Thread: finished with the textbook, please help

Default finished with the textbook, please help

i'm in junior high and the students have finished the textbook. the teachers keep asking me to prepare fun one-class activities that will keep them busy

specifically, the 3 nenseis. i did the "who are they" and the 7 puzzle worksheets in the downloads section which they really liked

more of the same would be nice but also i'm looking for more listening work-- just something that would be fun to get them relaxed instead of stressing about tests/test results.

anyone have any good ideas or want to share what has worked for you?

Music lesson!!

Review grammar tough grammar points. A lot of them have probably forgotten some stuff from their first and second years.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keekers
    Review grammar tough grammar points. A lot of them have probably forgotten some stuff from their first and second years.
    she said FUN lessons.....
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

My kids LOVE gesture games like charades an indecent amount. Thus they can be used to do grammar points without the kids complaining. Generally anything where they get to run around and or make a shitload of noise goes down well if you don't have to cover the textbook. Or do slang/idioms. I guarantee you having your kids come up to you shouting "That's awesome!" is worth the effort.

Also, music lesson seconded.
    "Pay no attention to the super delegates behind the curtain." - CBS News

Start them on high school English work.

Theyre going to have to learn at some point that the whole world isn't fun.

Might as well start them now.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Fuck that, muuuuuuuuuuuuuusic lesson!

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

yeah, like FK said, a cloze exercise with some songs always goes down a treat.
    jeopardy is fun.
    a map of your country on the board with each team having a coloured magnet to race from city to city based on clues or by giving answers.
    a TV show in English.
    short plays/radio scripts
    theatresports (improv drama games)
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

You'd have to have a really really slow song mixed with really really keen students for a music cloze to work. One of the JTE tries that all the time. It never works.

Charades and anything like that I tend to find not too good either. The kids are often too nervous. If you have a reasonably genki class and you have some occupations flashcards sitting around from a bored ALT of years gone by that has worked sort of for me.

The kids got off on acting out fireman and that kind of stuff. A bit. Most of them were too shy. And I really don't work in a shy school.

Put Bambi on and sit at the back of the room with some marking.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

i get the idea of "review", just wanted to know some specific games/activities you guys found helpful

i like the music idea and i'm trying it tomorrow.. i've got "wake me up when september ends" by green day which is slow and repetitive.. hopefully it works out.

anyone try madlibs or one of those write-a-sentence-pass-it-on stories with any success??

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Sorry, should have explained better about the music thing. With low-level classes I actually teach the vocab. that's missing first and it's always thematic. For example, one time we did adverbs of frequency (always, often, sometimes, rarely and never). I put a line on the board from 0% to 100% and the kids "helped" me place the Japanese versions of the words along the line. Then I said the English word while pointing at the Japanese one while they repeated. Then I gave out cards with the English words, took down the Japanese ones and the kids made their own lines (find a group of six with different cards and arrange yourselves in order).
    Then I gave them the lyric sheet with only those adverbs blanked out. There were snatches of 12 different songs I found by doing searches for things like "song containing always" in good old google.
    Agree with Dombay - cloze without teaching the vocab. first only works on high level kids.
    The other thing to do is make it minimal pairs - type out the lyrics with some underlined and give an alternative that sounds similar to Japanese ears (e.g. 'sip/ship'). Kids listen to the song and circle the word they think they hear.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I was asked to do one-off 'fun' lessons as well. This is one that has worked really well for me. It sounds pretty boring, but almost all the kids enjoyed it, even the kids who usually don't do ANY work. I have done it with 5 different classes, and it was a success each time.
    I typed out about 50 questions on small namecard-sized colored paper. I used the grammar from the textbook, as well as various fill-in-the-blanks, write out the days of the week, please write the alphabet in upper and lower case, scrambled sentences, Japanese-English and English-Japanese translations, etc. You get the idea. I gave each student one of the question cards, and a blank sheet of B4 sized paper. the remaining cards I fanned out on an empty desk near the front of the room. When a student finished answering a question, they would bring the sheet as well as the question card to the front of the room. Me or the JTE would mark it, and then the student would get a new question. that's basically it. We told them they could take a 3 or 4-minute break after answering ten questions. Many of the students didn't even bother taking the break and kept on answering the questions. On paper this activity doesn't sound that interesting, but my students really liked it.