Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2kyuu books

Pandilex

Default 2kyuu books

looooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllll

so I bought the JLPT 4 kyuu book, and it was super straightforward.

I bought the JLPT 3 kyuu book to study for the test I took and passed, and it was a bit weirdly laid out and all in Japanese but it was possible to study from it and was quite good if you go through it with a teacher

but I bought the 2 kyuu book and WTF it doesnt make sense, its like some crazed fool has just scribbled random notes on random pages about various bits of grammar they were thinking about at the time.

Plus about 85% of the book seems to be listening tests...

I am mighty confused as to what I should do. The only way I can pass exams is if I have a comprehensive A-Z of this is what you must learn to pass book.

Ideas?

Buy the book with the previous year's test and go through it with a J-nin so they can tell you wtf is going on?

So many books I can tell you about that I've loved and hated ... so 3am ... will edit this post when I wake up again.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

There are 4 Unicom books for 2-kyuu. Is that what you're using?
    There's also a book that has the content specifications for levels 1-4 - might be worth getting that. That's what it's called "Content specifications for JLPT". Or I can photocopy the relevant parts for you and post them to your school or something. PM me with the address if you want.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Pandilex

ooh ooh 4 books?

I have various books, I imagine most probably cover the subject material for 2kyuu but probably have bits missing or extra bits etc.

The book in question is simply called The Preperatory Course for The Japanese Language Proficiency Test. It is blue with yellow rectangles on. Yes it's unicom, but there are more books by unicom? Perhaps this book is a listening book since it seems to be mostly filled with listening questions? What's the kanji for listening, I'm too used to リスニング in katakana...

I can't make head nor tail of it. Perhaps I should sit down with a dictionary and spend 30 minutes translating the contents page...

Other books are from Japan Times, but not the genki ones, there's an intermediate book as well...

Aha yes I translated a kanji and it told me it's for listening! If the test involves buying the correct book to study from, put me down for a resit already...

A bit naughty though to do that considering the book looks IDENTICAL to the other ones. I jumped on amazon and just went click buy done got it two days later...

A quick look on amazon reveals tons of books! One seems to be a reading one... Isn't there just a standard one like there was for 3 kyuu? If you have the ISBN number it'd be helpful cos some of them don't have pictures of the book... Or do I need to buy more books as 2 kyuu is harder?

Helloooooooo

So yea, 2q is a completely different kettle of fish to 3 and 4. You cannot survive with just one book - you need many - i have a bookshelf full.

The thing is that there's just a shitload more material covered in 2 than there is in one.

So there's 5 different kanzen master books for 2q (listening, grammar, vocab, kanji reading and I think maybe a general one).

I own them all except the listening one where I have the unicom one. I like that one better.

Grammar one I like but it's more like a list with examples - and so it's better as a guide or supplement. Vocab is pretty good but boring as batshit. Kanji I like because you do it from a CD, reading is boring as batshit.

For grammar I use the Aruku dictionary book along with the Kanzen master. I find that good then write my own examples using a kokugo practice book from the homecentre and for kanji I like the Bonjinsha Intermediate Kanji book. However the green one is full of 1q kanji so it's not really targeted enough but I like it anyway and if i learn too many kanji that's not so much the problem as learning too little. speedanki.com is really good for kanji.

For reading I am reading Harry Potter at the moment in Japanese which I find had really improved my reading speed and kanji as well. But I also read as much of the newspaper as I can at work and just anything I can find like train network maps and stuff.

I also like the DS kanji games. I like the Kanken one but it's got JLPT kanji all over the shop. I used and am using again for revision the Shogakusei Tori - something ... blue case game for all the primary school kanji. It's a bit childish but not nearly as boring as it looks for some reason ... mabye just because I like kanji.

Be warned. 2q is a bastard. You're going to need to study hard. I was only studying 2q from about August and I failed so start now and dont stop until the test is over.

Hey Pandi, so the Unicom one with the rectangles is, as you figured out, for the listening test. There is one will spheres on it that is for the Reading/Grammar test. The ISBN is 4896894537
    The others are listed on the inside flap of the cover of both the listening and reading books (sorry, haven't bought them yet). One is for vocab/writing; one is kanji drills (I think, I'm trying to read it in kanji fuck it).
    BTW, there are two Unicom books for Level 3 - one is grammar, the other is listening. I only had the grammar one.
    But this time I'm going all out!
    Forget Amazon. Just go to Kinokuniya in Umeda - they stock the full range.
    And let me know if you want those content specifications (warning, the whole thing is in Japanese).
    Pity you live so far from me. I could do with a study-buddy.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Pandilex

All right! Now I have to work out what's good for me!

My DS is for zelda. None of those games are any use for me, I've played a few and learned absolutely NOTHING from them. I dunno how people can ;/

I'm too lazy to go into Osaka for book shopping when I can do it online...

How on earth can you read a novel in Japanese? I end up looking up every third word in the dictionary. I was reading dragonball manga but it took about 5 minutes per single page...

Perhaps my Japanese sucks hehe

Oh and you said about one book being like grammar with examples? Perhaps thats like the 3kyuu book I had... it kicked ass because I went through it with my teacher each lesson, and step by step I just yummed up the grammar. I love grammar cos its so straightfoward. That's prolly why I scored quite high in the grammar part of the 3kyuu test.

Vocab is my weakness;x

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    I used and am using again for revision the Shogakusei Tori - something ... blue case game for all the primary school kanji.
    Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-kun?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    My DS is for zelda. None of those games are any use for me, I've played a few and learned absolutely NOTHING from them. I dunno how people can ;/
    I have an awesome DS kanji game called 大人の漢字練習, which is really frickin useful for drilling stroke order, readings->kanji and kanji->readings. It's not a game so much as a drilling system and tests. Yeah, there's no English in it (I use it alongside an electronic dictionary), but I know more obscure readings of kanji than you can shake a stick at thanks to this game, not to mention I get to sit at my desk, play DS, and still look studious and dedicated. It's also got a whole bunch of kanji related minigames and little stick people who dance when you get the answer right. It's obviously far less childish than most games as implied by the title. It hasn't replaced books and flashcards for me, but I've found it to be a useful study tool for when I can't bear to look at another book.
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

Pandi: Have you read Harry Potter in English - I like reading them in J because I like the stories in English. Also Tintin (Tantan here). I like it in English and have read it in German and French too (painstakingly). You can get them in Japanese.

Both of them have furigana everywhere however I found that the first 10 or so pages I was using my dictionary a lot but after that I didn't need it very much at all. It's hard to start but gets easier and easier and it's excellent practice.

Yes if you mean the red Kanzen Master book for 3q then the green one for grammar is like a 2q version but there is no English in it. I recommend using it along side the Aruku or Japanese Times (though not as good imo) grammar dictionaries and then writing your own examples based on theirs.

But it only covers grammar. The big points are in the reading section so you cannot do badly in that.

And yes Vocab is my weakest point and Kanji my strongest but they're in the same bloody section which sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingChestnut
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    I used and am using again for revision the Shogakusei Tori - something ... blue case game for all the primary school kanji.
    Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-kun?
    Yea that's it! It's got a silly looking square bird on the front. Great game.

And Zelda! I'm playing Majora's Mask on my old N64 at the moment in Japanese. Good stuff though I don't think it's that good of practice it's still fun.

Pandilex

I have 4-5 DS games I downloaded for kanji study but I don't learn anything from them so I gave up.

I am unsure if I will learn anything from reading either, I don't seem to remember words unless I use them in conversation..

I don't think I have any kanzen master books but I will check. I am interested in Tin Tin, I used to read that a lot =)

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I have 4-5 DS games I downloaded for kanji study but I don't learn anything from them so I gave up.

I am unsure if I will learn anything from reading either, I don't seem to remember words unless I use them in conversation..

I don't think I have any kanzen master books but I will check. I am interested in Tin Tin, I used to read that a lot =)
    I love Tintin. You can get the Japanese versions on Amazon - i bought a few for the natsukashii and they're pretty good practice

Reading is more to improve your reading speed. You need to be fast in the 2q reading section because you have no time to fuck around.

Unfortunately Tin-Tin and Harry Potter rarely come up on the test. I'm using newspaper articles. Tuesday's Japan Times has articles in Japanese with a glossary, annotated with furigana and an English translation is provided. I translate it myself and then check what I've done.
    From what I can see on the practice tests, the Reading/Grammar seems to be similar to newspaper articles.

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    Unfortunately Tin-Tin and Harry Potter rarely come up on the test. I'm using newspaper articles. Tuesday's Japan Times has articles in Japanese with a glossary, annotated with furigana and an English translation is provided. I translate it myself and then check what I've done.
    From what I can see on the practice tests, the Reading/Grammar seems to be similar to newspaper articles.
    Tintin and Harry Potter don't need to come up on the test.

They are simply to increase your vocabulary and increase your reading speed. You don't have time to mess around in the 2q reading section and you need to be able to read the passages (long) quickly and accurately. Tintin and Harry Potter are just interesting practice.

I agree that newspapers are too but they're not nearly as interesting. There is some newspaper article type questions but there's also academic journals, reports, stories and all other kinds of things they can include.

Yeah, sorry, just not a big Harry Potter fan.
    I never read the whole article, either. I read the questions then look for the key words by skimming the article. Although there was plenty of time to read the whole thing in 3kyuu, everyone says 2kyuu time goes fast; my practice goes so far tell me this is the strategy for me.
    BTW, Dombay, this is the right kanji for present, right, (as in present time):
    現在

Genzai? Yep!

i read the articles the whole way through and i had time to read them and do the questions. But I can read fast. I think the questions were pretty tricky though I haven't seen the test since I took it.

I used the four Unicom books, plus the Kanzen Master grammar book and a pink Unicom book that reviews grammar and vocab for 1kyuu and 2kyuu. I also had 3 books of just practice tests.

I recommend taking a practice test first to find out what your weakness is, and then focus your studies on that.

Wicket, reading the questions first and skimming for the answers is a really good strategy, not just on the JLPT but for any test. It's also good to do all the short reading questions first and save the long one for last.

I disagree (but then I failed?). Do the longer questions first. They take the most time and you don't want to be rushed for them because they are worth the most marks.