Thread: Acceptance Based by School

Default Acceptance Based by School

So, I was talking to my friend recently about JET, and he informed me that a friend of his who was pretty well qualified (and, I met him a few times...he was extremely, extremely well qualified) was not accepted because the JET embassy in Boston decided to accept a different student from this same school instead. Does the JET Program normally take only one student per school, if you are graduating the same year you want to go? Would it make any difference, in other words, if five people applied from my school for 2008, and we all graduated in 2008, as well? Or was my friend merely misinforming me about the situation?

I dont really know, but that sounds kind of misinformed.
    They pick per state, or per country - I dont see why they would cut out a really good applicant just because they already had someone from that school in the program...
    Once youre here the school you went to makes no difference.

Doesnt sound quite right... :?

Edit to add, I dont even know how they would find that out. JET are pretty close guarded when it comes to telling you why you didnt get in, and by close guarded I mean they dont tell you. Unless you have a friend in the biz, but yeah. I would say thats all poppycock.
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

Seconded. JET don't even give exact figures on numbers of applicants, they sure as hell wouldn't give out personal information such as academic history or school information.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Thirded, as I'm pretty sure I've heard of a few people applying together from the same school and both getting in.

I would say that that is bullcrap. Many people from my university made it in my year
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

I personally know 3 other people from my uni who applied in the same year, and we were all shortlisted. So your theory, not so much.
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

I went to a university of under 2000 students. 7 students from my graduating class (that I know of) applied and 6 of us are here right now.

In years past, the largest number from our university was 2 students.

So, I think that they could care less about taking people from the same university. I am sure that they are more concerned with taking the "best" people than anything else.

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

When my class graduated at least two people from my university were both accepted, so there is no way it is only one person per school. Does your university have a sister school? Maybe it was a misunderstanding like, they both applied with a preferences to the same area and one got it, but they were both short listed. It seems silly that jet would divide them by school.

Think of it this way – Jet wants to higher the best people possible. If 100 Yale honors students applied all with equally amazing applications, do you think they would only higher 1, then try and higher people with less qualifications from 99 different schools? That just doesn’t make sense.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

What about people who aren't recent graduates? 2 teachers from the school I was working at in Melbourne applied and we both got in (and we graduated from the same uni, too, albeit years apart - me in 93 and her in 2003!) So, I'd add to the voices saying "It's an interesting theory, but it's bullshit".
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Your friend's friend is just butthurt. Aside from the picking order being decided purely by score, I came from the Boston consulate, and there were plenty of people who were classmates.

Dorovar and I are went to the same college. I applied through the Toronto consulate, he through the NYC consulate. Now we're both in the same prefecture.

No way. Almost all the Vassar apps (and there are always several) get in every year, and we're only about 2500 students.

It's cute how people make excuses when someone doesn't want them.

Default Not by school but maybe by area

5 students from my school were accepted last year. But we're in Kentucky and are probably not up against as much competition within the area. Either way, acceptance is definitely not based on a "one per school" policy.

Default Re: Not by school but maybe by area

Quote Originally Posted by alicejo
    5 students from my school were accepted last year. But we're in Kentucky and are probably not up against as much competition within the area. Either way, acceptance is definitely not based on a "one per school" policy.
    Do I know you? Centre?

I can think of four or five people from my college who got in, and we're only about 1200.

9 people applied from my school last year, 7 were short listed, and the other two were alternatives who were upgraded. And my school is small, 1800 or so, with only 400 in the graduating class. The school routinely has 5-10 graduates accepted each year. So I 'm thinking this is totally unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    9 people applied from my school last year, 7 were short listed, and the other two were alternatives who were upgraded. And my school is small, 1800 or so, with only 400 in the graduating class. The school routinely has 5-10 graduates accepted each year. So I 'm thinking this is totally unfounded.
    Also, if they consistently receive good apps from a certain school, good rapport will be established with that school.

As Erdrick mentioned, we both graduated and got shortlisted together, though through different consulates. This is actually the third year in a row that JETs were accepted from our school, so maybe meelynnmurder might be right with regards to rapport.

When representatives from the NYC consulate came to my university to give a JET Information Session, they verified themselves that they don't only choose one person per college, they choose based on whether or not you're qualified for the position (application/interview/etc)