Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alternate Thread

Default Official Alternate Thread

Figured I'd start this up now so any alternates can gather here and complain and wait together

I've got an interac interview coming up and probably will apply with AEON too. I personally will probably not wait around past July or so if I have other job offers.

Edit: I have to say I judged my interview pretty well though. I came out thinking it went OK, but not necessarily good or bad. Apparently they felt the same :?

Alternate here out of Atlanta. No fun.
    ----------------------------------------
    "This is an indiscriminate terrorist attack using gyoza."

Quote Originally Posted by jgarland
    Alternate here out of Atlanta. No fun.
    No fun at all. I know they say most get upgraded but it's an awkward position to be in.

Kind of mixed feelings here... guess I've got to put JET out of my mind for a few more weeks at the minimum... October at the maximum

I thought my interview went really well too.

I'm not too worried about it right now, surprisingly.

Oh well, Alternate in Tampa through Miami.

Yech. I was alternated as well, Detroit consulate.

It figures that I would get the one response I didn't want! I would have almost taken a flat-out rejection over this, as the wait and wondering has been totally brutal thus far.

So, looking at this email, do we have to turn in everything right now? Or just the alternate acceptance form, and then turn in the rest if we get upgraded? Or are we supposed to set the FBI Check and stuff in motion and get it taken care of so that if, in fact, we get upgraded it will all be ready? I can't figure out how much of this email was just copy-pasted from the acceptance one.

Ah well, back to some semblance of regular life at least.

::EDIT:: Figured I would throw out an apology to anyone who got rejected or didn't even make it to the interview stage. I'm glad I got alternated over the other alternatives, but it does open up another whole set of decisions to make, which I hoped would be over this week! But yeah, I do appreciate having made it this far. Sorry if I sounded like an ass!

Ugh. Alternate, yes. Maybe we'll all find out in a couple of days that we've been upgraded because of people who immediately rejected their positions upon finding out? Yeah? Yeah?

No, don't worry, I'm not actually that optimistic of a person. *sigh*

Oh yeah, since it's going to be asked at some point anyways, even if it is perhaps an impractical/unanswerable question... Does anyone know the chances for alternates getting upgraded? Or does anyone know if you're upgraded based on people who drop out at your own consulate, or for the entire program...?

i was debating between jet and a similar program in another country, and the biggest attraction to jet is the cashmoney. well, i guess being an alternate makes the decision making process alot easier...

interviewed in slc

I'll join the crying party. Alternate from Gainesville through Miami.

I agree that the wait has SUCKED so far. I also noticed the little comment about most alternates being upgrades. I still feel crappy, though.

I guess the Chiba program is looking more and more appealing. Hopefully my interview with them will go well.

So it's on a rolling basis... anyone from last year have any sense of the timeline? Do many of the alternates get upgraded in spring or summer, or is it mostly in Sept/Oct?

Alternate from Miami

I would assume that there's a chunk of upgrades at the beginning when people decide not to take their spots, then maybe trickle in after that?

I remember reading before some consulates let you call and get your position on the list, but my letter says not to contact them

Here's to hoping I'm somewhere closer to the top than bottom...

This is so depressing. But hey, it's better than rejection.

Alternate through Houston, my roommate is alternate through Nashville. Let's keep the faith.

If you guys haven't yet, check into the Official Application sticky at the top of the page so that I can update your status. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs
    I would assume that there's a chunk of upgrades at the beginning when people decide not to take their spots, then maybe trickle in after that?

I remember reading before some consulates let you call and get your position on the list, but my letter says not to contact them

That's kind of what I was thinking. How long do the shortlisted candidates have to accept or decline? Chicago is doing this Yahoo groups thing, and they haven't approved me to the group yet, so I don't have access to the documents.

Quote Originally Posted by impulsejosh
    Quote Originally Posted by patjs

That's kind of what I was thinking. How long do the shortlisted candidates have to accept or decline? Chicago is doing this Yahoo groups thing, and they haven't approved me to the group yet, so I don't have access to the documents.
    Yeah they just approved me. Everyone has ti 5/1 to reply. But obviously you can reply earlier so I assume there will be a number of people who decline right away.

I'm not sure about other consulates, but New York has until 4/25 to submit their reply form and certificate of health
    I'm so tired of playing, Playing with this bow and arrow, Gonna give my heart away, Leave it to the other girls to play.

alternate for Detroit here. I'm going to get my reply form in tomorrow. I'm betting my chances will be better the sooner I get it in.

My Japanese prof said 9 times out of 10 alternates get to go. Sure hope he's right!

Quote Originally Posted by stufflikethat
    alternate for Detroit here. I'm going to get my reply form in tomorrow. I'm betting my chances will be better the sooner I get it in.

My Japanese prof said 9 times out of 10 alternates get to go. Sure hope he's right!
    No it doesn't matter. We're all ranked on a list and they go by that list sent from Tokyo. I doubt how fast you get it in has any effect on your chances. You just get upgraded by position.

Quote Originally Posted by stufflikethat
    If you check the alternate thread from last year, I think about 2/3rds of us got upgraded (although some dropped out.)