Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Couples Thread

tanuki

Default Couples Thread

any couples out there?
    Last edited by tanuki; March 16th, 2009 at 10:01.

i've heard mostly of married couples living in the same house. and i've heard of one case of a married couple being separated by a few towns - but nothing drastic.

There was two on the other side of the prefecture from each other here last year.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

There are couples where only one was accepted. But most come anyway.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

tanuki

thanks
    Last edited by tanuki; March 16th, 2009 at 10:02.

Well, my girlfriend at the time and I both got in and were placed together, so there's proof that you don't even need to be engaged or married. Turns out we're engaged now anyway, but that's besides the point.

There are PLENTY of people here whose significant others are waiting back at home because the other didn't get in, so that's a very significant possibility. And I also know of several JET couples who were separated by large distances.

My husband and I applied together...he's convinced that if one doesn't get JET that we should move forward with real life back here in the states since we are fairly unsettled. Any advice from folks in Japan, or ideas from current applicants about affordability of living on a single salary|the spouse PT work visa?

OPer: thanks for starting a dedicated thread... we've all posted across the board but being in one place might be a nice change...

tigerlili, while the JET salary is unusually good for the job, it's still entry-level and I think it would be tough for two people to live on it. It would be better, if one of you doesn't get in, to look for an eikaiwa job or non-JET ALT job in the area. You can search for jobs by area on www.gaijinpot.com. (that's how I got my current job when I didn't get into JET last year.)

Also, just to think about--if your life at home is fairly unsettled, doesn't that make now the BEST time to do something like this?

Default Another couple

We interviewed as a marital couple, hard to say how the interview went, as the other interviewees also seemed to think their interview went well. Just hoping that one of us gets in, as this is our first and last chance at the program. We also have an elementary school-aged child. Maybe I should post this in another thread, but are there any other families applying?

tanuki

Default Re: Another couple

Quote Originally Posted by mintedchip
    We interviewed as a marital couple, hard to say how the interview went, as the other interviewees also seemed to think their interview went well. Just hoping that one of us gets in, as this is our first and last chance at the program. We also have an elementary school-aged child. Maybe I should post this in another thread, but are there any other families applying?
    good luck to you!

some people who posted here have children.

also, i completely know what you mean about the interview...

everyone said the interview was going to be horrible and confrontational... but mine and my fiance's and mmost everyone i've talked to's was easy breezey relaxed....

im sstill trying to figure out if it was a good sign or bad sign that they were so easy on me.

My husband had an easy, straightforward interview... mine was ridiculous...especially when they asked me what we would do if we got separated... I explained that we were both comfortable with the fact that JET does not give preference and we both want JET. They were like dogs with a bone on that one...finally after about 5 minutes (yes they spent a quarter of my interview grilling me on being married...) I just shrugged and said, "Listen, I am not a person who gets wrapped around the handle about 'what ifs' and possibilities. We knew the process when we began the process, what will be will be and we will be just fine." That was still not good enough and they pressed me further. Finally I used my fingers to explain all the permutations of possibilities...I am still not sure what they were unhappy about. I have moved a minimum of 12 time in the last 10 years... uncertainty is my life...I would be exhausted if I spent time worrying about what might be, I do better with what is...

sorry for the minor rant...this has been bugging me since it happened...I wanted to punch the panel in the nose after this line of questions...

tanuki

hmm...
    Last edited by tanuki; March 16th, 2009 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by rikonatanuki
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlili
    My husband had an easy, straightforward interview... mine was ridiculous...especially when they asked me what we would do if we got separated... I explained that we were both comfortable with the fact that JET does not give preference and we both want JET. They were like dogs with a bone on that one...finally after about 5 minutes (yes they spent a quarter of my interview grilling me on being married...) I just shrugged and said, "Listen, I am not a person who gets wrapped around the handle about 'what ifs' and possibilities. We knew the process when we began the process, what will be will be and we will be just fine." That was still not good enough and they pressed me further. Finally I used my fingers to explain all the permutations of possibilities...I am still not sure what they were unhappy about. I have moved a minimum of 12 time in the last 10 years... uncertainty is my life...I would be exhausted if I spent time worrying about what might be, I do better with what is...

sorry for the minor rant...this has been bugging me since it happened...I wanted to punch the panel in the nose after this line of questions...
    wow... that is kind of intense... you didn't crack and tell that its both or none... which is what they were tryign to get from you... so it sounds like you passed their test.

in my interview, everything was very relaxed and they smiled at all my answers... but the one thing that was weird was they didn't ask any of the cultureshock questions, or cultural exchange questions... actually, they didn't ask me anything japan related... they mostly wanted me to reassure them that i didn't think this was a vacation and i knew that i wa sexpected to work hard...

its possible this is because i've been to japan twice already on study abroad.. i don't know... i can't stop replayign every detail of this process in my mind...
    finally someone else who had that question! The japanese guy didn't ask many questions except the one you just said about "if I understand the difference between studying and working in Japan." He was very serious about this... I hope he believed me.

I also got no questions about Japanese culture or anything, nor was I asked to do any demos. Very similar to your experience.. let's hope that's a good sign?

Quote Originally Posted by patjs
    I also got no questions about Japanese culture or anything, nor was I asked to do any demos. Very similar to your experience.. let's hope that's a good sign?
    Questions they asked:

How would you explain poverty to a country that doesn't have any?

How would you explain the difficult primary election system? Why did Mitt Romney just drop out of the Republic Presidential primaries?

Since I live in Utah (I'm from California), they assumed that I was a religious fanatic. Many of their questions were tailored towards my ability to deal with people that smoked, drank, and partied. Are you kidding me?

Culture shock is not an issue. I've lived in countries outside the US for years.

No demos for me, either. Just questions about what my wife and kid will do while we're in Japan, and what type of preparations we've made.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlili

Wow. And I thought I was annoyed by the amount of questions I got about things like homesickness. (No, I haven't been out of the country before, but I'll deal. I have Skype. I'm fine.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse
    Quote Originally Posted by patjs
    Questions they asked:

How would you explain poverty to a country that doesn't have any?

How would you explain the difficult primary election system? Why did Mitt Romney just drop out of the Republic Presidential primaries?

Since I live in Utah (I'm from California), they assumed that I was a religious fanatic. Many of their questions were tailored towards my ability to deal with people that smoked, drank, and partied. Are you kidding me?

Culture shock is not an issue. I've lived in countries outside the US for years.

No demos for me, either. Just questions about what my wife and kid will do while we're in Japan, and what type of preparations we've made.
    Really? I had to do a demo, but then I was trying to hit them with 'But I'll be certified as a teacher! Seriously!'. I was hoping for more teaching questions than I got, really.

Really? I had to do a demo, but then I was trying to hit them with 'But I'll be certified as a teacher! Seriously!'. I was hoping for more teaching questions than I got, really.
    I studied the history of education in Japan since the 1500s. I know all about attempts at "internationalization". I know names of dozens of famous Japanese people. I can name the islands and their climates.

A broad, sweeping question like "Tell me about Japanese pop arts" is the one that screws me up. You know you're struggling when you pull the "I played video games as a kid" card.

tanuki

where did you interview? it sounds like you had the exact same interview as me...
    Last edited by tanuki; March 16th, 2009 at 10:04.

Quote Originally Posted by rikonatanuki

where did you interview? it sounds like you had the exact same interview as me...
    Chicago, on the 20th.

Sounds like tigerlili's interview went well, despite the frustration. I bet you left a fine impression, as it is always better to stand up and take it. I walked out of a (GEOS?AEON?NOVA?CAN'TREMEMBER) interview years ago because I didn't realize the interviewer was testing me; I was annoyed with what I thought was silent treatment .

Or maybe she was just being a b----...

Anyway, so happy that soon we will all know... thanks for posting this thread, it's nice to see how many couples are out there.