Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Minority" Applicants

Default "Minority" Applicants

i'm Latino. I got to my interview really early, so I got to meet a lot of other applicants... all of which were "white". I'm just curious how many of us American applicants are minorities (by definition of the US census). What's your background?

I don't think ethnic background is too important in JET (that is unless the interviewers are racist or something) because no matter how much you know about japan, or how Japanese you feel you are, you cannot help being a minority here.

Personally, I think it helps having a different background because then you have more things to talk about, and have more knowledge of different customs/values and how you can fit into them.

Also, for some odd reason, the girls love it when I speak Spanish much more than English...

Default "Minority" Applicants

I'm Asian. Nisei Japanese and 35. I've heard it's difficult getting TEFL jobs in Japan as a Nikkei. Can't help but keep my fingers crossed for good news in April... Most people at my interview were white as well, despite our location (heavily Latino).

It can also just be a case of local demographics. For example, I interviewed in Toronto last year, and the majority (a good 70% I'd say) of people who were placed were Asian; Chinese, I believe. And a case can be made that Chinese is a minority in North America (Though I don't know about Toronto...)

I am of "mixed" heritage... but the only people who can tell are usually those of other minorities.

Im white.

In japan im a minority.

Anyone who is not of asian descent will be a minority when they get to japan.

Put your flag down pedro.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

I'm a male. As there are more females than males living on this planet I consider myself part of the minority.

I like to bugger small children, I consider myself a minority.

Unless I'm at a JET conference

Really?
    Thats not the impression i got from JHS teachers here.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Default Re: "Minority" Applicants

Quote Originally Posted by dog8food
    i'm Latino. I got to my interview really early, so I got to meet a lot of other applicants... all of which were "white". I'm just curious how many of us American applicants are minorities (by definition of the US census). What's your background?
    I'm adopted Korean. Like EddieHitler, I also like to bugger small children, primarily boys from the ages of 6-10.

At my interview, all the Japanese people working at the consulate talked to me in Japanese when I was walking around, going into the bathroom, etc, despite my pointedly Korean features and massive height of 5'4. =P If I get in, it's going to be interesting...

I'm a minority. I just don't give a shit and neither does anyone else.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Default Re: "Minority" Applicants

Quote Originally Posted by meelynnmurder
    Quote Originally Posted by dog8food
    I'm adopted Korean. Like EddieHitler, I also like to bugger small children, primarily boys from the ages of 6-10.

At my interview, all the Japanese people working at the consulate talked to me in Japanese when I was walking around, going into the bathroom, etc, despite my pointedly Korean features and massive height of 5'4. =P If I get in, it's going to be interesting...

Yeah one my closest friends from studying abroad was adpoted korean as well... she had some interesting times if you can imagine. Unfortunately I think it just started to get really annoying that everyone assumed she spoke Japanese, or became horrified and confused when they found out she was AMERICAN ADOPTED KOREAN!!! :gasp:

Don't sweat it. I'm non-white, and I got in just fine.

Don't worry about the race thing...

On average though, there are more white people in JET than minorities... but then, that's why we're called minorities... there aren't as many of us.

Since when has hispanic been a race? Its just white with a suntan.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    Since when has hispanic been a race? Its just white with a suntan.
    By your logic white people are descended from black people therefore white people are bleached versions of black people.
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Cpt Blackadder on what to do if you trod on a mine.

How do you figure that? I'll think you'll find adam and eve were white. Black people are just white people who have been out in the sun too much. I'm sure if your family had been picking cotton 12 hours a day for 10 generations you'd be a bit blacker.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

How do you figure that? I'll think you'll find adam and eve were white. Black people are just white people who have been out in the sun too much. I'm sure if your family had been picking cotton 12 hours a day for 10 generations you'd be a bit blacker.
    No no put the bible down! Bad Eddie! Bad!

I know you're just taking the piss but here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...migrations.jpg
    "Well, normal procedure Lieutenant is to jump 200 feet into the air and scatter yourself over a wide area"

Ahh what would you know? You chinks are just whites with inferior liver and kidneys. How else do you explain your stunted growth and inability to handle your ale?

Ahh what would you know? You chinks are just whites with inferior liver and kidneys. How else do you explain your stunted growth and inability to handle your ale?
    Actually shorter people tend to live longer.

And I don't drink alcohol unless it's a special occasion, so I don't see it as a disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by FSEffect
    And I don't drink alcohol unless it's a special occasion
    Its going to be a long year in the inaka for you then, unless you start considering Tuesday afternoons "special occasions".