Thread: ~の versus ~こと

Default ~の versus ~こと

Alright folks, here's one for you (not because it's a pressing issue, but because I'm bored and have never quite known the answer to this).

Can anyone explain to me when it is appropriate to use の and when it is appropriate to use こと? There are some area's where it's fairly cut and dried, but occasionally the odd situation pops up where I have no idea which is correct.

Could you give an example of time when it's confusing? I kinda know what you are getting at, but I'm not sure how to explain the difference without more context.

In my experience, generally you can use the two interchangebly anytime for nominalizing a verb, except for maybe a few cases where こと is explicitly used. Let's see if I can list some off the top of my head:

1. 今日は車を買うことにした - Today I decided to buy a car. (~ことにする)
    2. 米ドルが急に下がったことについて話しましょう - Let's talk about the American dollar quickly taking a dive. (~ことについて)
    3. ホント?マイクが死んだってこと?- Really?? You mean Mike died?! (~ということ)

Those are really the only ones that I can think off the top of my head. Most of the time the context determines which one is used more naturally. Maybe it helps to think of (~こと) as specifically saying "The thing that is ~" so it's putting a little more emphasis on the action or preceding sentence, and (~の) being simply a nominalized verb e.g., "Driving is fun" - 運転するのが楽しい。

Here's a page all about that written by real Japanese people which, lets face it, makes it more reliable than anything most of us can come up with it.
    Should answer a lot of your questions

http://www014.upp.so-net.ne.jp/nbunka/99july.htm