Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed recontracting peoples

With the possible exception of a handful of countries and there is only one and we don't really know which one it is HIV came to all countries via foreigners.

What his student said was racist and it sounds to me like it was designed to make the foreigner angry. She sounds like a stuck up little princess bitchface to me who smugly tried to show the foreigner, got shown up herself and then went and had a whinge about the big bad foreigner because she lost and was made to look like the smug little bitch that she is.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

How do you know she's not purely misinformed?
    She's a high school student, not an epidimiologist/ virologist/ microbiologist/ medical student/ other occupation that means she's more informed.
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Cpt Blackadder on what to do if you trod on a mine.

Well, the AIDS lesson incident was part of the reason, of course. But I think it is unlikely to be the only reason. It definitely played a really big part in the school's decision to not recontract.
    Perhaps in a sane country, where the PTA doesn't eat the heads off babies to fuel their lust for dominating a school.

All that would need to happen is for that child to tell her parents in big, gulping sobs that the nasty foreigner roared at her in front of the class for stating a commonly held belief and the PTA will get a call and go on the warpath.

And his sup hated him. Could be either. Certainly didn't help though, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dombay
    What his student said was racist and it sounds to me like it was designed to make the foreigner angry.
    I"m not sure how you can label it racist - you said yourself that AIDS is a foreign disease to Japan. With the child's limited English abilities, "Don't have sex with foreigners" isn't bad advice. It might be naive and shortsighted, but it's not bad.

If she had been able to say "There are many factors with influx of AIDS into Japan, much caused by the innate stupidity of horny salarymen on sex tours of Thailand, as well as the importation of tainted sex workers, plus unsafe sex practices..." would make things much more clear, but sadly, she couldn't.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Dombay
    What his student said was racist and it sounds to me like it was designed to make the foreigner angry.
    I"m not sure how you can label it racist - you said yourself that AIDS is a foreign disease to Japan. With the child's limited English abilities, "Don't have sex with foreigners" isn't bad advice. It might be naive and shortsighted, but it's not bad.
    [/quote]

That's not really what dombay said...he said AIDS is a foreign disease to EVERY country where it didn't originate. They may not talk about it, but Japanese people do have AIDS and other STDs. Is it safer to have unprotected sex with a Japanese than to have protected sex with a foreigner? "Don't have sex with foreigners" is TERRIBLE advice (and pretty inappropriate, too. I'm sure he was looking for answer more like spend money on a cure, or tell more people about the risks, etc, not a blanket statement on sexual activities). Japanese people give japanese people AIDS, it happens. Japan has been lucky is mostly avoiding the levels of the global epidemic, but that doesn't mean it isn't a Japanese problem too. "Don't have sex with foreigners"...it's impossible to interpret that in any way but xenophobia, which is a reflection of the culture, but a HS kid should know better.

This just came to me, and it may be completely wrong, but...Do you think there is any chance that they thought, because you were so vehemently against the concept of japanese not sleeping with gaijin, that they thought you might want to get with one of your students?

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    With the possible exception of a handful of countries and there is only one and we don't really know which one it is HIV came to all countries via foreigners.

+10
    Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    Yea...he probably shouldn't have called her stupid (though I've seen plenty of Japanese teachers call their students stupid, often to the point of tears).
    now that I think of it, you're right. In the states, humiliating a student like that would be as bad as it's being made out to be... but here it shouldn't have been an issue. I can't even count how many times teachers just tear down kids in the hall or in the staff room.

What his student said was racist and it sounds to me like it was designed to make the foreigner angry. She sounds like a stuck up little princess bitchface to me who smugly tried to show the foreigner, got shown up herself and then went and had a whinge about the big bad foreigner because she lost and was made to look like the smug little bitch that she is.
    I'm going to have to agree with dombay here. I have two second-years at my middle school who are dumbass sacks of shit. No matter what I do or say, it's funny to them. They're like Bevis and Butthead.

Butthead: Huh huh . . . Huh huh . . . like, Rin's got his hands in his pockets . . . Huh Huh . . . Huh huh . . .
    Bevis: Heh heh . . . Heh heh . . . Like, just 'cause it's, like freezing, why the fuck would he have his hands in his pockets? Dumbass gaijin . . . heh heh . . . heh heh . . .

Butthead: Huh huh . . . Huh huh . . . like, Rin, like, just said something in English again . . . Huh Huh . . . Huh huh . . .
    Bevis: Heh heh . . . Heh heh . . . Like, just 'cause it's, like English class, why the fuck would he be here speaking, like, English? Dumbass gaijin . . . heh heh . . . heh heh . . .

"Don't sex foreigner" smacks far too heavily of that same sort of utter bullshit to be "poor misinformed inaka girl".
    教育を要らない
    思想統制も要らない
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    3 years later - it aint culture shock. Japan's just got its priorities wrong here.

No doubt some kids just plain wanna fuck with the ALT (and not in the fun, illegal way). I had boys in the last 3rd year class who would openly give me shit about wearing the same clothes. (Yay for 20kg baggage limits.)

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    That's not really what dombay said...he said AIDS is a foreign disease to EVERY country where it didn't originate.
    ... which includes Japan.

They may not talk about it, but Japanese people do have AIDS and other STDs. Is it safer to have unprotected sex with a Japanese than to have protected sex with a foreigner? "Don't have sex with foreigners" is TERRIBLE advice (and pretty inappropriate, too.
    Absolutely, but it shows they were at least thinking. Where does AIDS come from? Not Japan. How do I avoid AIDs? By not having sex with foreigners.

Is it direct racism on her behalf to rile up Erdrick? Maybe, maybe no, but only she knows that.

Japanese people give japanese people AIDS, it happens.
    Again, absolutely, but many Japanese apparently assume that Japanese people are pure and that STD and AIDS are a foreigner thing. It's both ignorance and blind faith that Japan can do no wrong. This is why when a Jap team loses a game on TV (any sport will do), the highlights will be Japan doing wonderful things, and not a shot of the winning team.

"Don't have sex with foreigners"...it's impossible to interpret that in any way but xenophobia, which is a reflection of the culture, but a HS kid should know better.
    Sorry, but it can be easily taken as the absolutely terrible, yet somewhat accurate advice from a child who's trying to express themselves in another language. It's missing vital information, and she probably never even considered that part of the problem is internal to Japan... like a lot of other issues that happen here. The irony is that simpleminded thinking like that would actually cause xenophobia, rather than be caused by it.

This just came to me, and it may be completely wrong, but...Do you think there is any chance that they thought, because you were so vehemently against the concept of japanese not sleeping with gaijin, that they thought you might want to get with one of your students?
    Good point.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    Absolutely, but it shows they were at least thinking. Where does AIDS come from? Not Japan. How do I avoid AIDs? By not having sex with foreigners.

Is it direct racism on her behalf to rile up Erdrick? Maybe, maybe no, but only she knows that.

Japanese people give japanese people AIDS, it happens.
    Again, absolutely, but many Japanese apparently assume that Japanese people are pure and that STD and AIDS are a foreigner thing. It's both ignorance and blind faith that Japan can do no wrong. This is why when a Jap team loses a game on TV (any sport will do), the highlights will be Japan doing wonderful things, and not a shot of the winning team.
    But AIDS does come from Japan...I gather that was the whole point of the lesson, that it is a global problem effecting every country in the world, which she obviously missed by a mile.

And, yea, Japanese generally do assume they are pure and wonderful and great and can do no wrong. Which is why I love that he gave her shit about that xenophobic remark that probably wasn't meant to be completely malicious. This whole society needs a stern talking to and be taken down a couple notches on the holier than thou scale.

Hey, if grad school doesn't work out, do you think he could become a TV personality on NHK? Sort it Out Japan!:Tea Time with Erdick! 15 minutes of berating the people of the country for one of their many faults, always end with "I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed in you," with a sigh and slight shaking of your head. I would totally watch it (and actually pay my NHK bill...)

But AIDS does come from Japan...I gather that was the whole point of the lesson, that it is a global problem effecting every country in the world, which she obviously missed by a mile.
    There's a difference between "originate" and "is present in" though... but yes, she missed the point and so on.

The show would go over well. I think he could probably do it, (Although if he's to use my quote of "Sort it out Japan", he's going to owe me royalties, just like Wicket does)...

I brought up the whaling issue last night with a group of professionals, fully expecting stern looks... but it was a very interesting discussion. At first they were following the party line of "it's for research", "it's traditional food", but then realised that I wasn't going to yell at them and that I was curious to what they thought, they told me that not many people really eat it anymore and that not even they believe it's for research.

I even mentioned "tatemae" and "hon'ne", expecting to have my understanding of them wrong, and to get a bit of backlash, but they acknowledged that they played a part in it all.

It a bit of relief to know that at least some people in Japan are levelheaded.

The last question was "why the increase in incidence in JAPAN", so like Dombay says, "foreign disease, don't bang foreigners, don't get disease" is a logical way of thinking, though it's by a few
    thousand miles off.

Trend does not equal cause
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Cpt Blackadder on what to do if you trod on a mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sciby
    The show would go over well. I think he could probably do it, (Although if he's to use my quote of "Sort it out Japan", he's going to owe me royalties, just like Wicket does)...
    Sorry to burst your bubble mate, but...Like every brit I know says "sort it out." One guy in town says "Sort it out, Japan" like 40 times a night. Gotten to the point where I may need to smack him.

I guess I can't discount the possibility that he reads this board and swiped it from you, though. But if you ARE the one who started him out on it...well, you need a smackin' too.

Nah, I don't take credit. I just said it in a post, and Wicket quoted it in her sig.

She sounds like a stuck up little princess bitchface to me who smugly tried to show the foreigner, got shown up herself and then went and had a whinge about the big bad foreigner because she lost and was made to look like the smug little bitch that she is.
    Why do you hate women so much?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

What's not to hate about them?

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I'm going to chime in here.
    Of course what the kid said was ignorant.
    But it's our job to inform and educate, not to berate because someone doesn't have all the information they need to have a balanced view on something.
    If a kid conjugated a verb incorrectly on a blackboard you wouldn't yell at them over it; you'd kindly (and probably privately) explain why what they had written was wrong.
    I have to say, if it was a kid in my homeroom and another teacher balled them out for that, I wouldn't be happy.
    She's a kid. She's allowed to make mistakes. It doesn't make her a bad person.
    Reminds me of some Year 10s boys I once taught who were incredibly homophobic. Every insult they ever used included "that's gay/ he's gay/ this is so gay" etc. I asked them one day why they used the insult (inside I was fuming) and they said it was because gay men are "disgusting". I asked them for their views on lesbians. They're okay, replied the boys, because "you get two for the price of one". First I explained that by definition they wouldn't be getting anything at all from a lesbian. Then I named 4 top-ranking AFL stars who are openly gay and asked if they were "disgusting".
    The discussion took a while but I kept my cool and if they walked away not entirely convinced, at least they were thinking about it.
    Screaming at someone is no way to open their mind. You need logic.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Its going to depend how she said it a lot isn't it? That would be a pretty good indication if she was being a shithead or not and noone here was in the room with her except Edrick.

But anyway if you've read the thread there is more than this one issue. I've said things to students that I shouldn't have said too. I smoothed it over. I'm sure Edrick did in this case too. His supervisor sounds like a total bitch to me and one incident or one mistake (not that I think he was wrong) should never be grounds for being treated like that.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    She sounds like a stuck up little princess bitchface to me who smugly tried to show the foreigner, got shown up herself and then went and had a whinge about the big bad foreigner because she lost and was made to look like the smug little bitch that she is.
    Why do you hate women so much?
    Well, you see ini, I'm only one man, and only capable of so much love. Such a large proportion of it is directed towards you that you know ... I just don't have anymore to share.

Most of my friends are women actually. Sometimes we sit around the tatami room on beanbags, with a bottle of 'South Eastern Australian' wine from inakamart and swap fantasies about fucking you all night long.

Who would have thought that this thread would lead to talk of an Ini sandwich?

Its going to depend how she said it a lot isn't it? That would be a pretty good indication if she was being a shithead or not and noone here was in the room with her except Edrick.
    I agree with wicket. Even if she was being a sh*thead, there is no reason to berate her like that. Erdrick is a grown up and so he should not have acted at the same level of a kid (i.e. he should have kept his cool).

You might have been able to smooth things over because:

a. You probably have a good relationship with your teachers in the first place. Like I have said before, it sounds like erdrick and his teachers' relationship has been deteriorating for some time. We don't know his attitude in school, do we?

b. How did you smooth things over? Did you have a good chat with the teachers? Did you explain yourself? We also have no idea how erdrick tried to explain. We only know that he told the teacher that racism cannot be tolerated but how did he do that? Did he yell? or did he said in a calm voice?

I actually DO know Edrick and though I've never taught with him I know what he's like as a person.

Admittedly he's a good mate but I really really cannot see him being as bad as some of you are saying he is in this thread.

There's other people who know him on ITIL too who I reckon would agree with me.