Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Punishments" for losing a game

Default "Punishments" for losing a game

I'm making a series of English punishments for students to do when they lose a game. I'm writing these on slips of paper that they then can draw out of a hat to see what they have to do. So far I have:

-Sing a song
    -Tell us about your weekend
    -Say a tongue twister (like "black bugs blood" or "Willy's really weary")
    -Pick someone else and have them draw a punishment instead

Any other suggestions for interesting things to make the kids do? Other topics to make them talk about?

I hear forcing them to write their answer on the board and then crossing it out and berating them for 5 minutes is popular in new jersey.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If your willy is weary im sure you have punished them enough.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Personally I do not punish, only reward. But if I did choose to do what you are doing, maybe rather punish them as a group. Making one kid sing a song or tongue twist is asking for tears. I don't think talking in English should be seen as a punishment
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

I gotta agree...catch more bees with honey or whatever. If you want to see them do something humiliating, give them a big reward. One of my JTEs, whenever we do jeopardy (seriously, does ANYONE have anything else, i'm so over this game.) he'll give like 1000 points to the team that will do the most humiliating thing he can think.

Actually kinda pisses me off, since his order rarely require, like, any english, so the jack ass popular kid's group always wins instead of the smart but kinda shy kid's group.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

Come on guys, lighten up. They're not really punishments!
    I play a board game where, if the kids land on an animal pawprint, they have to do a "challenge".
    Some of them are things like:
    Shake hands with the ALT.
    Run to the blackboard.
    Count to 100 as fast as you can.
    Charade - e.g. movie name, song name they act out for others to guess.
    Carry ALTs books, bag, whatever.
    Open the window/door.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

But that's not really a punishment...I do something similar with jeopardy (god i hate that game so much)...I always have an ETC category that's filled with slightly embarrassing things to do, like sing the ABCs, be the first to follow a chain of crazy commands (stand up, sit down, stand up, come here, go to your desk, come back, give me your pencil) or imitate who ever is popular with them at the moment. But the kids who do respond to those questions are the ones that are going to want to do it. I just have visions of a shy, slow-learner team breaking out in tears when they are singled out to do something embarrassing. And god does it ever ruin my day when I inadvertently make a student cry (which happens way too often...the JTEs have crushed these kids spirits, failure isn't an option with them. I just want the kids to try, so even if they don't know the answer to a question I'll encourage them to at least say something or guess. But a lot of the younger students seem to interpret not knowing a perfect answer the equivalent of shaming 10 generations of their family and just break down, which makes me then feel like shit, a the whole mood of the class plummets).

So, yea, I'm all for making kids do embarrassing things, but don't single out anyone, especially kids that probably already feel bad enough that they struggle with english.

Also, a bit off topic, but how do most of you run a board game in class? I can't break the kids down into small groups to play the same game at the same time, because they will totally slack off and use almost no English, because they know that we can't watch all of them all the time to ensure they actually follow the instructions on the card, or if they have to answer questions, I can't confirm 6 different groups answers without really slowing down the pace of the game. But if I try to only one game with the whole class split into teams, it breaks down into chaos, because the kids have no incentive to pay attention when it isn't their team's turn, so they'll break off into conversations or go to sleep or do all the crap junior high kids do.

If board games work for you though, I'd love to know how. I'm gonna kill myself if I have to jeopardy again.

Board games at my visit school work because there are only 5 -8 kids in the class
    At my base school I split them in two groups. I sat with the one group and the JTE with the other. In the end SHE encouraged them to only speak Japanese. I dislike that woman so much. PLEASE transfer her
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    I always have an ETC category
    Seems a rather bizarre and narrow topic for a high school english quiz? Get lots of truckers and reps in your class?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    Quote Originally Posted by MostHolyPorcine
    I always have an ETC category
    Seems a rather bizarre and narrow topic for a high school english quiz? Get lots of truckers and reps in your class?
    I have no idea what you mean. The topic refers to the dealings of Electronic Theatre Controls, inc. The questions are many and varied, largely dealing with lighting solutions for theater, film & television studios and architectural spaces.

And I'm JHS. Get your facts straight, dammit.

pah, tourist. go home you sexless freak

Quote Originally Posted by EddieHitler
    pah, tourist. go home you sexless freak
    I think you need to leave your office or apartment everyonce in a while to be considered a tourist.

VIP

I actually thought frankdux's jenga idea was really cute, if you can get your hands on jenga. Kid loses, they have to pull out a block from the tower.

First kid to knock down the tower gets BEATEN WITHIN AN INCH OF HIS/HER LIFE.

Fight like a grapefruit, aim for the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by KateW
    I actually thought frankdux's jenga idea was really cute, if you can get your hands on jenga. Kid loses, they have to pull out a block from the tower.

First kid to knock down the tower gets BEATEN WITHIN AN INCH OF HIS/HER LIFE.

The Master at our go-to-bar in town always makes us play jenga...Loser has to do a shot of that 180 proof polish shit, which ain't much better than being beaten.

You can find jenga here...it's just called Wooden Block Tower Game and is in a soviet style plain brown box with no real indication of what it is. Real wonder it's not more popular...

The only Jenga I've seen for sale was dirty Jenga at a Bulldog store. lol

As far as board games, it does seem too difficult for large classes. I have 40-43 kids in each of my classes, but a couple games they really loved (and held ALL their attention) were Castles (because they could steal a question if the team I asked got it wrong, so they had to listen to all the questions) and Scrabble. I made a giant grid in the center of the floor with tape and used thick index cards for giant letter tiles. They would all get really excited the second the opened the door to the room and realized something crazy was going on because the desks were all pushed against the walls. Even my 'bad boys' were into it. I teach at an academic high school though, but I don't think it's a difficult game for low level schools.

Taping the grid took me like two hours though.

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I stole Hoshi's idea, but projected the Scrabble grid onto a screen and made magnetic letters from magnetic whiteboards I bought at the 100 yen shop. Worked a treat.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

I played karuta and bingo for the thousandth time, worked a treat.

I don't know how, but I accidentally hit the report button while reading this thread.
    Ignore that please.

Racist!!!!!!!!!!!! He had cancer for gods sake!!! Show some respect you fucking piece of shit, I hope your mother dies of leukaemia in penance for your crimes