Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JLPT 08

Default JLPT 08

Anyone thinking of their fail as a great motivation to start studying hard for this year?

What level etc?

Me:

2q. Started studying the day after the last one.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I didn't take one this year, but I'm hoping to study just got for 3kyu. I didn't know anything at all when I got here, so I would be pleased with that.
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

I didn't know anything when I got here too ... but I live in the sorts of inaka where the birds fall out of the sky so ...

and I think you've been here a bit longer than me (I'm a first year).
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Zan

You should be able to crack 2q in your second year if you study harder than I did!

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan

You should be able to crack 2q in your second year if you study harder than I did!
    Vaguely possible, not at all probably. Given my current ability (or, er, lack of same) I'll cout myself lucky with the 3kyu.

Considering I did not fail too terribly, I should go for 2-kyuu, but then again I would like to pass Either way I am study like a mofo.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Passed 3-kyuu, but not spectacularly.

I've got a long way to go, but I'll be going for 2-kyuu this December. I figure if I'm going to be here another year, I might as well learn something.

Got results. Depressing!

But really motivated by them. My listening score was atrocious. Going to try to focus on that! I cannot understand why the listening score was so bad? I didn't think it was hard at all at the time ...

2q 08 here we come!

To those of you that passed 3q congratulations but if you want to take 2q this year may I suggest that you start studying now and don't stop until the day of the test because it's a prick.

I'm planning on getting slaughtered by 1kyuu next year.

Have you got your results for the test this year Dombay?
    I was just thinking that the results should be out quite soon.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Doing 2kyuu in 08. The day after 3kyuu I did a practice test for 2kyuu from 1991 and got a little over 50% (don't remember exactly). I've done 3 more practice ones since and am averaging 56% - strangely I always pass the listening section with 80 or more, and Reading is okay; it's that bastard first section that fucks me up every time!
    Using the Unicom Reading and Grammar preparation books. Will probably buy the listening one, too. Translating one reading exercise per day. Also doing the CLAIR advanced course.
    What's everyone else using?
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Right now I'm just slogging through my genki text book. I want to get a proper JPLT study text book though, especially with some sort of listening component. My listening skills are absolutely terrible. It's really stopping me from progressing, even though I'm studying hard to try and increase my (admittedly, very small) vocab, and will really really screw me come exam time.

Nothing like your 2kyu standard, I'll be insanely happy if I make it to somewhere near 3kyu level in time for the exam (my current state of my Japanese seems to run somewhat equal to my most dazed/retarded English class), but it's a big step for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ENAY
    Have you got your results for the test this year Dombay?
    I was just thinking that the results should be out quite soon.
    Yea I failed 2q!

But i'm just feeling really motivated by it which is unusual. I was really even a bit reluctant to do it because I thought if I failed which I knew I probably would it would make me all discouraged. So in a way I think this failure is probably better than say a slight pass and not learning everything properly.

Ah, sorry to hear that Dombay. Well if I'd have taken 2kyuu I'd have definitely failed. I had a look at it the other day, kanji was not too bad, but grammar, yikes.

I still haven't got my results yet, was the same last year, got my results nearly 2 weeks late. Ah well, the tension goes on. I think mine is at the very bottom of the pile and last to be sent out, or something.

I'm always motivated to carry on learning whether I fail or not, but usually not in the academic order it is on the JLPT tests.

他人の不幸は蜜の味

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Doing 2kyuu in 08. The day after 3kyuu I did a practice test for 2kyuu from 1991 and got a little over 50% (don't remember exactly). I've done 3 more practice ones since and am averaging 56% - strangely I always pass the listening section with 80 or more, and Reading is okay; it's that bastard first section that fucks me up every time!
    Using the Unicom Reading and Grammar preparation books. Will probably buy the listening one, too. Translating one reading exercise per day. Also doing the CLAIR advanced course.
    What's everyone else using?
    Obviously you've got a lot of time to prepare so you should be fine, but be wary of comparing the very old 2kyuu practice tests to the current ones. The old tests are much easier and are probably about halfway between current 3kyuu and 2kyuu.

While studying for the last test, I was averaging around 88% on tests from the 90s and around 75% on tests after 2003. That means I was getting twice as many problems wrong. The listening has especially gotten harder--my listening average dropped about 25% from the old ones. Take last years test and see how you do...

I think it would be smart for me to go for 1-kyu this year since I didn't bother doing anything for 2007.

I skipped last years test, but passed 3kyuu without much trouble the year before that. So I will most likely be taking 2kyuu this year, hopefully Ill be in Japan when I do so. I got a lot of studying to do if I don't wanna fail miserably.

I'm going for 2q this year too!

Though I just barely passed 3 :?