Thread: ESS - supplies to use/buy

Default ESS - supplies to use/buy

I have been told we have about 15000Y to spend on new supplies for the ESS club, and was after some suggestions of what to get, and also where to get it from.

I was thinking perhaps a new board game (we have pictionary, scrabble, uno, jenga) some new DVDs (however movies seem to be too long, any suggestions of TV shows?) and perhaps an english magazine subscription...

Help?
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

bottle of blue label

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

what do you have? i mean is it already pretty decked out? do you have computer and projection screens and stuff, or is it bare bones?
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

We have a TV and DVD player (no need for a projection screen, not enough kids) about 5 boardgames, a few various card games, about 5 DVDs which they have already seen...

The problem I have is that the kids are not that confident, not only in English but just in general. When I ask what theyd like to do for the afternoon, they all stare at each other and no one talks...

So, Im thinking a subscription to something like Teen Vogue (the celeb/trash magazines I brought back at Christmas went down a treat, some have even gone missing), a new game or two, maybe a simple kids cookbook and a TV series on DVD??

But, I have no experience with clubs like this so perhaps there are some things which I am missing and dont know it?
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson.

boggle can be a good game
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Guess Who worked for me.

Apparently the foreign buyers club, flying pig or something has it.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Ooh, good suggestions guys - I had forgotten about those games!

Hunter S. Thompson.

We had the same discussion at ESS last week. My kids opted for the Game of Life in English, chess (not sure of the English merit to that!), top trumps, a dvd (probably High School Musical) and some children's books (if I can think of some titles that are not too difficult).

Basically, they love playing games and are not much interested in anything else which is fine by me.

Funnily enough, the other alt at my school and I had this very conversation this afternoon... our ESS kids are kinda directionless now, whereas they had 3rd years who were self-starters and led the way... now they're all apathetic.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Default Re: ESS - supplies to use/buy

Quote Originally Posted by lains
    I have been told we have about 15000Y to spend on new supplies for the ESS club, and was after some suggestions of what to get, and also where to get it from.

I was thinking perhaps a new board game (we have pictionary, scrabble, uno, jenga) some new DVDs (however movies seem to be too long, any suggestions of TV shows?) and perhaps an english magazine subscription...

Help?
    Monopoly, QI, and NewScientist, from the internet.
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Cpt Blackadder on what to do if you trod on a mine.

You really have no idea about the level of english in public schools do you?

The 'other ALT'.

Fuck I share my town with a bunch of Chinese Fisherman and a CIR they import from the next town.

I cannot remember the last time I spoke English. Just typed it.

Fuck you.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    I've been told it's pants so throw em in the deep end first

If that's the case Junior Monopoly, Mr Bean, and The Sun (though its not a magazine)
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Cpt Blackadder on what to do if you trod on a mine.

Quote Originally Posted by FSEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    I've been told it's pants so throw em in the deep end first

If that's the case Junior Monopoly, Mr Bean, and The Sun (though its not a magazine)

Just buy some crayons and give em a picture of doraemon to color in.

VIP

Cards is popular with my kids, if you don't have access to board games. Go fish was good 'cause you just teach them the basics. Crazy 8s worked to get them to practice numbers and suits. They're kinda 'durp' games but they like the practice and they like learning the western style games. Plus it beats sitting and staring at each other.

If you can too, cook with them! We're gonna use the kitchens and make valentine's day cookies together today, for the girls to keep and hopefully enough to share with the teachers. :3 The supplies can be reimbursed by your budget.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.