Thread: Christmas activities for 10-11 year olds?

Default Christmas activities for 10-11 year olds?

My younger classes at elementary have just been changed to all the fifth and sixth graders tomorrow. Sometimes I'm at a loss for fun stuff to do with them - they're too old for colouring sheets but can't really write anything yet either.

I had a whole bunch of Christmas activities for the first to third graders that I was meant to teach, but I think it's too babyish for the fifth and sixth graders.

Any ideas for fun Christmas activities that don't involve too many resources? I was thinking of making christmas cards with them, but there's no glitter, pens or cardboard etc at the school.

any small group games that have worked well with your older elementary kids or younger JH kids?

Ta muchly

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

How many in the class?
    You could play "I want ________"
    First kid asks second kid "What do you want for Christmas?"
    Second kid says " I want a __________. (Turns to third kid) What do you want for Christmas?"
    You could then have a quiz at the end -
    "What does (insert kid's name) want for Christmas?
    How about letters to Santa?
    Dear Santa,
    This year I have been good (+ synonyms). I would like ___________.
    Thank you,
    Name in romaji.
    They could draw a picture instead of filling in the blank.
    If you can get some cheap items and wrap them in several layers you could play pass the parcel with Christmas music.
    Or musical chairs with Christmas carols.
    Or teach them a Christmas carol.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

^^^ how does that make the kids who dont celebrate christmas feel?

Not my problem, Frank. I just answered the fricken question.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Get them drunk and get all their extended family around to celebrate.
    Play football on the back lawn.
    In your drunken stupor kick the ball too hard into the stomach of one of your young cousins.
    Apologise profusely to angry aunt and uncle.
    Continue to drink.
    Approach aunt and uncle an hour later, tell them it was no accident, you hate their kid, you were aiming for his head.
    Mistake your family friend dressed as Santa Claus for an intruder and proceed to wrestle him to the ground, punching him in the face while asking him if he's having a "merry christmas"?
    Sit in a room alone in the knowledge that you have ruined the day for the whole family and that you're soon to be facing assault charges.
    Vomit on the presents under the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by frankdux
    In Japan, I am sure many kids don't "celebrate" Xmas
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Now with 25% less sugar! Auburn's Avatar

Two activities I did when asked to present "traditional" Canadian Christmas games:

1. Pin the nose on Santa Claus: I made a bunch of Santa faces, and then had the kids try to put the nose in the right place. If your kids have learned "up", "down", "left" and "right", the other kids can try to coach the one who is doing the pinning.

2. Present Relay: Make two teams. Each team has one Santa. All the other kids are reindeer. The reindeer line up one in front of the other, and hold the person in front of them by the shoulders, forming a line with Santa at the back. Each team has a pile of presents. The teams race to see who can get all their presents from Point A to Point B first. If you're particularly rich, the kids can open and keep the presents afterwards.

Well, I was told to give Christmas-themed lessons so that's what I'm doing. It's not like I'm ramming it down their throats for my own amusement. Both the kids and the teachers really got into it.

For today's lessons I just bought a stocking from the 100yen shop, and filled it with random stuff from my house - chocolate, gloves, clock, small stuffed animal, apple etc - about 14 small items in total. I then got volunteer students to come out and close their eyes and select one item each from the stocking. If they could guess the item correctly they got a christmas sticker.

After practicing all the vocab, I spread all the items out on a table and covered it with a blanket. I got more volunteers out to remove 3 or 4 items at a time, and students worked in groups to see who could name all the missing items correctly the fastest. They went absolutely crazy for this and I didn't even get round to doing my wordsearches that I had prepared because they wanted to keep playing.

Repeated this lesson with all the 5th and 6th graders and it worked really well.

Thanks for the other suggestions people gave, I'll try some of them during my next Elementary visit.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frankdux
    The same way that, say, making a wish tree during Japanese class in a Western country makes the kids who don't celebrate Tanabata feel?
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Too old for coloring?

My 3rd year HIGH SCHOOL students love coloring. I tried to get them to write short Xmas cards...and they colored and colored.

I haven't seen them smile and laugh as much as they did when they were coloring and listening to Mariah Carey sing her Xmas song. Some of them even wrote "Dear ," on the inside of their card! Woohoo! Lesson a success!

Absurd. (Did I mention how low-level my HSs are?)

Yeah, neo_relina; understand completely.
    Last year I printed off Valentine card blanks from the internet and my 3rd year SHS (low level) went nuts folding them into four, colouring them, writing their messages etc.
    Then we used pages from Australian glossy magazines to make envelopes, which took ages coz they kept wanting to READ what was on the pages (the JTE was worried they were wasting time and not on task; I was thrilled!)

Yeah....some of my kids had trouble folding the card. They didn't understand how it went from a big sheet of paper and became a card! Some of them folded it incorrectly and were asking the JTE why it didn't look like the example.

Maybe there is something in the water that affects early brain development...

battleship with Christmas vocab. Kids tend to already know most Christmas words, so maybe pick your last lesson to be the other axis.

Tell them the battleships are houses, and you're not dropping bombs but presents.

A few things I did at Christmas time was show western christmas images like Christmas Trees, Presents, Food, and so on. I also did an activity that took up a good amount of time making a "Hand Christmas Tree". What you do is give each student a green piece of paper then they trace their hand(s) then decorate the hand. Afterwards they cut the traced hand. Last you glue the hands on large paper to look like a tree. Sort of like this:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~goofis1/...istmasTree.jpg

It easily takes up a full class period.
    Genki?