Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone apply with GEOS as well?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Default Anyone apply with GEOS as well?

I applied with them Friday and I received an email tonight saying they need me to call them so they can gather some more information in a "5-10 minute phone call" before submitting my application for final review...I'm curious as to what they would need or if this is something they say to everyone; I filled out all required things on the application.

Thanks.

shouldn't this be in the applying forum?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by cb
    shouldn't this be in the applying forum?
    No, because it's not about applying for JET.

touche

They will take anyone, like all of the MacEnglish schools.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Doesn't do O-ramas

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    They will take anyone, like all of the MacEnglish schools.
    I like those odds, along with an urban placement. Nova wanted to interview me back in the fall, LOL

If you enjoy working like a dog all weekend, being too tired to do anything on your tuesday off except sleep, being a textbook salesman, having to try and teach old ladies who wont put any work in and expect to learn english just by being in the same room as you and being below even interac workers in the english teacher food chain then take the job. Have fun
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Doesn't do O-ramas

If you enjoy working like a dog all weekend, being too tired to do anything on your tuesday off except sleep, being a textbook salesman, having to try and teach old ladies who wont put any work in and expect to learn english just by being in the same room as you and being below even interac workers in the english teacher food chain then take the job. Have fun
    Hence applying to JET. Just covering bases.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

geos aint that bad, i think its either the best or one of the better eikaiwas out there, two days off in a row is the norm and usually you can finagle it to be sunday monday or friday saturday so you get at least one normal weekend off to hang out with friends. i know many people that have worked for geos, actually my neighbor ( a JET) started with geos and then got his current job. if you do like the sales part of the job they have lots of room to move up in the company and when you move up you get better pay and hours and time off.....to each his own i say
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Never heard anything about GEOS, but every time I hear another horror story about an eikaiwa, I get this fuzzy feeling inside. Schadenfreude? Probably.
    "The complex Japanese language and its writing system are inventions of the devil, designed to prevent the spread of Gospel."
    -Francis Xavier (1506-1552)

I don't know anything about GEOS, but I've worked at Aeon, and although there are crappy things about it, like Ini said, there are lots of great things about it, the most important being THE STUDENTS ACTUALLY WANT TO LEARN. At that time, AEON was considered the best of the big 3 eikaiwas--Nova, AEON, and GEOS. Also strangely, the AEON president said at a conference back then "In five years, one of the big 3 language schools will go bankrupt due to English schools flooding the market so we have to really work hard blah blah blah" Turns out he was right!!

Bad things about AEON:
    Hours suck--Roughly noon to 9 pm
    You work Tues through Sat
    You have to sell textbooks a couple times a year
    Pay sucks--when I was there it was about $25000/yr
    Very little free time per day, but still enough to plan lessons and stuff.

Good things:
    The teachers there are way more used to having foreigners on staff...and they know how we think.
    The students actually want to learn and are excited about English.
    You are the only teacher in the room (could be good or bad, for me it was good)
    More rewarding as a job than JET (for me, anyway)
    They actually TRAIN you, as opposed to JET (granted, it's only a week)
    SMALL class sizes--12 or less (usually 4 to 8 )
    No discipline problems whatsoever.

Still, I prefer JET because of the pay and all the good stuff. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Doesn't do O-ramas

I applied with AEON Friday as well. I like the idea of knowing my placement prior to signing a contract.

Though, JET is still #1

Honestly, if the pay were better, I'm sure I'd prefer eikaiwa work to ALT work. noon to 9? Those are my dream hours. Screw getting up at 7 everyday, it's almost impossible for me to fall asleep before 2 or 3 without drugs. It would suck to have to pimp out textbooks, but I wouldn't mind having a more set curriculum. And I hate, hate, hate the downtime as an ALT. I suck at looking busy and with no internet at work I end up just doodling or staring into space. The smaller classes would be great, along with teaching people that at least theoretically want to learn english enough to pay for classes, rather than being forced to by schools. And I frankly just hate having another teacher around when I'm trying to do my teaching thing. They are always talking over me, undermine my authority with the kids, feel free to change the lesson plan on the fly and expect me to just psychically pick up their new direction, and do things like tell the kids that the activity I'm about to do with them is really too difficult for them, implying that they don't have to put any effort forth at all it will all be fine.

I couldn't deal with nonconsecutive days off, but working on saturday and sunday wouldn't be that big a deal. I could always go skiing on a monday, and the slopes are less crowded anyway, or go shopping and not have to deal with the weekend crowds, or go sight seeing and not have to deal with the weekend crowds. I already normally do my own thing during the weekend days and only really hang out with people during the night, so it wouldn't be a big deal that I couldn't hang out during the day with ALTs. And, c'mon, this is Japan. It's not like you can't find someone to go out drinking with on a tuesday. I don't think most JETs are staying sober monday through friday...

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    Honestly, if the pay were better, I'm sure I'd prefer eikaiwa work to ALT work. noon to 9? Those are my dream hours. Screw getting up at 7 everyday, it's almost impossible for me to fall asleep before 2 or 3 without drugs. It would suck to have to pimp out textbooks, but I wouldn't mind having a more set curriculum. And I hate, hate, hate the downtime as an ALT. I suck at looking busy and with no internet at work I end up just doodling or staring into space. The smaller classes would be great, along with teaching people that at least theoretically want to learn english enough to pay for classes, rather than being forced to by schools. And I frankly just hate having another teacher around when I'm trying to do my teaching thing. They are always talking over me, undermine my authority with the kids, feel free to change the lesson plan on the fly and expect me to just psychically pick up their new direction, and do things like tell the kids that the activity I'm about to do with them is really too difficult for them, implying that they don't have to put any effort forth at all it will all be fine.

I couldn't deal with nonconsecutive days off, but working on saturday and sunday wouldn't be that big a deal. I could always go skiing on a monday, and the slopes are less crowded anyway, or go shopping and not have to deal with the weekend crowds, or go sight seeing and not have to deal with the weekend crowds. I already normally do my own thing during the weekend days and only really hang out with people during the night, so it wouldn't be a big deal that I couldn't hang out during the day with ALTs. And, c'mon, this is Japan. It's not like you can't find someone to go out drinking with on a tuesday. I don't think most JETs are staying sober monday through friday...
    i honestly agree with just about everything you've said. a part of me wants to move to tokyo and give one of the eikaiwa's a try. it can't possibly be worse than my JET placement. and if it truly sucks than i'd just fly home and be done with japan.

Doesn't do O-ramas

I just received an email from AEON for an interview.

Unfortunately I don't know that I'll be able to attend because the interview is over a Thursday/Friday but I have a polymer lab on Thursdays that I don't think I can miss so I don't know...

Fascinating. Would you like to tell us what you had for breakfast as well?

Doesn't do O-ramas

Fascinating. Would you like to tell us what you had for breakfast as well?
    I went to the local Vietnamese place for sweet and sour chicken with fried rice as well as two Cokes after sleeping through Process Dynamics and Control and calling in sick to work even though I'm not sick. I paid $6.75 for everything, and left $10 even because the service was delightful.

I had inarizushi.

Day before pay day
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

inarizushi for breakfast? 8O

when would you suggest he eats it?