Thread: SHS one-shot lesson for tomorrow

Default SHS one-shot lesson for tomorrow

I'm all set for my Christmas lessons starting next week, but due to a schedule change I have four classes tomorrow and I don't have a lesson planned. So, please, ideas for an engaging, stand-alone lesson for tomorrow. It's going to be 2 and 3 nenseis and their English ability is moderate to poor. Thanks for any help.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

ouch! my ____________ hurts.

uses body parts, can use headache, back pain and any thing else ....

make a dialogue, with whats the matter? ... how did it happen? ...

and anything else you can think of
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Thanks for that, Mark. Unfortunately we just finished a health themed section in my OC classes that covered those phrases.

Any other ideas? Or a good site where I can pick-up a full lesson? I'm pretty busy today and I want to have to think on my own.

I needed a lesson like that a few days ago, I'm at a high level school, but I think this would work for anyone: I made a crossword puzzle using the names of animals, but the clues were actual pictures of the animal, so if they knew the Japanese name they could just use their dictionary and look up the correct word. I also let them work together and then we answered it as a class at the end and they got a hanko stamp (sticker, whatever) for volunteering. I was pretty surprised at their response to it, I had boys that usually fall asleep on their worksheets freaking out excited over it. If you want the puzzle I made, feel free to PM me.

We played shiritori for a bit first, but if your kids are low-level, they might want the whole class to work on the puzzle.

Ooh, I got a nice one. I use it for all three years at my lower academic SHS. It's called drawing story.

Take a B4 sheet and divide it into 12 blocks (number the blocks 1 to 12 in the top right hand corner of each). You then tell a story in 12 parts, using only English and gestures. The kids must listen, and then draw pictures to show what they understand of what you had said. For lower classes, I say they can ask me for confirmation in Japanese, to which I will only nod or shake my head.

1. It was a dark and stormy night. There was a haunted house on a hill.
    2. The door of the house opened. Inside was a zombie.
    3. The zombie has a big mouth, but no eyes.
    4. The zombie's mother is a mummy. She has a big hat with flowers in it.
    5. The zombie's father is a vampire. He has a pet bat.
    6. The zombie has a pet dog. It's a skeleton.
    7. Zombie and his family are going to a halloween cosplay contest. Zombie is dressed like Naruto.
    8. Zombie loves to dance, but his arm falls off.
    9. A (school name) student goes to the cosplay contest. She is dressed as a witch.
    10. Zombie's father (the vampire) is getting hungry. He wants to drink blood.
    11. Suddenly, the lights turn off. No one can see.

For the 12th block, each student makes up their own ending and draws it. I've only ever had one student who refused to draw, and I said he could write the tranlsation of the story in Japanese instead.

You can just make up your own story in 11 parts. I had one about a cat and a dog who go swimming and almost gt run over by a boat. Just tuse whatever you think would interest your students. Give them about 3 or 4 mins for each block.
    * And the Lord said unto John "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster. *

Wow, thanks you two. You're both of so full of awesome that I'd bet there's a constant stream of thick, viscous awesome oozing from all of your head-holes. I'll be using both of those ideas at some point or another (one tomorrow, and the other for another rainy day). Thanks again.

Word.

That story lesson is off tha chain yo!

Will have to use it next year I think.

Oh well. This week my students will be undertaking a textual analysis of 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer'. Maybe we can do a deconstructionist approach. I wonder what Derrida and Chomsky have to say about it?
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!