Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    Quote Originally Posted by doublenatural
    Bingo wins that fight by being called Bingo. My favourite train station is Bingo-Akasaka. It's fun to say
    I take it you have been to the sex shop there
    That's like 5 stations away from me!!

Is the sex shop any good?
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Well its opposite the yummy Indian restaurant. It had a lot of stuff. Its also the only sex shop I have ever been in, so I am not great to say.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    The thing I love most about Osaka ben or perhaps Kishiwada ben (my city within osaka, the 2nd dirtiest ben in japan apparently) is the way people use わ at the end of a sentence, which any textbook will tell you is for women.

もういいですよ!

becomes

もうええわ!

but the わ has a slightly different meaning, its a bit like よ though.
    Men use わ at the end of sentences that way here too, I think it's pretty standard.

Hokkaido ben isn't very different from standard Japanese. I can understand it but I don't use it unless I'm joking around.

I know there is some major Gunma-ben spoken by the geezers, and some youngsters here... I always try to learn it, but have been exposed to Tokyo-ben for too long to really remember any of it. But one that stands out is:

[~だろう] → [~だんべぇ]

Ha, my girlfriend says that I sound like the biggest hick if I say it, but I think it's fun to be different

Changing おれ to オラ is pretty inaka'y too, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman
    Ha, my girlfriend says that I sound like the biggest hick if I say it, but I think it's fun to be different

You need to hear how they speak down here. It's rougher than a donkey's arse. I've never encountered someone from Okayama who would voluntarily use Okayama-ben outside Okayama. It's too embarrassing.

[/b]
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

Quote Originally Posted by doublenatural
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman

You need to hear how they speak down here. It's rougher than a donkey's arse. I've never encountered someone from Okayama who would voluntarily use Okayama-ben outside Okayama. It's too embarrassing.

[/b]
    Me and Rin used it a little bit in Tokyo?

Proud of inaka ben we are!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    What's the dirtiest ben in Japan then? I reckon Okayama and Bingo would be fighting it out for roughest ben going.
    Don't forget Yamagata ben was the laughing stock of the country when it was used in the movie 'Swing Girls'.

When I hear the old folks of the place speak, they sound like they're either Inuit Throat Singing or in the middle of an abstract art performance!

and apparently the only word in Japanese that begins with ん is the Yamagata ben 'Yes' ’んだ’. I'm not sure I believe it entirely, you could quite easily say ’うん’ was the same thing. But you have loads of varieties of the 'んだ’ from city to city

んだざ、 んだべ、 んだがす、 んだつ etc

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

もかりまか?
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

i love the hakata/saga-ben going on in my town.

pretty much explained by kiwimusume

i would also add

がばい = とても, as recently made known to the rest of japan in the movie がばいおばあちゃん
    いる = おー、おる or formally おらす
    ている = とる、とー、pre-ます+おる or よる
    ~じゃない? = ~やん? 
    から = けん
    でも = ばってん
    だろう = ちゃろう

also generally putting と everywhere a tokyo person might put の

A: もしもし
    B: ハロー、元気?
    A: うん。ばってんほんとにがば寒かぁ~~~
    B: ね! ・・・ほら、どこにおると?
    A: 部屋でテレビを見とっちゃけど
    B: へえぇ、明日テストあるけん勉強しないといかんばい
    A: まぁ後で時間があるやん

i stick to formal tokyo style when talking with most people, but with little kids, friends, my boyfriend i will slip into dialect sometimes. i love it~~ everytime i hear something especially dialect-y i always smile to myself. :smt007

however. those obaachans and ojiichans might as well not even bother talking to me. not only is it crazy-old-person-voice but for some reason they talk to me like they would talk to a very small japanese child, which makes it extra hard to understand because it's baby talk

VIP

I don't know much, but I know that Kyushu/Nagasaki-ben adds a 'ba' onto things a lot. The one example I clearly know is:

いかなければならない (I must go) becomes: いかんば

I don't hear it super often though. A friend of my father's who was from Fukuoka said that 'in Sasebo there is a very strong Japanese accent', whatever that means.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Any Naganites know if there is a Nagano-ben? Someone a few months ago told them that my town has a ben and tried to teach it to me, but it was almost exactly like Tokyo-ben, with a couple strange sounds to replace ne and yo. Promptly forgot them, though.

Pandilex

anyone notice how you get complimented for osaka ben at such random times.

you use all the osaka words like ほんま and わからへん but you dont get complimented, then suddenly another time you will be...

theres some hidden element im missing cos my gf says she wants me to speak osaka ben, and im like huh im tryin...

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    Any Naganites know if there is a Nagano-ben? Someone a few months ago told them that my town has a ben and tried to teach it to me, but it was almost exactly like Tokyo-ben, with a couple strange sounds to replace ne and yo. Promptly forgot them, though.
    if you can read japper, then this is all you need!
    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%95%...96%B9%E8%A8%80

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    theres some hidden element im missing cos my gf says she wants me to speak osaka ben, and im like huh im tryin...
    i bet that most kansai'ers don't even realize what differentiates kansai-ben from tokyo-ben. if she is typical of most other japanese people, she probably doesn't have much experience outside her own region.

I am down in South Nagano, but there is a ben here. Whenever I feel like making the English office erupt into hysterics I use it. (None of them are from the area, and think it is funny that the ALT talks like a hick).

First of all, we and other prefectures with lots of snow have a special word:
    yukigamaru-- flurrying (lit. snow is dancing)

Shimoina-ben/Iida city (South Nagano) and maybe beyond:

dakara-->damonde
    desu/da/na-adjective ending-->dani
    i-adjective ending-->ni
    deshou-->dara
    takusan-->daibu (This last one is apparently super inaka hick sounding.)

Pandi - I thought everyone wanted to speak Osaka-ben, its supposed to be the cool lingo of the moment.

(Thought what an old crusty like me would know about it is debateable)

No Tsugaru-ben or any Aomori-ben compatriots?

なしてだべな。せば青森さ行ぐJET少ねぇはんでだびょん?だば話せる人もいねっきゃ。ばてなも方言喋んねば、不便もたらすことさなるはんでまいね、まいね!わー青森さいだ時、けやぐさ「津軽弁ちょっとすかへでけ!」どしゃんべだら、「へば、なわさじぇんこけ」ど言ったんず。せば、わきまげでまって、「おめはんかくせぇ」ど出でまったじゃ。

めぐせくてしゃんべねえ人もいるばってな。なも恥じるごとねぇじゃ!

Hehe, a little something to represent my peeps in Aomori.
    Keep the local dialects alive!! Dialect revitalization/linguistic pluralism is the way to go!

I think I killed this thread, and I am terribly sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    Well its opposite the yummy Indian restaurant. It had a lot of stuff. Its also the only sex shop I have ever been in, so I am not great to say.
    I've only been to that neck of the woods once, yet I did go to both the Indian place and the sex shop. I guess that's the thing to do over there.

Let's see about some Hiroshima-ben:

-だから becomes じゃけぇ or じゃけん
    -から becomes けぇ
    -V+ている becomes ておる so 食べてる is 食べとる
    -とても can be ぶち but it's not used so much anymore. my kids usually say めっちゃ (kansai?) or バリ.
    -verbs in the negative end with ん. 分からん、食べん、見ん.
    -何している?becomes 何しょうるん?or 何しょん?

I think some of these are used in other dialects, but they have in some way become incorportated into Hiroshima ben.