Thread: Another grammer question

Default Another grammer question

One of my Enlish teachers just asked me another one of those difficult grammer questions. Is the sentence "She showed me the way how she learned five languages" correct? "She showed me how she learned five languages" and "She showed me the way she learned five languages" are both correct, but the combined form sounds a little odd to me. If it isn't correct, why can you say things like "the place where" and "the reason why" but not "the way how"?

Grammatical or not, it sure isn't good form. If you want to cut to the chase and avoid any sort of academic discussion just say "No, we don't say that.

As for good ol academic discussions... It could just be one of those situations where it's just an arbitrary rule that you don't do it. To give a counter example to the "the place where" and "the reason why" argument, you can't say "the identity who."

Where and why can be used as relative adverbs (parts of relative clauses), but how can't be. I think the only relative adverbs are where, why, and who. there's a little more info on relative clauses here: http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/relativeclause.htm
    All a good life requires is a passport and a corkscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by cb
    To give a counter example to the "the place where" and "the reason why" argument, you can't say "the identity who."
    But you can say "the person who". I don't think there's an equivalent for what, though.