Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alternate Thread

Default Re: Official Alternate Thread

Yeah, it's nice when places are understanding how important it is for us to find out about things asap. I'm going to be changing a lot of living/moving plans this summer depending on if I get upgraded or not!

I mean, I can understand consulates being wary of telling people if they have a good/bad chance of being upgraded, because I'm sure the people who were told they were so high on the list but never upgraded would be calling them like mad. But at the same time, expecting us to sit on our butts for even longer, not knowing even if we have the slightest chance of being in the program, is beyond frustrating. Sometimes I'd rather think it would be better to just be told "no" instead of being stuck in the maybe, maybe not limbo.
    going for a second round!

I'm damn glad I didn't get a flat-out "no," but yeah, I hate the limbo, too. It's really inconvenient not knowing how long I need to potentially be putting my life on hold.

Well, yeah, a flat out yes would have been even better!
    going for a second round!

Hahaha, very much agreed with you there.

Alternate out of Portland...yay more waiting! I need to dig deep for this well of patience i'm supposed to have O_O...the well is contaminated I say! Damn my pessimistic thoughts >_<

Don't lose hope guys! I know the economy is sucks right now but there are plenty of ALTs who will unexpectedly jump ship for whatever reason. There two guys who left early in my city, which allowed me and one other lucky ALT to get my (sweet, delicious) spot.

Just relax everyone. My best advice to all of you alternates is to just gradually go away from ITIL and pretend you've been rejected. Go party. Hang out with your friends. Just do ANYTHING besides go on ITIL. Trust me. That's what I did after a month and I only wish I'd do it sooner before I got the magical phone call that let me go to Japan.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

Near Candy Mountain past the Banana King's castle

Quote Originally Posted by maidenindigo View Post
    Okay, I feel dumb. I've been searching threads and getting mixed info. Does anyone know with any certainty whether alternates in the US have to - or at least should - send in the FBI background check, proof of graduation, or the Certificate of Health with their reply form? Should these things wait (as in turning them in, not getting them done) until we find out if we get upgraded? I want to send off the reply form, but I don't want to wait until I get the Certificate of Health filled out.
    Ya, I understand your confusion. The DC email was really vague, so I'm unsure too. I didn't even get any information regarding the FBI check (was there an attachment related to it?) so I'm really confused. I think maybe I'm just going to send in the reply form only and deal with the other stuff later.
    Well, if you figure out what DC wants, let me know!
    我爱台北

Quote Originally Posted by vdogvictor View Post
    I'm glad Detroit is nice about that, at least you can get somewhat of an idea on what your chances are. I don't really get why some places won't tell.
    Ahh, the ol' JET mantra, ESID.

That and some people are just pricks.

Portland consulate guy though: super nice and chill about it. But he still won't tell you your exact place in line...he will laugh when you ask though.

Not sure if you already got the letter in the mail or not. But I recall just sending in my reply form along with getting my health check done and sending the FBI form way way after everything else.
    My Hastily Taken Photos are Better Than Your Hastily Taken Photos (My Flickr)

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    I think the urge to become a cyborg is instinctual.

Quote Originally Posted by delandbeforetime View Post
    Chicagoans were informed that we could ask for a vague place on the list after replies are sent in in May. Austin also just said we can probably expect to start hearing about upgrades in late May/early June . . . I would love if this waiting process were as short as possible.
    Actually, he posted that upgrades happen as soon as shortlisters withdraw, so any time starting now, if there are some very nice withdrawing people out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Ya, I understand your confusion. The DC email was really vague, so I'm unsure too. I didn't even get any information regarding the FBI check (was there an attachment related to it?) so I'm really confused. I think maybe I'm just going to send in the reply form only and deal with the other stuff later.
    Well, if you figure out what DC wants, let me know!
    Since the FBI check and US Residency thingie take a loooong time to process, I was advised in my package that I received today to send away for that stuff now. It costs like $18 for the FBI thing and another $20 or so for the US Residency thing though :PPPP

I already sent my reply form but will get started on the other things next week.

** Oh, but you don't have to do the Health Check right away.
    Last edited by hayashirice03; April 10th, 2009 at 10:48. Reason: Additional Info

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Yeah, to be clear I wasn't upgraded. I was short listed all along and they just are fixing the mistakes now.

So I assume that upgrades haven't started yet.
    Really? You were an alternate technical mistake? But you were really shortlisted, right? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by delandbeforetime View Post
    I'm damn glad I didn't get a flat-out "no," but yeah, I hate the limbo, too. It's really inconvenient not knowing how long I need to potentially be putting my life on hold.
    Don't put it on hold. It would be much better to have short notice to leave your job and find a subletter or something than it would be to move in with your parents and work an entry level job you don't like for months before you give up hope.

I'm going to try to keep my life as "pick up and go"-able as possible, but there is a limit.

Though I guess if you're thinking grad school it gets a little more fishy, that's a lot harder to just pick up and go from. But that isn't till the Fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneiro View Post
    Just do ANYTHING besides go on ITIL. Trust me. That's what I did after a month and I only wish I'd do it sooner before I got the magical phone call that let me go to Japan.
    I need to see who gets upgraded and when it happens

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    As far as I understand you can reject the upgrade and still reapply as long as you haven't confirmed you're accepting the position.
    So would that mean preparing a fresh new SoP and going through all the steps again from the beginning?? Or would there be an easier process for alternates who'd be looking to reapply before December? I'd hate to think that if I decided to reapply for 2010, I'd once again be chucked on the alternate list (*shivers*)

I've just learnt that a friend of mine from Canada was shortlisted too.. so it seems I'm the only person outta my mates who was made an alternate FML!
    出発…阪南市へ!

Quote Originally Posted by capn jazz View Post
    Actually, he posted that upgrades happen as soon as shortlisters withdraw, so any time starting now, if there are some very nice withdrawing people out there...
    Yes, that's true. Although I feel like the earliest people will be getting in paperwork is next week, so I'm guessing there won't be a ton of upgrades that happen before May anyway.

And yeah, Vdog, you're right--I guess what I mean by I don't know how long I can "put my life on hold" is more . . . I don't know how long I can do exactly what I have been doing with no better prospects in sight. I mean, I like my job now just fine, but I'm about to graduate and really ready for a change of scenery.

I'd imagine they would wait until after all the reply forms come in (whenever your consulate/embassy's due date). Then proceed to start upgrades for alternates.
    Otherwise I'd imagine it would be kind of a pain and disorder would ensue if they started immediate upgrades while reply forms were still coming in.
    I mean what if the next alternate hasn't turned in their form yet? Are you going to skip the alternate and go to the next? Or just wait. In which case they might as well wait until all of them are received.

Quote Originally Posted by halohalo View Post
    So would that mean preparing a fresh new SoP and going through all the steps again from the beginning?? Or would there be an easier process for alternates who'd be looking to reapply before December? I'd hate to think that if I decided to reapply for 2010, I'd once again be chucked on the alternate list (*shivers*)

I've just learnt that a friend of mine from Canada was shortlisted too.. so it seems I'm the only person outta my mates who was made an alternate FML!
    Yeah you'd have to go through the whole process again! Pretty daft, can't imagine anyone would do that.

I know it's still very early, but do you know if anyone's contacted the London embassy about their alternate position? Are you tempted to? I am, but I think I'll wait till may when things get moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Yeah you'd have to go through the whole process again! Pretty daft, can't imagine anyone would do that.

I know it's still very early, but do you know if anyone's contacted the London embassy about their alternate position? Are you tempted to? I am, but I think I'll wait till may when things get moving.
    I'm definitely tempted to, but I'm not sure they're really going to say anything. Although I suppose you could disguise it as a "just checking if you received my alternate form okay" call, and then just slip your question in.

Tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by nickoakden View Post
    I'm definitely tempted to, but I'm not sure they're really going to say anything. Although I suppose you could disguise it as a "just checking if you received my alternate form okay" call, and then just slip your question in.

Tactical.
    Good idea. I'll try that one next week. Let me know if you have any success! (Not that I'm desperate for news or anything )