Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kanji for your name then?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Kanji are not like English words. They can take on a whole heap of different meanings.
    So can English words.
    An oldie but a goodie:
    http://thetravisty.com/Just_Funny/wm..._Word_Fuck.htm
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Here's my amazingly crap effort at making kanji for my name:

魯馬吐  冷嵐怒

Loose meaning:

Silly horse vomit
    Harsh tempest of wrath

(Note: I don't understand kanji and used a crap online dictionary)

my friend is looking for some decent kanji for his name, so i did him a favor and came up with this (his name is douglas, but of course you'll never find kanji for that, so i went with doug)

太愚 (ダグ) -- meaning: fat & lazy

naturally this is imo perfect for him, and he hates me for it haha. even better though, is that if you show this to a japanese person, they recognize right away the meaning AND that it is likely pronounced as 'dagu'

although for good measure, i think this one is pretty cool too

雫紅 (ダグ) -- meaning: drop of red/crimson

My boss at the Izakaya I worked for when I was a ryuugakusei gave me "時絵子佳" Which is highly incomprehensible. (Ji-e-shi-ka, phonetically.)

The characters mean: time, picture, child, and beautiful. no bad meanings in there, just sorta feels mishmashy.

I'll hold off on finding my own new kanji, since I imagine when I get back to Japan there will be people who want to pick one out for me, for fun, and I wouldn't want to ruin their fun.

This seems like a good place to post this question...

I am not sure how to use Japanese fonts on this computer, so please bear with me. In katakana, my first name would roughly be ki-to (kitt), but I have also thought about using ka-chi-ya (katya) since many people call me that. My last name is not even an option since it is Jennings.

I am on a very basic level with my Japanese (can't read any kanji yet, etc.), so I am wondering if anyone knows of any negative connotations surrounding either of those combinations for my name? I decided to ask since I heard about the trouble my friend Gary had in trying to kata-fy his name...

I don't know of any, but then my Japanese isn't that great either.

Why couldn't you have your last name? wouldn't ジュエンニグス (or some variation on that) work?
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by katyaj
    This seems like a good place to post this question...

I am not sure how to use Japanese fonts on this computer, so please bear with me. In katakana, my first name would roughly be ki-to (kitt), but I have also thought about using ka-chi-ya (katya) since many people call me that. My last name is not even an option since it is Jennings.

I am on a very basic level with my Japanese (can't read any kanji yet, etc.), so I am wondering if anyone knows of any negative connotations surrounding either of those combinations for my name? I decided to ask since I heard about the trouble my friend Gary had in trying to kata-fy his name...
    Kitt? Katya? Of course, now I'm thinking Kit-Kat bars, so kitto-katto. Kitto キット is "assuredly" good. Okay, sorry. I'm a smidge sleep deprived and I couldn't pass up on the pun. It's sad.

(Supposedly Kit-Kats are like a sugarfied version of the tonkatsu superstition before a test. "Katsu" meaning "to win." So with a Kit-Kat or kitto-katsu, you will definitely win. Maybe I was misinformed. If so, Kit-Kats should definitely take that marketing route)

And you can katakana-ize most anything. Heck, my last name is middle eastern and got put into katakana neatly. My Aussie friend has a beast of a first name and hyphenated last name and they somehow managed that one, too. ジェーニンズ is one option, depending on if the "g" isn't strongly pronounced. It really is a matter of listening to how you pronounce your name and matching it up with the sounds available with katakana. It won't be a perfect match, but such is life.

Well, I realize my last name can be kata-fied, but it's a lot more unwieldy than "ki-to" or "kachya." Good to know that my name would essentially be some vague modifier instead of anything abhorrent. Thanks.

As for the pun, that's the first time I've ever heard it that way, for sure...

A Japanese teacher gave me 出火戸。 I found it quite funny, my students love it. Another friend gave me 出伊美人。 A bit nicer eh

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetdave
    A Japanese teacher gave me 出火戸。 I found it quite funny, my students love it. Another friend gave me 出伊美人。 A bit nicer eh
    Not 出人, then? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimusume
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetdave
    Not 出人, then? :P

Why don't the Japanese use more kanji for /ra/. :sigh:

During my study abroad I got 静意(じょうい)美羅(みら). First name, great! Last name...fail.