Thread: 6 kids in SHS Writing class

VIP

Default 6 kids in SHS Writing class

Hey guys,

So as the year ends, I find my SHS English writing class whittled down to 6 kids, as all the sannensei have buggered off to write tests.

We only have a couple lessons left, but since today all I could muster was to throw together a couple activities from Team Taugh Pizza and a game, I was wondering if any of you have a better idea?

It's all girls, 4/6 who are pretty low level. Of the other two, one is essentially fluent (grew up in the States and hangs with a Navy crowd) and the other is mid-level, not high but understands more than the other kids.

A bonus to any good ideas would be to cater towards the two girls with a bit more English, but they're both really easy about doing activities that are on the easier side for them.

Any ideas of what could be done with two lessons left, 6 kids, and a writing focus? They don't have a lot of attention span soemtimes, and are more prone to get involved with creative or move-around activities. Otherwise the cellphones tend to get pulled out.

Thanks for all input, I just thought I'd throw this out there in case anybody could gimme a hand. ^^
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Maybe have them design a poster for a holiday, or a brochure for more writing. Then as a group give a presentation?
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Take a digital camera to class and some stuffed animals (I know you've got them). Have the students make a children's picture book starring them and/or the animals, that only uses school locations. Walk the students around the school taking photos of the animals in various locations and positions to fit the story they have written
    Before your next lesson, print the photos out and stick them in a blank book, leaving space for the students to write in the words. Then arrange for them to give the book to a local elementary school or something.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

If you're too lazy to do Wicket's neat idea, you can generate blank comics on the net, print them out and get the kids to fill in the blanks, creating a story... or as my JTE's would say "make your story".

http://stripgenerator.com/create/ - easy one... just google for comic book creator or generator...

http://www.wittycomics.com/make-comic.php - with realistic pictures.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

yo kate, i got 4 girls in my JHS 3nensei class and what I did with them over 2 classes was to translate a children's book from Japanese to English. The first class we translated the book (a very very simple picture book with minimal text) and the second class we wrote the book out on fancy white paper and drew accompanying pictures. They seemed to really enjoy it. Apparently they read the story for the elementary school students in grade 1 next door too.

VIP

Those are some great ideas guys, thanks! I actually have already done the comic strips with them, with hilarious results, and used penny-arcade.

I'm still not sure what to do with the girls who are left. We have very few classes remaining. I'm tempted by the translate a book idea, but the girls might just stall for time and not really complete it, as they tend to do. That's an amazing idea wicket, but I don't know if we have the time at this point. Fuck you're motivated.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.