Thread: Warm Ups

Default Warm Ups

How do you guys warm up your class to get them focused?

My method of introducing some new words at the beginning and then getting the kids to answer some questions about them is clearly wrong. And I have enough trouble trying to come up with the main activity, much less a second one to wake them up.

I have been thinking of maybe doing a quick back-and-forth with my JTEs and then ask the kids some questions about what was said, but I just have no confidence, since he keeps telling me my ideas are wrong.

When I first got here, my supervisor told me to do the same kind of thing every day, so the kids would anticipate the rhythm of class. Now he wants me to try "new" things, and the suggestion he gave was walking through the class, having individual conversations with them. I think this is a bad idea, and easy for the rest of the class to fall asleep or not pay attention. He says that my question-asking beforehand made them fall asleep and not pay attention.

I want to keep a good relationship with him, but I just don't know what miracle secret activity he's asking for. What do you guys do?

Grab a CD player and find a fun, active song from back home that you think they'd enjoy.

Bring in a stuffed animal. Get the kids to name it so they feel like they've got some ownership. Use this to throw around the class.

The idea is just like musical statues. Play the music and they throw the stuffed toy around. When you turn off the music the student with the toy must stand up and introduce themselves, or maybe use some sort of vocabulary in a sentence. They are so scared that they'll be stuck having to stand up and say shit that they'll be pretty active in getting rid of that toy.

Do that for about four or five minutes and you're good to go.

http://shorten.ws/k1k5

And this is for the trolling fans on this forum :smt098

Sing Mariah Carey

Seriously though if you get to class a bit earlier and just have a quick chat about something with the kids, like the things dangling on their pencil cases or something that will interest them it's one of the best warm up methods I find. It means you don't have to waste time at the beginning with Mariah and you can get on with the main chunk of the class and the kids will be more responsive if they think the gaijin is interested in them, something about their culture, or whatever.

If you take an interest in them I find they take more of an interest in you and your subject and it's very time effective.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Sounds like a good idea, but if you don't speak any Japanese then that's gonna be tough.

You could probably get away with simple english.

Point to some strap hanging off their bag and say 'cute'.

Or write some ridiculously difficult kanji that you learned on purposeon the board and ask them what it means.

My ichinensei were in hysterics today because I knew the kanji for 'purple'

I need to look that up now but have no idea how to find kanji.

ETA: 紫 yeah baby

My kids are practically begging to do RPS when I come in.

I work it so that losers sit down, ties remain standing. If everyone remaining sits down at once, they get one more chance.

Basically, it's about getting down to one person who is in a standoff with me. (I roll up my sleeve for extra drama.)

It's not always relevant, but it's always getting them pumped.
    The woman expresses her gratitude and goes back to Pope's house and sleeps with him.

Thanks, everyone. I'll try some of that stuff out. They're HS, and I only have one school, but they've been up for stuff that was supposedly for JHS.

And what's RPS?

Rock Paper Scissors.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    I always wanted to play black flag football, but there were never enough minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Kiwis
    I need to look that up now but have no idea how to find kanji.

ETA: 紫 yeah baby
    Yep that's the one.

but older kids might know it. those were jhs 1nen.

Try 狸 たぬき おr 鰐 わに for the older kids.