Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last class lessons

VIP

Default Last class lessons

Hey y'all, I was just told, 'Mmmn, Keito, you have nothing to do today, plan for EI and EII last lessons.' When I asked my JTE if she had any ideas she just nodded and wandered away. After I repressed my urge to ssssssssslap her, I figured I'd ask for any input on here.

So I have two final lessons with my EI and EII kids here. My rough plan was games. Yes games. That's all. Is there any reason why games can't work? What have you guys been doing for your last lessons?
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Whats a EI and a EII?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

VIP

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    Whats a EI and a EII?
    Sorry, English I and English II, basically general english class for first and second years - the compulsory one they have to take.
    Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

just knock up some shitty quiz then go out back for a fag.

Or steal Jacquis jeopardy questions.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

yah, jeopardy.

Same issue, last classes, nothing to teach. wtf is jeopardy?
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Yea, does anyone have any non Jeopardy ideas? I've already done the game with each class at least 3-4 times by now, and I like to go out with a bigger bang, especially for the 1nenseis and 2nenseis, who are gonna be subjected to shit ton more jeopardy next year.

I tried one game with a few classes that went over so-so. Made up a grab bag of about 100 questions, put the kids in groups of 4, had each group pick a question slip from the bag, they answered it, JTE or I checked the answer, they picked a new one, rinse, repeat. Team with the most questions answered at the end won. It went over well with my one high academic class...but I discovered a secret that my JTEs have done a good job of hiding from me. A good 80% of my kids simply cannot read. Some of these were REALLY easy questions, ones that I ask every day during the warm up, like "How's the weather?" or "What's your favorite sport?", questions they have no problem answering when I ask them orally. But the vast majority just could not read the papers...It was one of the first times I did an activity that required them to read on their own with no help, so I just didn't realize how bad a problem it is. Gonna have to work damn hard on that next semester...

But, yea, anyway, what are some fun games that get the whole class participating? What I love about jeopardy is that anyone can answer the question, so everyone is paying attention, not off doing their own shit like they do when I do games/activities where teams are asked individual questions.

No more jeopardy though...I'm bored with it, they're bored with it, the JTEs don't appreciate it (not that they appreciate anything, bitches...).

Quote Originally Posted by tedcase
    Same issue, last classes, nothing to teach. wtf is jeopardy?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    Yea, does anyone have any non Jeopardy ideas? I've already done the game with each class at least 3-4 times by now, and I like to go out with a bigger bang, especially for the 1nenseis and 2nenseis, who are gonna be subjected to shit ton more jeopardy next year.
    You shot your wad too early man! pacing! pacing! pacing!
    How big of a class?

Most of my classes are in the 25 range, so games with 6 groups of 4 work really well.

And as per shooting the jeopardy wad...well, it's my go to when a teacher comes to mean an hour before their class and asks me to do the whole thing myself, something that's been happening alot recently.

One game I've been wanting to try with my classes, but haven't gotten the chance, is Alibi from Team Taught Pizza. Essentially, you tell the class that some crime has been commited ("Someone has murdered Hello Kitty", "someone burned down the school", "someone has failed to give me 5 man", etc) and divide the class into groups of five or six. Each group has one kid stand up, and those kids are the suspects for the crime. But they have alibis, since they were all off doing something together at the time, like visiting disney land or shopping. Those kids go out into the hall and work out the story of what they were doing. The groups make lists of questions to ask the suspects to try to get them to contradict each other. After a few minutes, bring the suspects back in and send one of them to each group to be interrogated. Switch the suspects around a few times, then finally bring them to the front and ask if they're innocent.

well, you could do hangman with 6 teams.

or karuta maybe? If you're lazy and don't want to make up the cards, you can write the words on the board and have kids hit em with fly swatters (be careful though, if your class is out of control they will hit each other with the fly swatters as well).

pictionary?

gossip/chinese whispers?

a "who am I?" activity, where kids get an identity that everyone else can see but they cant, and they have to ask each other for hints to figure it out.

bingo?

battleship (kind of hard to explain for some odd reason)?

or you could do a quick directions class. the activity can be a treasure hunt, or getting kids in pairs/groups, blindfold one of them, and have the others help him through an obstacle course or something. (this might not work too well with that many kids)

if you're really desperate, you could always do fruit basket.

I dunno, it shouldn't be too hard to fill a class period with something other than jeopardy. If none of those work, just ask another ALT who teaches at elementary.

I've been playing games or watching movies with my classes for the last two classes. Some of my classes are bad to the point where games won't work, so I play a movie for them instead. My worst asshole kids sat rapt for "Ratatouille."

A similar thread: http://www.ithinkimlost.com/modules....974&highlight=

Ini made a rather worth while suggestion there.

As I was getting ready to go home last night, my JTE said, "Oh, by the way, why don't you come in for tomorrow's classes after all, and we'll play games!" So we played Scattergories out of Team Taught Pizza (except scoring was one point for each correct answer and two points for a unique correct answer) and the kids loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingChestnut
    As I was getting ready to go home last night, my JTE said, "Oh, by the way, why don't you come in for tomorrow's classes after all, and we'll play games!" So we played Scattergories out of Team Taught Pizza (except scoring was one point for each correct answer and two points for a unique correct answer) and the kids loved it.
    Do you make them follow the "has to start with specific letter" rule? Do you let them use textbooks/dictionaries? What kind of time limit seemed the most reasonable? And are you HS or JHS?

A JTE told me today that we should play the "categories game" today. I got really excited and thought she wanted to give scattergories a chance, since she shot it down before.

But no...she was talking about...god...damn...jeopardy. Grr... Next time she suggests "category game" i'm gonna agree and bust out scattergories instead come class time.

It was for 2nd year HS. I gave them categories like "sports that we can only play in winter", "foods that are white", "things that you have in your school bag", etc. We gave them one minute to brainstorm in their teams, and then one minute for the designated writers to write their team's answers on the board. (Otherwise, they wouldn't stop brainstorming and would take forever to pick the writer.) And yeah, we let them use dictionaries, and since it was the last class, I gave them half points if it was spelled wrong. It was definitely a lot easier to prepare for than Jeopardy!

[edit] And of course, stickers for the winners! I had no idea My Little Pony was so popular among high school boys.... o_O

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingChestnut
    It was for 2nd year HS. I gave them categories like "sports that we can only play in winter", "foods that are white", "things that you have in your school bag", etc. We gave them one minute to brainstorm in their teams, and then one minute for the designated writers to write their team's answers on the board. (Otherwise, they wouldn't stop brainstorming and would take forever to pick the writer.) And yeah, we let them use dictionaries, and since it was the last class, I gave them half points if it was spelled wrong. It was definitely a lot easier to prepare for than Jeopardy!

[edit] And of course, stickers for the winners! I had no idea My Little Pony was so popular among high school boys.... o_O
    OK, very cool. I can dumb that down enough for the new JHS sannenseis for it to go over well, longer time limit, broader categories and no penalty for misspelling. I think I won't give points for repeated answers, though. If I do, every team will give the same exact answers, if I don't, they'll actually use the dictionary and learn how to use them to look up unusual words. And anything that encourages creativity....

And god do i fucking hate stickers. Some kids go apeshit over them, 1nenseis will mob me for them, but they are so stupid. They are rarely culturally unique, they are ridiculously expensive, and they are just so damn generic a prize to give. But they are the only thing my JTEs will let me give out as prizes. I brought over a bunch of rolls of pennies and nickels to give out as prizes, also a lot of small baht coins from my thai trip, but no JTE will let me give them away (even when I ran out of good stickers and only had a sheet of "jesus is great!" stickers some ALT 5 generations ago left in my desk, stickers I told them I felt massively uncomfortable giving out, they still wouldn't let me use coins), the reason being "they are just kids." As if a 13 year old wouldn't be interested in foreign money. If they were kindergarten kids I could understand a health risk or something, but I think teenagers can be trusted with a coin.

I also did a sort of scattegories with my very low level HS first years. Pretty much the same as Flying Chestnut but I only gave a point for a unique answer and nothing if they got the same as everyone else so they tried really hard to come up with a unique answer and didn't bother about spelling.

Just watch when they come to write it on the board that they all write at the same time and don't watch to see what the others write before they write down their answer.

I also used it a bit to do revision so used a couple of questions about me and my country (e.g. something that I like, an animal in my country) and some other things related the lessons that they had done. 'Something blue' was quite a good category. One team came up with earth which confused me totally until I realised they meant the planet from space and not soil!

When I play scattegories, I give each team 5 pieces of paper and have 5 categories to ask about. They write their answers on the paper each time. Then I say "hold up your paper" - quickly pop round the class checking all their answers (and that I understand what they mean - I let them use dictionaries so there can be some pretty bizzare words) then go through each one.

This avoids the whole copying each other thing, because they are on their own table. When we go through the answers, sometimes the students try to change theirs when someone else has it, but I've already been round so I can disqualify them :twisted: