Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: # of schools JET's teach at

Default # of schools JET's teach at

How many schools do Jet's usually teach at? 3 or 4? Also, do some JET's teach both high school and elementary school or all the same level?

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

yes

some only at one school some at 10
    some same leve some compleatly mixed
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Default 10 schools?

10 schools? what's the average? 10 must be rare.

in shiga 2 is average

Used to teach a 12, but they closed a few so now its 9. 10 schools isnt that much when each school only has 19 kids.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80
    yes

some only at one school some at 10
    some same leve some compleatly mixed
    Helpful. Really ;-)

But yeah, depends where you are and who you work for. In general, Municipal ALTs (employed by local BOEs) work at junior highs (grades 7-9) and some elementary schools, while Prefectural ALTs (employed by the prefecture) work at high schools (grade 10-12).

In my case, I'm municipal, there are 2 JHS in my town, I work at one, the other JET in town works at the other and we switch ever couple months. We have average 3-4 elementary school days a month divided among the 3 elementary schools in town. Most municipal ALTs I know are in a similar set up.

Meanwhile, prefectural ALTs have a base high school they'll spend most of their time at. Many of the prefectural ALTs I know have a visiting school (high school) they'll visit once or twice a week.

Public school is only compulsory through 9th grade, so high schools are administered by different people than the local elementary and junior high schools. You work at one or the other; meaning if you teach high school, you won't be teaching junior high (or elementary schools, probably) and vice versa.

meaning if you teach high school, you won't be teaching junior high (or elementary schools, probably) and vice versa.
    this isnt always true either, sometimes in really small towns all the schools are run by the same boe....and also, some jhs and es are run by the prefecture, we have 4 schools in shiga that are jhs and hs together and three of them have jets.

Yea but there is also City high schools. A few of the smaller cities round here have their own high schools and their own systems to deal with that. Not quite sure why but they do exist as xx shiritsu yy koko
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by markteacher80
    meaning if you teach high school, you won't be teaching junior high (or elementary schools, probably) and vice versa.
    this isnt always true either, sometimes in really small towns all the schools are run by the same boe....and also, some jhs and es are run by the prefecture, we have 4 schools in shiga that are jhs and hs together and three of them have jets.
    Well, of course it's not always true, this is JET after all. ;-) Doesn't every statement made about JET automatically come with an "ESID" disclaimer?

not always, for example "All JETs are utter twats"
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I work at 2 schools. The JHS is my base school, and I go to ES about twice a month.

Seven schools here. 1 "base"JH and 6 ES. I'm usually at JH 2 or 3 days a week, though usually only 2 now that they are trying to increase ES contact hours. My ES are all on the small size, though, with my smallest having the same number of kids in the entire school as a friend of mine has in most of his ES classes.

I supposedly will go down to 3 or 4 schools when I get transferred to a new city in July. I'm going to miss my mountain kids and tiny classes. :cry:

Nishiazai-cho, Shiga-ken ---> California, USA

I worked at a jhs and 2 elems...but now my old city has the JET teaching at just the jhs...not that it matters anymore since after my suc leaves they are ditching the program...
    You got the BFG 9000...Oh yes!!

In Shizuoka, there are some JHS ALTs who work for a different BOE, but the majority of ALTs in the JET program in Shizuoka are working at the prefectural level in high schools. We all pretty much work at only one school, which is quite nice because it gives us a chance to really get to know our students and staff. We can build some great bonds.

Same JHS four days a week, rotate between two elementaries on a Friday. Think most municipals JETs around here are about the same.

I have 1 JHS that I'm at 4 days a week, and I visit 1 of 3 elementary schools on a rotation basis every Wednesday.

It's different depending on not just the town, but the district. My other friends in town only have 1 JHS and 1 elementary school to visit.

I have one SHS and I stay here the whole week.
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

I think... maaaaybe... if you were to look at the average... it may be 2 schools.

Most people I know have 2. But then, there are loads who have way more than that, and loads who just have 1.

I have 2 - Senior high Monday to Thursday, and a special needs school on Fridays.
    fucking genki

First year: 6 JHS
    Second year: 4 JHS
    Third year: 2 JHS and 2 ELEM (don't go to them as often)

Hopefully next year I'll do to even less.

I've had schools with under 100 kids, and others with well over 600. I know there are several schools in my city with under 20 kids (total).

Every situation is different.

Far as I know, the majority of prefecturals in my city (hell, maybe prefecture) have only one SHS to go to.
    http://tokyoscum.blogspot.com/ I'm a complete dick or your money back!

GentleよりWildに, WildよりDangerous, 試してみれば!

さいて! さいた! 風に揺られて
    おだやかな坂は薄化粧
    下駄鳴らして口笛合わせ
    凛として はんなりの こころ

東方封魔録