticlockwise. If you shout "right", they have to turn 90 degrees clockwise. Start out slowly, shouting "left left right left right right right left left right etc", then shout "open your eyes". If they didn't cheat, a few will be facing the wrong way. The try it again, but this time faster. More will make a mistake (and more will cheat). For more wasted time, get one of the students to take your place shouting directions.

For a smaller, really genki class, you can try a blindfolded maze (but you need a hell of a lot of blindfolds, and this most of the lesson). Get the students into pairs and give each pair and simple maze (really simple, like 6 turns, and no dead ends). Tell them to find their way through the maze. Yeah, funny one. Then hand out the blindfolds. Teach the students the phrases "go left", "go right", "stop", "go back", "keep going" (I made little DDR-style arrows to help teach them the phrases). The tell one student to wear the blindfold and navigate through the maze with a pencil while their partner shouts directions.

For bonus round, I moved the desks in the classroom into a maze. I then chose some blindfolded students and positioned them around the maze. Each partner had to shout directions from the front to navigate the student to their relay point without letting them hit the desks.
    * And the Lord said unto John "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster. *