Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter lesson

Default Easter lesson

So my JTE is making me do a lesson on Easter on the last day...but she told me try not to do just like a lecture with pictures. So I was thinking of games but I wasn't quite sure what. I asked her and she said I should show an easter egg...and then she clarified that of course not a real one...but a picture. I was like...(o_o)

In any case, does anyone have any ideas for Easter that's fun but not related to painting eggs (or showing just a picture of one...)?

Easter egg hunt! I have no idea what level you are teaching, but you can make it as easy or as difficult as you like. I completely forgot it was Easter.
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Ahh sorry. I'm trying to teach JHS 1st year.

Hmmm...well you could do the usual crossword, wordsearch and the like. Another possibility is drawing a scene with easter things (bunny, eggs etc.) and getting one student to describe it to another who tries to draw it.

Or you could get the students to act out the final scene of Life Of Brian - possibly in bad taste :?

Stations of the cross! Stations of the cross!

Or, point out to her the clause in our contract that bans us from teaching politics or religion during class and just show an episode of the Simpsons or something.

I like the easter egg hunt best, if you have to do the lesson. Make them work in teams, have like 4 trails going, Give them a paper egg that says *the next egg is on Dropslessonsonmeatthelastminute-sensei's desk*, then the next one gives them directions to the gym, etc etc for like, what? 4 or 5 cards? Have some candy or stickers at the end.

remind her of the governments policy on separating religion and the state, then do a lesson on baseball instead.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Who said Easter needed to do anything with Jesus Christ. Christmas has been minus JC for years.
    Focus on eggs and bunnies. I have no idea about JHS, because I teach (every so often) SHS, but I am sure just talking about colours and bunnies would be cool enough. Maybe there is even a cute Easter story (minus religion) that you can tell the kiddies, or they can do a comprehension on.

You could also make a gameboard, and instead of collecting points, they collect Easter Eggs.
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Because its a christian festival. So talking about it would be agaisnt government guidelines.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It used to be a Pagan Fertility Festival before the Christians came along

and still religious. Why are you having such trouble grasping this?

I'm sorry, but you can't take the religion out of easter. It's the frigen center piece of Christianity, the death and resurrection of our lord and savior. Just cause we eat jelly beans doesn't mean it isn't still about the Son of God and King of the Jews ascending into Heaven. Without Easter, there IS no Christianity. Christmas is a minor holiday of no real theological importance that got blowen out of proportion by the capitalists.

And yea, it happens to fall on the same day as a pagan festival. So does every other major (and, hell, minor) Christian holiday in the European tradition. How do you think they converted all the pagans? It wasn't by taking away their holidays. But easter was hadly a pagan holiday before it was a Christian holiday. There was a pagan fertility festival called Oestre that fell around the same time of the year. There was also a holiday honoring dead spirits around the end of October, that turned into All Hallow's Eve.

Easter= Easter eggs and chocolate and bunnies.
    Xmas= presents and eating like a pig. Sorry mate, no Jesus in my holidays. I believe its the marketing done by shops that bring us Xmas and Easter, not JC

Just because your oblivious doesn't mean everyone else is too.

I am not oblivious, I am just saying that you don't have to include any religion in your lesson plans. I choose not to include JC because I am not a Christian

Are we really forbidden to teach anything relating to religion? Didn't know that, though I figured it was good to try to keep anything like that to a minimum.

When teaching holidays that have some religious significance, I try to make sure that religion isn't entirely erased from the picture. Not because I feel it is my mission to convert kids or anything, but because I feel they should understand what the holiday actually is. You can't teach about a religious holiday without at least mentioning religion a little. So when I teach Christmas or something, I talk about santa and raindeer and presents and all that jazz for most of the class, but I take aside about 3 sentences or so to say "Christmas comes from Christianity. It's a celebration of birth of Christ who is the most important guy in Christianity. That's why it's called Christmas" and all the kids either say "ooooh" or "what's Christianity" and then I just go back to santa.

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    It used to be a Pagan Fertility Festival before the Christians came along
    erm, no, not at all. The date on which Easter falls is determined by the date on which passover falls. Now, it might be near some pagan fertility festivals, which helped with converting pagans, but it never was one. It's near the vernal equinox; pretty much any sort of culture has a celebration of some sort around then.

Yeah - but if you don't include JC, then why bother teaching about Easter at all? I'm not really religious and so I basically ignore the Christian festivals - and certainly don't have a whole lesson dedicated to them. Might dump in the odd santa claus and easter bunny round those times but that's hardly the same.

I think it's misrepresenting your culture and giving Japanese people yet another skewed impression of our festivals if we don't explain why they exist.

Okay, I meant the Easter symbols: rabbit, egg comes from Pagan celebrations held around the same time as Easter because of spring http://altreligion.about.com/cs/alchemy/a/mpreviss.htm

If you choose to include Jesus then do it. I don't.

I have never been asked to teach Easter. I have been asked to teach Xmas and I have said that I do not want to include the Christian aspect because I am not Christian. The teacher says you mean no Santa? And all is well :P

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissey
    Yeah - but if you don't include JC, then why bother teaching about Easter at all? I'm not really religious and so I basically ignore the Christian festivals - and certainly don't have a whole lesson dedicated to them. Might dump in the odd santa claus and easter bunny round those times but that's hardly the same.

I think it's misrepresenting your culture and giving Japanese people yet another skewed impression of our festivals if we don't explain why they exist.
    Seriously. It seems like teaching them about Passover and having a sedar but failing to mention Moses or the Jews.

Christmas, Halloween, these have been successfully secularized. No one who isn't at least a slightly observant christian is going to celebrate Easter.

And yea, at least in my contract it states that I can't engage in political or religious activities at school, which a broad reading of would mean I couldn't teach a religious festival. (Though I'm sure the point of it is to stop people from trying to convert their kids....didn't stop one of my preds, though, since they left like 10 sheets of Jesus is AWESOME! stickers in my desk.)

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    The teacher says you mean no Santa? And all is well :P
    Well that's rather my point. By avoiding the Christian aspect of Christmas and teaching only about Santa you're actually re-enforcing an already apparent Japanese ignorance about the holiday. You're the ALT from another country, what you say is the be all and end all of foreign culture. That's surely the anti-cultural exchange.