Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local Ben

Default Local Ben

Learning it then?

My neighbours have been trying for months to teach me and I think i've got the hang of it. As long as you sound like you're a bag of shit from some scummy area then you're probably speaking Okayama ben. Then there's my town ben which is just impossible.

Anyway so you lot learning your bens?

I'm told that if i ever go to Osaka or Tokyo not to use okayama ben because it's embarassing.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I've tried a little bit, but I am not very good at Japanese in general....

My supervisor speaks "kansai-ben" and all the kids laugh at him. I can't tell what is so funny...

Once, I was talking to an older lady from my bitty village. I could hardly understand a word she was saying. I made guesses, asked her the question again in the Japanese I knew and she nodded and said what I assume was yes in a new way.

Weeks later, she ran up to my car at a stop light and gave me corn soup. Maybe I asked her for it in whatever language she was speaking. :smt005

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

oh i think i am learning it, no one says anything when i talk here in my area but i get loads of "what they hell are you saying" when i visit friends in tokyo or what not.
    kansai ben is cool, but it is not just one ben. there are differences all over the board. heres one expamle.

to go行く to come 来る
    so when saying not to come or dont come...

来ません or 来ない
    but in
    osaka its けへん
    kyoto its こへん
    shiga its けあらへん

and there are subtle nuances within each town and city as well, i am really interested in learning this kind of stuff, and do my best to speak in my local dialect whenever i can.....
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Okayama ben:

Sometimes simple things like 'That's pretty good hey?' - いいですね

somehow becomes:

*grunt*ぼけいええじゃな〜*gruntgrunt*

More authentic if you use a deep growly Melanie Safka style voice.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

それいいですね =   ほなええやん

まま = ぼちぼち

i love using everything i can , but my wife laughs at me sometimes and says i am trying to hard, becuse the first 3 years we knew eachother i didnt speak anything but tokyoben plus a few tohoku nasals and だべ's i learnd in high school

also love hearing what other local bens sound like so if you could post something here plus its tokyo-ben equal that would be cool
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I love Osaka-ben!
    In Toyama-ken 行きましょうか somehow becomes 行くちょうか (same for other verbs, too). There were lots, but I've forgotten most of it. "g" tends to be very nasal and sound like "ng" in Toyama (probably because it's so fricken cold up there everyone's nasal passages are frozen solid). I got told I sounded like a hick when I went to Tokyo.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    I love Osaka-ben!
    In Toyama-ken 行きましょうか somehow becomes 行くちょうか (same for other verbs, too). There were lots, but I've forgotten most of it. "g" tends to be very nasal and sound like "ng" in Toyama (probably because it's so fricken cold up there everyone's nasal passages are frozen solid). I got told I sounded like a hick when I went to Tokyo.
    I got told that in Osaka once!!

I've been told that I have an Okinawan accent when I speak Japanese, but Okinawa Hogen ("Uchinaaguchi") is basically a different language to Japanese.

Have only really learnt a few words.

Ganbatte = Chibaryo!
    Oh my God! = Ayena!
    Itai = Aga
    Yokoso = Mensore
    and a few more

Ichariba chode means "once met, we are brothers", which is a rather nice thought.
    fucking genki

I always know my boys are speaking in Hiroshima-ben when they stand right on top of me and say something. My JTE always says its Hiroshima-ben and hushes them away.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    I always know my boys are speaking in Hiroshima-ben when they stand right on top of me and say something. My JTE always says its Hiroshima-ben and hushes them away.
    Don't they speak Bingoben in your neck of the woods?

if so it's very similar to our bumfuck ben!

Haha, most probably
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

All I know of Yatsushiro/Kumamoto-ben so far is that Taigya = very. A quick look at denshi jisho tells me that taigyaku means high treason, lol. Hooray inaka ben!

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

I'm not interested in my local Ben. I don't swing that way. :P

In all seriousness, I quite like Saga dialect, and it's always fun to watch the jouzu crew have orgasms whenever I use it.

For those who care:

~te iru -> ~to
    ~te inai -> ~toran
    ~i -> ~ka, for example samui -> samuka
    Atsui -> nukka
    Samui -> hiyaka
    SAMUKUNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI?!?!?!? -> HIYONAKA?!?!?!??!?!?!?

There's also a REALLY hicksville version, or maybe it's just in my town, where they say "nshatta" for the past tense, eg kita -> kinshatta, tabeta -> tabenshatta, and "nshoran" for ~te inai eg kite inai -> kinshoran. This tends to only be used by older people, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BarcelonaDude
    All I know of Yatsushiro/Kumamoto-ben so far is that Taigya = very. A quick look at denshi jisho tells me that taigyaku means high treason, lol. Hooray inaka ben!
    Hee, the local banks here are called Saga Ginkou, which gets shortened to Sagin. I learned last year that "sagi" is Japanese for "fraud" or "scam". 8O
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

"Teach the gaijin Okayama-ben" is a popular game at enkais, resulting in hilarity all round. I encourage it, because I find it funny. I have learnt various things, including:

ください ー くらさい
    めんどくさい ー たいぎ
    おおきい ー でけ
    とても ー でいれい/ぼけ
    さむい ー さみ
    あつい ー あちぇえ

Also, my town has a different rendering of the janken chant, which I've never heard of anywhere else - instead of "janken hoi" or other variations on that theme, I have "jiketa". Anyone else have this, or are the kids in my town just retards?
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

Quote Originally Posted by neo_relina
    I've tried a little bit, but I am not very good at Japanese in general....

My supervisor speaks "kansai-ben" and all the kids laugh at him. I can't tell what is so funny...

Once, I was talking to an older lady from my bitty village. I could hardly understand a word she was saying. I made guesses, asked her the question again in the Japanese I knew and she nodded and said what I assume was yes in a new way.

Weeks later, she ran up to my car at a stop light and gave me corn soup. Maybe I asked her for it in whatever language she was speaking. :smt005
    Has anyone given you a definitive answer if there really even is a Nagano-ben? I'm out in the east side and everyone tells me that, while there a few things here and there, it's almost exactly the same as standard Japanese. Not sure if they just don't want to go to the trouble, though...

Pandilex

The thing I love most about Osaka ben or perhaps Kishiwada ben (my city within osaka, the 2nd dirtiest ben in japan apparently) is the way people use わ at the end of a sentence, which any textbook will tell you is for women.

もういいですよ!

becomes

もうええわ!

but the わ has a slightly different meaning, its a bit like よ though.

What's the dirtiest ben in Japan then? I reckon Okayama and Bingo would be fighting it out for roughest ben going.

Pandilex

I forgot, but they use words like われ and おまえ in general conversation and that's just the beginning of it lol

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    What's the dirtiest ben in Japan then? I reckon Okayama and Bingo would be fighting it out for roughest ben going.
    Bingo wins that fight by being called Bingo. My favourite train station is Bingo-Akasaka. It's fun to say

Really though, I think you've gotta give Okinawa some credit for not even speaking something intelligible as Japanese in terms of rough and dirty bens.
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

Quote Originally Posted by doublenatural
    Bingo wins that fight by being called Bingo. My favourite train station is Bingo-Akasaka. It's fun to say
    I take it you have been to the sex shop there