Thread: English Board: Learning French: Proof/Romaji..?

Default English Board: Learning French: Proof/Romaji..?

For February, I will make the English board for my kids into an easy French board for something different. I'll have flip cards up there so they can turn up the cards for the English and Japanese meanings of the visible French word.

1. First, I wanted to make sure that I was remembering "Let's study French!" correctly when I wrote "Étudions le Français!"

2. For pronunciation breakdown, I decided to use the Roman alphabet because katakana just isn't...uh, close enough. But, I kind of suck at spelling a "sound." Can y'all help me if I screwed something up royally so that it's easy for them to pronounce? I'm not confident with my results...

[and if you want to use any of it, feel free. ^^]

Thanks for any help!

Étudions le Français!
    [eh-tuh-di-on le Fran-say] [Pronunciation] [発音]
    Let’s study French!
    フランス語を勉強しましょう!

Bon matin!
    [bohn mah-tan]
    (bon=good=良い) (matin=morning=朝)
    Good Morning!
    おはようございます!

Bonjour!
    [Bohn jurr]
    (jour=day=日)
    Good Afternoon! (Good day!)
    こんにちは!

Bon soir!
    [Bohn swahr]
    (nuit=night=夜)
    Good evening! (Good night!)
    こんばんは!

Merci!
    [mur-sea]
    Thank you!
    ありがとうございます!
    (Merci BEAUCOUP!=Thank you very much!=本当に、ありがとうございます!)
    [mur-sea boh-koo]

Au revoir!
    [ah re-vwa]
    Good-bye!
    さようなら!

Ciao!
    [chow]
    See you!
    じゃ、また!

Je vous en prie. [formal / 格式]
    [Je=I=私] [Vous=formal you=あなた]
    [jih vu en prii]
    You’re welcome.
    どういたしまして。

De rien. [Informal / 形式ばらない]
    [duh ryi-en]
    You're welcome.
    ども。

Je t’aime.
    [Je=I=私] [t’ (tu)=informal / 形式ばらない you=あなた]
    [Jih tehm—]
    I love you.
    愛している。

Mais…
    [Mai—…]
    But…
    でも。。。

S’il vous plait.
    [Sihl vu play]
    Please.
    お願いします。

Oui
    [we]
    Yes.
    はい。

Non
    [no—]
    No.
    いいえ。

Je sais.
    [Jih say]
    (je=I=私)
    I know.
    分かります/分かった。

Je ne sais pas.
    [jih neh say pah]
    (je=I=私) (ne…pas=not=~ない)
    I don’t know.
    分かりません/分からない。

C’est la vie!
    (C’est=It is=それが)
    (Say la 「V」)
    That’s life!
    それが人生だ。

Very good! I was thinking of doing something with French if I got over there, let me know how this turns out for you.

Couple things though...

In French, capital letters generally aren't written with accents on them, and a lot of things that would be capitalized in English aren't in French - days of the week, months of the year, names of languages. For your first sencence, "Etudions le français" would be a little more accurate, but that's really just nitpicky.

For "bon matin", remember that "nuit" is feminine, so the correct form is "bonne nuit".

"Ciao" is Italian. Try "Salut!"

A little Japanese specification, if you'll let me... 分かる means more "to understand" than to know, so the French would probably be more accurately given as "Je comprends." For "Je sais / Je ne sais pas", try しっている / しらない.

Great idea, though! Hope the suggestions help, and I really hope it goes well. Keep us posted!

ETA: "Bonsoir" is also one word.

分からない is the go to response for "I don't know (the answer to that question, etc), so its much better translated as Je ne sai pas. You'll almost never hear a student say 知らない, but you'll hear 分からない from you students, like, A LOT. Like more than anything else.

Yeah, unless they just go for the "eeeh?" or the blank face/please skip me look.

Default Re: English Board: Learning French: Proof/Romaji..?

Wow, that's great O_O Looks like you spent a lot of time figuring that out. I remember having lots of fun trying to teach my Japanese exchange student "bonjour" since she couldn't make the "je" sound

Are the "romanji" pronunciation guides you wrote using English pronunciation or Japanese? Make sure you specify, since "sea" could sound very different if it was pronounced as if it was romanji for Japanese text. Might also make it easier to write the pronunciation so the kids can tell where to put the stress (eg. Mehr-SEE). Some might work better written differently too, if you don't mind my input:

Étudions le Français! [eh-tuh-di-on le Fran-say] <-- "eh-too-dee-on" could work too.

Merci! [mur-sea] <--- "mehr-see" maybe?

Au revoir! [ah re-vwa] <-- "Oh" might work better than "Ah"

Default Re: English Board: Learning French: Proof/Romaji..?

Quote Originally Posted by katiebee
    Are the "romanji" pronunciation guides you wrote using English pronunciation or Japanese? ... Some might work better written differently too, if you don't mind my input:
    Yes, they're English pronunciations that I thought would work best for the students. I'll have to specify that. Thank you so much for your tips on ways to make it better. That's what I wanted the MOST from this thread because I'm not great at spelling in the pronunciation sense. *laughs* I've already changed a couple of them after hearing Japanese people one follow my pronunciation. Vvoo became vu, for example. Listening to them helped me a lot, too. Thank you for your suggestions. I like them a lot! As for the "je" sound...it's still not perfect, but it's the closest I got, lol!

enrique_suave
    Thank you for your tips, too! I agree with MostHolyPorcine about the 分からない, though. I know that, literally, it isn't right, but it's common speak here. I ALWAYS here 分からない from students, teachers, etc. You can tell the difference between 分からない in the "I don't know" sense and 分からない in the "I don't understand" sense, though. There's a different intonation and then, of course, there's context. I rarely ever hear 知らない. Actually, I'll be using 知ってますか。 on my board, though! One flipcard is in English and says, "Do you know?" while the other is in Japanese and says, 「知ってますか。」

Thanks for pointing out my typos, too. Bonsoir was a typo on my part because I had originally had bonne nuit there [thanks for correcting my spelling of that! I didn't realize it became feminine. I appreciate that!<3 ], and I deleted nuit and added soir because I realized that when I was typing, I wrote down the wrong thing...and so it became two words. :x My bad!

I also didn't realize that capital letters don't have accents, so thanks for that tip, too! I also...externally, I don't realize that there are things that shouldn't be capitalized. I think internally I recall it because I originally used a lowercase f, but then I was all, "What am I doing?" and went back and capitalized it! I think that's just because of the difference between my native tongue and I need to recall that they're not all capitalized. Thanks for calling that to my attention!! For the sentence, I'll just make the whole thing lowercase so they can still see the accent. I'm not sure if I'll keep the F capitalized or not. I have a feeling it might confuse them because I'm not teaching them French grammar at the same time and they might not pick up on the word....though, they're not idiots, so they might. They probably won't even pick up on it, so hmm.

Is "ciao" only Italian? I could have SWORN I remembered learning that in my French class when we learned a trillion different ways to say good-bye. I remember salut, too, so I can totally change it (is it "salût," or is that another incorrect memory of mine?)

皆さん、本当に、ありがとうございました!! I really appreciate it! :smt007

you can use ciao in french, but its more popular with those filthy french canadians than the onion munching variety

Ciao is absolutely an Italian word... of course, I'm one of those filthy French-Canadian, so I say it all the time anyway, and being an Italian major really doesn't help matters any. :P There's no harm in teaching it to the kids, though, even though it's not strictly French; it's certainly a common greeting pretty much everywhere in North America and Europe.

"Salut" is written with no accent.

I see your point about 分かる and 知ってる, I guess it's just a personal preference thing. Your way is probably best.

Also, don't worry about the masculine and feminine, it's easily the biggest pain in the ass there is about the romance languages. I'm a native-level speaker, and even I make mistakes - so do my teachers, even. It's not a huge deal. :P

Bonne chance!