Thread: "Please show us a short demo lesson"

Default "Please show us a short demo lesson"

I'm feeling quite confidant about the interview, apart from some variation of the above question. Obviously you can't do much in a 5 minute timeslot, but I'm just interested to know what kind of things other people have done faced with this kind of thing - did you just do it in the form of a presentation, talking about the topic matter? Did you try to get the panel involved, running a short activity or something like that?

At the moment my plan is to just read through a bunch of books and websites, and adapt something to suite on the day, but I'd still be interested to know how people dealt with this specifically.

My advice would be not to go in there with a set short lesson plan in mind - a key thing is that they look for the ability to adapt, and if things go to shit because they asked for a lesson that was different from the one you researched, then it looks bad.

Sure, research stuff and get a feel for how teaching plans work if you've never taught, but don't go in there with a set idea.

Besides, 5 minutes doesn't require a lesson plan, 5 minutes is just busy work. Do easy English greetings, or talk about food ("what did you have for breakfast?"), depending on if they specify a level of lesson... which I doubt they would, considering that's something most people learn here.

They didn't even ask me for that, didn't ask me to sing, dance or anything. The worst question I got was "If you're required to teach a class of 40, how would you assist your JTE in controlling and monitoring the students?" My answer turned out to be exactly what I do now.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

One of the few things I got out of orientation (prefecture) was KISS - or Keep it Simple Stupid.

Some of the most effective lessons and activities I've done have been the simplest. So, for a sample lesson, you're better off coming up with something that the kids will understand how to participate in.

Pronunciation is really important, so a sample activity could just involve the kids parroting you - you could even make them repeat tongue twisters if you want it to be interesting. Even things like giving kids a sheet with a bunch of questions on them and getting them to interview other students works well.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

ok
    Last edited by AllGunsPoolside; July 29th, 2010 at 21:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi
    One of the few things I got out of orientation (prefecture) was KISS - or Keep it Simple Stupid.

Some of the most effective lessons and activities I've done have been the simplest. So, for a sample lesson, you're better off coming up with something that the kids will understand how to participate in.

Pronunciation is really important, so a sample activity could just involve the kids parroting you - you could even make them repeat tongue twisters if you want it to be interesting. Even things like giving kids a sheet with a bunch of questions on them and getting them to interview other students works well.
    Is that how you teach?!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I teach mostly from the textbook but make up activities to substitute for the parts of the book which are crap. I also make interesting lesson plans from time to time. But I only teach oral communication classes, so the all activities I make up are pretty much targeted at getting the kids to TALK.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

I don't agree with his teaching methods and I've never met him, his living in Ishikawa and all, but I reckon that Tim would be a really good sort of bloke that you could go to pub with.

I'm not present for reading, writing or grammar classes, only the OC ones.

The JTEs expect me to follow the same teaching methods that my predecessors have used. So basically, I have to use the set text book, whether I like it or not. That means both my ichi-nen and ni-nen classes are focused on learning a key dialogues and then doing activities related to that (san-nen, I can teach whatever I like though). The only flexibility I have is in teaching new words, pronouncing the words and making activities to consolidate what they've learnt.

Considering it's an OC class, I try and make the students communicate with each other as much as possible. Apart from pronunciation practice, I try to lay off the rote learning and get them to talk instead. Given the circumstances, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. How would you do things instead?

Yeah Dombay, if I ever find myself in Okayama/Hiroshima, I'll drop you a PM and we can grab a beer...
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Careful, Timoshi, you could be lined up for surprise sex.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    Careful, Timoshi, you could be lined up for surprise sex.
    I don't fuck just anyone, Sciby.

Having said which if I ever find you in my Japan except to find yourself handcuffed to a bed head.