Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what is a reasonable amount of time to learn hira and kana?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Not the ones I'm talking about. There's for really small children - don't you remember having similar ones with the alphabet when you were really tiny?
    ETA: Here we go, found this on amazon. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/reader/45...19#reader-page Only in Japanese, but you can at least look at the pages of the book. You'll see a demonstration page where some of the characters have been gone over with pencil and some haven't.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Not the ones I'm talking about. There's for really small children - don't you remember having similar ones with the alphabet when you were really tiny?
    Still am really tiny (5'4-5'5?)

The way I was taught Chinese they did in sequence of strokes, until you form the word. But yes I do vaguely remember tracing paper and "man have mouth" "man have hand" etc etc
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Cpt Blackadder on what to do if you trod on a mine.

Quote Originally Posted by FSEffect

You GIANT. (I'm 5'2" - and a bit)
    Check my edited post for a link to one of those books on amazon
    (for the OP, not you FSEffect, I'm assuming you already know the kana!)
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Quote Originally Posted by FSEffect

You GIANT. (I'm 5'2" - and a bit)
    Check my edited post for a link to one of those books on amazon
    (for the OP, not you FSEffect, I'm assuming you already know the kana!)
    Do I bollocks!

If you check my profile I can only read, write, and speak Cantonese and English, and my Cantonese writing/ reading is elementary at best.
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Cpt Blackadder on what to do if you trod on a mine.

I'm 6'4 and can wait for my Pizza number to be called in Cantonese? What do I win?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

A pizza!

Something that worked for me (I had an awesome high school Japanese teacher!) was learning 5 characters and then learning vocabulary that only used those characters. So you start with learning the vowels, then write words like AOI (blue), UE (house), IIE (no), AI (love) etc. Progress to the next line of the alphabet - KA, KI, KU, KE, KO and add them to the vowels to make new words, like AKAI (red), KOI (carp), KAO (face) etc.
    I think that's in the Genki writing practice book, isn't it? My teacher gave me photocopied sheets from somewhere, I think it was that book. Genki 1 is the course textbook anyway, so it would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank
    Something that worked for me (I had an awesome high school Japanese teacher!) was learning 5 characters and then learning vocabulary that only used those characters. So you start with learning the vowels, then write words like AOI (blue), UE (house), IIE (no), AI (love) etc. Progress to the next line of the alphabet - KA, KI, KU, KE, KO and add them to the vowels to make new words, like AKAI (red), KOI (carp), KAO (face) etc.
    I think that's in the Genki writing practice book, isn't it? My teacher gave me photocopied sheets from somewhere, I think it was that book. Genki 1 is the course textbook anyway, so it would make sense.
    God, Genki hadn't even been invented when I was in high school (I started Year 7 in 1981); and I've never used Genki.
    Maybe they stole my teacher's idea!

If you end up teaching Japanese, definitely give Genki a look. I have nothing to compare it to, mind, but I think it's great all the same.