Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Consulate

Doesn't do O-ramas

Default Chicago Consulate

Those of you who've been through it, what is it like? Is it considered one of the easier or more difficult consulates?

Any tips?

Thanks

The consulates don't decide anything. They just take notes and impressions at your interview and send it all off to Tokyo.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Powers
    The consulates don't decide anything. They just take notes and impressions at your interview and send it all off to Tokyo.
    Really? I hear that an equal number of applicants were accepted from each consulate, so some places were harder to go through, because they had a higher number of applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea
    Really? I hear that an equal number of applicants were accepted from each consulate, so some places were harder to go through, because they had a higher number of applicants.
    That is definitely not the case. I think there were about 150 people who came from the Chicago consulate this year (the other JET in my town came out of Chicago) and I think there were only maybe 40 people who came out of Houston with me this year. I think that each consulate has goals they try and reach with qualified applicants, but some of the larger consulates (like Chicago) have higher quotas to fill.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Thundryn
    That is definitely not the case. I think there were about 150 people who came from the Chicago consulate this year (the other JET in my town came out of Chicago) and I think there were only maybe 40 people who came out of Houston with me this year. I think that each consulate has goals they try and reach with qualified applicants, but some of the larger consulates (like Chicago) have higher quotas to fill.
    Really? Cool! I was kind of worried because someone told me that Seattle was one of the hardest consulate to go through because they had the highest number of applicants.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

The number of applicants they interview has a bearing on how many will eventually get through to shortlist status, in all consulates. So, if they want 3 people from your consulate, they'll interview 6-8. Once you get an interview, you have a 40-50% chance of making it.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

i interviewed out of chicago. i swear to christ i played those interviewers like a fucking fiddle. joke of an interview. so many people tell stories about how they felt so bad after the interview that they wanted to cry or that some say they even started to cry during the interview! and then in the end they got accepted. bullshit. I was all smiles and casual friendly chit chat and they ate it up! i asked a few interesting and UNIQUE questions about japan that caught them off guard in a curious way. i went out of that room smiling and they seemed happy with me. and sure enough, i got in.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Anyone else?

Since you are from MN, I would suggest that you leave a day in advance. When I interviewed, there ended up being a huge blizzard. Tons of people got stuck and couldn't make it to the interview. I got to interview 45 minutes early and my fiancee and friend went 2 hours early.

If Austin is still there, that's great! He's awesome!

As for actual interview advice, just make sure you dress very professionally. All of my interviewers were in suits so they probably expect the same degree of professionalism from you.

Think about yourself. Self-introductions are a really important part of Japanese culture so think about how you would introduce yourself and where you are from to a Japanese person. I got asked about my hometown and that kind of got me because I am from the suburbs and that is not very interesting.

Also, think about how you would introduce something about American culture (teach necessary vocabulary, pictures, activities, etc.). That way, if they ask you about lessons, you will have some basic idea of what you might say.

In any case, the interviewers will probably be all different from last year so the questions and stuff will be completely different from past years. Also, odds have nothing to do with anything. It is the consulate that you are interviewing at so speculating over the 50% chance or 60% chance or whatever does not change the fact that you are interviewing out of Chicago and they will accept however many people they are going to accept. If your interview is really good, then the odds that you will be accepted are good. If you tank, then they are not good. If you have a mediocre interview (like me) then you just better hope that a blizzard made a lot of people miss their interview or that you did better than enough people to make the cut.

When I was in your position last year, I was thinking about the odds and all of that crap. Now, I realize that it was a waste of time and energy. Just do your best, have a back-up plan, and try not to over-analyze your interview after you've finished.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundryn
    Really? Cool! I was kind of worried because someone told me that Seattle was one of the hardest consulate to go through because they had the highest number of applicants.
    I don't know how many applicants Seattle gets, but last year they gave a little over 100 interviews, and in the end about 65 people left for Japan. I think around 10 alternates were upgraded.

I think Seattle is hard not necessarily because they get a lot of applicants, but because they get a lot of very qualified applicants. Lots of people in the Pacific Northwest study Japanese and have an interest in Asian cultures. However, some consulates only have a handful of really qualified applicants, and the rest of the spots are filled by pretty much drawing straws, I hear.

at the end of my interview i asked "so how did i do?"

that caught them off guard, but the american spoke right up and gave me a sincere "i think you did really well."

and yet many people on here and BD said that was a risky thing to do. bullshit! because so many others would never dream of asking that question, it made me stand out from the crowd! :wink:

Last year 218 people were sent to Japan from Chicago. I was one of them.

I won't say I interviewed them like a fiddle, but it was certainly not a very stressful interview. My interview was really just a 20-minute chat about Japan, my views on it, why I want to go, and what I plan to do while here.

I didn't interview on one of the blizzard days, but the guy before me did end up being a no-show. As I had shown up 45 minutes early, I interviewed well before my scheduled time.

Quote Originally Posted by frankdux
    and yet many people on here and BD said that was a risky thing to do. bullshit! because so many others would never dream of asking that question, it made me stand out from the crowd! :wink:
    Standing up and mooning the interview panel would have made you stand out too, yet somehow I don't think it would have helped your chances.

Man, I'm glad I finally stumbled on ITIL- I've been lurking around on BigDaikon for a couple weeks now, but that forum is largely dead (and registrations seem to get lost before they complete, meaning newcomers like myself can't even post). Nice to know I'm not the only JET applicant the Internet can muster.

I'm waiting to hear back about Chicago interviews myself, and as much as I told myself not to sweat it, I'm definitely stressing myself out. I'm just glad to hear that the different consulates aren't easier/harder as a whole. Still, here's hoping we get our notifications soon (and that they're the good kind of notification)!

Does anyone know whether Chicago-based folks should expect an e-mail or snail mail for this notification? I'm assuming we'll be waiting for e-mail, but I've begun to doubt myself over the weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by dvelder
    Does anyone know whether Chicago-based folks should expect an e-mail or snail mail for this notification? I'm assuming we'll be waiting for e-mail, but I've begun to doubt myself over the weeks...
    "Notification of candidates who successfully passed the written evaluation will be on this website in late January or early February, at the latest."

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETPro...plication.html

We may receive an E-mail as well...not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon_45
    Quote Originally Posted by dvelder
    "Notification of candidates who successfully passed the written evaluation will be on this website in late January or early February, at the latest."

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JETPro...plication.html

We may receive an E-mail as well...not sure.
    notification of an interview AND notification of acceptance were both via e-mail for chicago last year.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Bump for the Chicago peeps :smt004

Who'll be there and what time and what day?

I'll be with Panel B Monday 2/25 @ 11:15.

Ill be there 2/19 before 2:30 for my 3:25 interview.

Looking forward to it. A lot of people say they're nervous, but i'm going into it excited about the whole thing.

Maybe ill see someone there, and best case scenario for me, i'll see some of you in Japan. :smt006

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! DecayConstant's Avatar

Thursday, February 21st at 2:45.

I'll be there Wed the 20th at 1:45 in my new suit and everything.
    Good luck to everyone else going through chicago.