Thread: who's still studying?

Default who's still studying?

I make a post like this just about once every 3 months, but yeah... anybody still make the effort to study?

any req's on books or anything for someone who's probably between 3kyuu and 2kyuu?

Shhh!
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

I always say "I'mma study after lunch today for sure" and then start wasting time on ITIL. I finished book 1 of the CLAIR advanced course, and up to the test in book 2... God I'm lazy!

I can never study because everyone is so distracting

Yesterday the printer was on non-stop and I sit next to it

So... occasionally

I'm working my way through the 3rd grade level of kanji in Kakitori-kun and every once in a while do a chapter or two in the CLAIR intermediate book. At least today's was useful, as it went over some particle usage.

Yerp I never stopped studying.

Just finished that bloody green Intermediate Kanji Book today. My brain hurts something severe.

Going to just chill out and do some general reading in J now I think for a while. I've got some Tintin books in J and some of those history manga things that primary school aged kids read which are mildy entertaining.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I just got back from my Japanese class... There's an awesome 64 year old Japanese as a Second Language teacher on my island, and he gives me two 1 1/2 hour free lessons each week. The man is an absolute godsend. Outside of that, I just make an effort to converse as much as possible.
    "The complex Japanese language and its writing system are inventions of the devil, designed to prevent the spread of Gospel."
    -Francis Xavier (1506-1552)

Always studying. So sad.

Just curious, but which textbook would you recommend to someone who knows only hira, kata, and a semester of basic grammar? I've heard "Genki" was worth the price--can a brother get some testimonials?

A brother can search the Japanese study forum Dombay pimps Genki a lot
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Genki will sort you out hard but you need to want it.

It's not a pussy walk in the park and is quite intense. You need to pay quite a bit for it and study hard but it will give you a really good grounding in Japanese really fast if you're willing to put in the effort.

You need the Textbook, workbook and CDs. You can also get the answer book which is a good idea.

I've never forgotten a grammar point that was introduced by genki though. You need volume one with its separate books and CDs and volume 2 with its separate books and CDs.

Do that and you're 3q level and then you can join the ranks of the wilderness between 3q and 2q which is the most fun ever.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Genki's what I've used since September, and I think it's brilliant. For me, some textbooks make a mistake in trying to 'immerse' you in Japanese as soon as possible. Genki explains everything in English, and it generally does it very succinctly. There are maybe two or three times in the book where there's a problem with the English, the most notable being an adjective that was translated as "great-looking". I initially thought it meant good-looking, but then a few chapters on and it's used in a sentence, this time translated as "hip". Even my Japanese teacher picked up on it being an odd phrase to use in English. But apart from that it's been excellent.

Also, you learn the dictionary forms straight away, at the same time as the masu forms, so you find converting the two easier later on.

I think you can always benefit from a class and a real teacher, but overall Genki is excellent for self-study.