Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JLPT 08

2 kyuu for me too this year! should be exciting, twill be my stress baby for this year
    Polyester: Fabric from the rendered fat of dinosaurs. Amazing.

I passed the 07 2kyuu by the skin of my teeth, my reading section was atrocious and clearly needs massive work. I guess I'll have a crack at the 1kyuu this year but I doubt I'll be up to it in time, there's a vast difference between the two, before you even think about the 70% passing grade of the 1kyuu.

I skipped last year but will be going for 2kyuu as well. Vocab and grammar is good but my kanji is beyond atrocious, DAMN YOU IME AND RIKAICHAN so I really really need to study.

I didn't take the JLPT last year but I'm going for 2kyuu. I'm studying 20 words and bunches of kanji a day, although I have to review them again once in a while. But in the end I know I'm gonna fail because of the listening section. :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyHiphopper
    But in the end I know I'm gonna fail because of the listening section. :cry:
    They why not cut it down to 10 words a day and practice some listening instead? You've got time after all, the test isn't until December.
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Oh, I still practice listening: watching TV, running old anime episodes on my computer without watching it and trying to understand the conversation, talking to the teachers and not understanding half of what they're saying. But my listening is barely improving; it's annoying as hell. That's why I excessively study vocabulary because I think it will magically improve my crappy listening.

How are people improving their listening skills?

My friend who took 2kyuu hired a lady to basically have a conversation with her for two hours (a week?). She would ask her questions to make sure she could understand what she was talking about. I believe it helped her a lot
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Yeah I'm starting private Japanese lessons next week, for an hour and a half...looking forward to finally making some real progress, as once you have enough to get by it's hard to motivate yourself.

Hmm, I should look into private lessons as well. Thanks for the idea, Narniaru!

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

BunnyHiphopper, get the Unicom listening practice book - tons of examples of questions just like the ones in the test, with the scripts and explanations.
    And do past tests from the internet that have the sound files attached.
    It worked for me - 87% on 3-kyu and already getting 75% on 2-kyu listening tests (sadly failing the kanji/vocab section badly, but now that I have kakitori kun things are improving slowly).
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Hey wicket, which internet sites are you looking at for those sound files? I've been googling around and only found blogs and podcasts in Japanese (and a site with mp3 files for vocabulary building, cool). Are you referring to the past tests from jlpt.info?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Hey wicket, are you referring to the past tests from jlpt.info?
    Yep, they're the ones! Takes a bit of screwing around to find the files, plus you have to be registered, but it's worth it!
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Hey wicket, are you referring to the past tests from jlpt.info?
    Yep, they're the ones! Takes a bit of screwing around to find the files, plus you have to be registered, but it's worth it!
    Every time I try to get to that page I get the 'problem loading page' error. What am I doing wrong?
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Don't worry Zan, you're not the only one. I'm guessing the site's down for a while.

New JET coming to Iwate in August. Only self taught Japanese so far but I have decided to go for 3kyu. And as dombay is so convinced, inaka is a great incentive to study so I should be good.

Listening really freaks me out. I was doing a Berlitz course before and I was fine. Then Japanese for Jets came and it was like Oh my God, they do speak fast. Hopefully when I am listening every day it'll improve.

The trick however is to stay active and listen as opposed to just tuning out because you can't understand. (Like at morning meetings and stuff. I mean if you really think about you have more opportunity to practice listening every day than any other skill.)