Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: Girl Stuff in Japan - Female Issues :]

Default Re: Girl Stuff in Japan - Female Issues :)

Also bringing Abreva for mothereffing cold sores. I'm a travelling pharmacy.

It's true: you do become your mother. :-(

It's pretty sweet that you can get BC in the states without a pap (Planned Parenthood HOPE visit), I just got my year prescription that way, now need to scramble to do my forms.

Random Q inspired by another thread, anyone in here have their hood done and had any onsen experience with it?

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

my conch piercings are really obvious since my hair is super short. i just wear simple pyrex plugs in them at school and save the blingy stuff for the weekends. if the teachers comment on them, i just say "yes, it's kind of rare" and leave it at that.

wry bread, pretty sure anyone who has stretched ears won't give a shit that you think it's gross. ha

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatpumpkin View Post
    So I received my contract in the mail today, and as I was reading through it I noticed something kind of curious.

In the section where it describes holiday, vacation, and additional leave it looks like I am appointed "menstrual leave". There isn't a set time frame for it. It just says "Those days where a female JET is unable to work due to severe menstrual discomfort"

Anyone else have this? Anyone ever use it before?

I don't see myself calling my male supervisor and being like "omg, I have the wooooorst cramps!" but I guess its nice that they give me the option. haha
    I have it in my contract and I attempted to use it once. I was stuck to my floor with the worst migraine in the history of ever and was just barely able to call the school sick. A female JTE came to see me to take me to the doctor, but I couldn't make it out the door so she said she'd try sneaking a sick day into my leave book and explaining it to the office ladies. I don't think she ever had to though since she reported back to the school that I really was sick so they were ok with it? In conclusion, you might get a lot of tooth-sucking if you try to use the menstrual leave. Call a female JTE or someone else in the office who you're comfortable with and try to explain why you're sick.

Quote Originally Posted by octopi View Post
    Also bringing Abreva for mothereffing cold sores. I'm a travelling pharmacy.

It's true: you do become your mother. :-(
    Hahaha yeeaaaah I think I packed all of my favorite remedies that I know WORK and get more from home whenever I can. People say you can find a lot of what you need here, but when something's wrong with me it's nice going into my closet and having what I need right there (and not worrying about whether something new will work or not).

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I have it in my contract and I attempted to use it once. I was stuck to my floor with the worst migraine in the history of ever and was just barely able to call the school sick. A female JTE came to see me to take me to the doctor, but I couldn't make it out the door so she said she'd try sneaking a sick day into my leave book and explaining it to the office ladies. I don't think she ever had to though since she reported back to the school that I really was sick so they were ok with it? In conclusion, you might get a lot of tooth-sucking if you try to use the menstrual leave. Call a female JTE or someone else in the office who you're comfortable with and try to explain why you're sick.
    My contract talks about menstrual leave as well. It list is under things that are not acceptable for sick leave. Yes, it is a type of leave, but you don't get to take sick days for it...it counts as nenkyu.

The reason they list is, because some BoEs require advance notice and approval for taking nenkyu, and you can be penalized for taking one randomly. In the contract they list exceptions, like mentrual leave, where you can call in and take the day off without notice, but you don't get to take a sick day.

Admittedly, it is kind of stupid. You can call in with a tiny cold and get sick leave, but if you have paralyzing cramps you better drag your gimp ass out of bed, or take nenkyu.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

let's talk about socks gingerbread's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Page View Post

Random Q inspired by another thread, anyone in here have their hood done and had any onsen experience with it?
    Is yours really visible when you're standing up? If not, I doubt there will be any problem. If anyone stares at you, it will probably be to envy your glamorous western boobs. Or to wonder at tidy pubic hair (they like it wild and wooly here)

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    Admittedly, it is kind of stupid. You can call in with a tiny cold and get sick leave, but if you have paralyzing cramps you better drag your gimp ass out of bed, or take nenkyu.
    I think this depends one where you are/who your CO is because for me it's different. Taking sick leave is such a hassle for me. If I want to take sick leave I have to call my supervisor and go to the hospital and get a doctor's note before they'll approve any sick leave. Hell, I had the flu last year and my supervisor was with me at the hospital when they told me that I had to be quarantined for 5 days and he looks at me and says "So I guess you have to use 5 days of nenkyu." When I told him I'd rather pay for the doctor's note and take sick leave he looked shocked.
    I have never called in to use the special leave but other people in my area have and they say it's not that difficult, just rather embarrassing because all the staff at school will know.
    Last edited by Yukino; June 27th, 2010 at 21:34.

He only looked shocked because he's Japanese and would never consider actually using sick leave... if you are honestly sick and can get it approved just take it.

Menstrual leave in my prefecture is unpaid...check to make sure of the exact terms in your contract.

I've never used a sick day or menstrual leave since I've never been sick enough to miss work, but it's a very "ESID" thing varying wildly between contracting organizations and schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I will not miss the Keihin Tohoku when I jump in front of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meelynn View Post
    Menstrual leave in my prefecture is unpaid...check to make sure of the exact terms in your contract.

I've never used a sick day or menstrual leave since I've never been sick enough to miss work, but it's a very "ESID" thing varying wildly between contracting organizations and schools.
    Menstrual leave, japan-wide, should be given but, as Meelynn says, as an unpaid day.

Whether or not your BOE gives you it is another matter all together.

If I had really bad cramps I would just call in sick but my BOE lets me take sick leave without getting a doctors note.

K2Heinzel

Quote Originally Posted by aulute View Post
    Another BC option is an IUD, and depending on how your body reacts it can also eliminate the need for pads/tampons/cups. Good for five years, all you need are yearly check-ups. I had a Mirena inserted last year and 1) I will never go back to taking daily pills, and 2) it's pretty nice not having a period at all!

Nowadays you can find doctors willing to insert one for you even if you haven't given birth, but I can tell you from personal experience that it can be an extremely uncomfortable procedure if you haven't.
    Kind of a similar situation, I'm frantically trying to get an IUD before departure to JET in 15 days (SO STRESSFUL), and am having the worst luck. At this point, if I'm able to get it before I go, I'm concerned about getting the post-insertion checkup. Mirena's website says to schedule a follow-up exam 4-12 weeks after insertion just to be sure all is well, I assume. But if I get it here in the states, has anyone had any issues with doctors in Japan helping out with their "American-inserted" IUDs? I'd need to schedule the follow-up checkup with a GYN in Japan, and then probably keep with said GYN for annual exams where they can also double check not the IUD.

~K2