Thread: Getting students to teach Japanese to ALTs for a class or 2?

Default Getting students to teach Japanese to ALTs for a class or 2?

This is the last week I'll be teaching my (genki) 3nenseis before they graduate, and I thought it may be fun for them to teach me Japanese for a class or two.

Of course the whole idea is to make them think about and use English, and I was wondering if anyone has ever done this before?

Can anyone think of some good ways to structure it so that they inadvertently learn as much English as possible?

.....................................................................................

So far, I'm thinking I might show them my Japanese textbook and get them in groups to come up with a 5 minute explanation of a dialogue or a sentence.

The other idea would be to get them to write a small passage in Japanese, and then get them to write questions in English.

Both ideas are kind of dry, I think...but I'm sure there's a way I can make something like this fun for them.

I'm just struggling to work out how?
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

I am not sure how to approach it, but that is a good idea. For English we had to teach poems to the class, and explain maths theorems. They may need a lot of prep and guidance
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Well, it sounds like a toughy, because even though you want them to teach you, you still want the focus to be on English.

You could get them to think of what Japanese they would like to teach you (cool stuff, slang, etc), but they have to translate it to English first, then they can tell you the Japanese and what each part means, in Eng.

That way, you'll get some Japanese, but more importantly, they'll be actively translating into English.

So pairs/groups, 5-10 minutes to think of cool phrases, then they come up and say it in English, then get you to say it in Japanese, then they explain it in Eng... go around the room, everyone has to listen so they don't repeat, done.

... I may steal this lesson... >.>
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Hmmm... I like the idea of it being open for them to come up with something interesting to teach.

I have 2 lessons, so I can have one where they work on it and one where they present it to the rest of the class (in groups of 3 would be good).

I might give them an exemplar in Spanish, so they can get an idea of what to do without being able to totally copy me either. I can make a template with things like an introduction, explanation (meaning, pronunciation, grammar, sentence structure, variations, whatever else I can think of) and a practice component, then get them to fill one out themselves before the present.

Looks like it's going to be fun!

Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Another idea is maybe not to teach you Japanese, but rather a Japanese custom or about their favourite band? Maybe have them translate music lyrics, but have you all sing the Japanese?
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"