Thread: What is as good as a DS for Kanji lookup?

Default What is as good as a DS for Kanji lookup?

Scenario: I'm trying to read manga that has a lot of Kanji but doesn't have the smaller hiragana reading next to it. I don't yet know all of the Kanji characters, so I want to look them up for their meaning. I figure flipping through a dictionary would be very slow...seeing as how I don't even know their romaji. I've seen this Nintendo DS program http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtXol...eature=related ...but I'd have to buy it and a DS..which would be about $150 in all. How else do I do it, though?

You could buy an electric dictionary, a few of those have a touch pad you can write the kanji in with a stylus. The problem there is that most of the ones that can do that are meant for Chinese study, and a decent dictionary will run you anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 yen.

In short, there is no cheap way. Sorry.

Oh, actually some keitai have a program that allows you to take a picture of a character and then look it up... doesn't work very well though.

Thanks for responding.

I'm actually in America right now; won't be in JET for over a year...but I'm just trying to learn the language. I figure reading stuff would be a great way to learn kanji in context...instead of just rote memorization alone (I'm doing that as well).

Anyone else have a suggestion for quick kanji lookup?

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

yeah get that japanese girl from your other thread to tell you them....
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

The cheapest way is to cozy up to your computer and use your IME. If you're using Windows, you have a free Japanese IME which you can use to write the kanji in.

I made a post about doing this a while back; check it out here

Quote Originally Posted by samesong
    The cheapest way is to cozy up to your computer and use your IME. If you're using Windows, you have a free Japanese IME which you can use to write the kanji in.

I made a post about doing this a while back; check it out here
    Thanks. I just have a mac, though. Think a Pocket PC has that IME software?