Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Introductory Lessons [take 2]

Default Re: Introductory Lessons (take 2)

That is a great idea, that I will totally steal next term.

FiercestCalm

I think I finally figured out what to do... I'm giving a short self intro with big laminated pictures (like, 'I have a CAT. CAT.'), putting in gestures for every picture. Then, I'll tape up the pictures all around the room and put all the kids in the middle. When I describe one picture ('Find the CAT. *gesture* CAT.) they kids'll have to race to the correct picture. Repeat a bunch.

This is for my 1st and 2nd graders, still have no idea what to do with the 5th graders yet.

Burasuto from the pasuto. Wanderlust King's Avatar

Bahh. I really didn't want to do an introduction lesson for my Elementary School kids, but apparently I have to when I see them for the first time this week. I have 5th and 6th graders, but I have yet to be given an Eigo Nooto book yet so I have no idea where their English levels are.

Any ideas to make it fun and full of games? I think I'll do a true/false game about myself where the kids have to dash to one side of the room or the other. After that, I'm drawing a total blank.. Would they be into an introduction relay, or is that way too basic for 5th and 6th graders?

FiercestCalm

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust King View Post
    Bahh. I really didn't want to do an introduction lesson for my Elementary School kids, but apparently I have to when I see them for the first time this week. I have 5th and 6th graders, but I have yet to be given an Eigo Nooto book yet so I have no idea where their English levels are.

Any ideas to make it fun and full of games? I think I'll do a true/false game about myself where the kids have to dash to one side of the room or the other. After that, I'm drawing a total blank.. Would they be into an introduction relay, or is that way too basic for 5th and 6th graders?
    For my 5th graders I did pictionary after my introduction lesson. During the lesson I would emphasize 'vocab' words. Later I reviewed those words (mine were like city, mountain, beach, family, cat, etc). Then I had them split into teams and have one member per team up at the board. I'd whisper a vocab word to them, and they would have to draw it so that their team could guess the word.

Really, it was kind of easy for them, but they really enjoyed it.

Just for the future- don`t try doing a worksheet. It isn't worth it and it doesn't help you get to know the kids at all.

What did work well though was playing Reverse Criss-Cross (or Rows and Columns). I asked a variety of questions, mostly related to introductions ("What is your favorite movie?") and some that were just random ("Are you a girl?"). One of the boys even excitedly yelled "of course" to the "Are you a girl?" question.
    I firmly believe that goofy and awkward are the signs of awesome.

Burasuto from the pasuto. Wanderlust King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FiercestCalm View Post
    For my 5th graders I did pictionary after my introduction lesson. During the lesson I would emphasize 'vocab' words. Later I reviewed those words (mine were like city, mountain, beach, family, cat, etc). Then I had them split into teams and have one member per team up at the board. I'd whisper a vocab word to them, and they would have to draw it so that their team could guess the word.

Really, it was kind of easy for them, but they really enjoyed it.
    A little chaos doing it that way for me. After the first fail, I drew the pictures piece by piece and students had to yell out what it was in English. First person that yelled it out then had their turn to go up to the board, have me whisper them a word, and have the class try to guess.

It went a million times smoother.

I'm doing my first round of introduction lessons today, and I feel so screwed. Obviously I want to focus more on simple English words than me, but my initial attempt at doing that sped by way too fast. Also, I don't know what sort of interesting stuff to present about my hometown or hobbies. Pictures of Matsuzaka Daisuke, Obama, and snow have proven more interesting than my local library and church, but I discovered those pretty much at random. What makes the kids excited in your classes?
    Last edited by Shii; September 3rd, 2010 at 13:18.

Think about back when you were in junior high. Focus on famous stars/athletes/singers whatever. Sports and entertainment. Maybe some pictures of the nearest large city. Your house and family will go over well. Random pictures of buildings like the library are pretty lame though.