View Poll Results: At how many schools are you assigned to teach?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • More than 5

0 0%
  • 230 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many schools?

Default How many schools?

So, how many schools do you teach at? (People complaining about the normal English use of prepositions are the sorts up with whom I will not put.)

If school assignments tend to change mid-year, I'd define this more specifically as how many schools you taught at during the last complete JET year.

That's weird. I searched for this ("how many schools", "number of schools") and didn't come up with any relevant posts. Sorry about that; I'll try again.

Year one: 6 JHS
    Year two: 4 JHS
    Year three: 2 JHS and 2 Elem
    Year four: ???? Probably the same as year three.

I've had schools with under 100 kids, and schools with over 600. Classes with only 12 kids, classes with 50. I've had good schools and schools where kids set a teacher on fire. I've had an hour commute, and a 5 minute commute.

I am legend.

Or just around too long.

It sounds like every situation is indeed different. However, it's nice to have a bit of a statistical overview. So far, it looks like a left-skewed distribution. (Of course, that's based on only 12 replies, so maybe the picture will change.)

Melbourne - Osaka - Felixstowe - Melbourne - Yandina

I'd be less worried about how many schools and more worried about how many faces.
    I only teach at 2 schools, but I teach 600 different students in a week and all my classes have 40 students in them.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."
    Stephen Fry, The stars' tennis balls

Quote Originally Posted by wicket
    I'd be less worried about how many schools and more worried about how many faces.
    I only teach at 2 schools, but I teach 600 different students in a week and all my classes have 40 students in them.
    Do you know a lot of students' names though? I probably know about three student names in my entire school. Katherine and Nana. Why she's called Katherine I have no idea, although I'm quite sure that's not her real name.

Last year I knew about 200 of the 320 kids I taught at my base school and made an effort to learn them because I was supposed to have them again this year.
    Things change and I've got all new students at both schools, so all new names.
    I'm adopting two homerooms and hope I can learn their names by the time I leave. 600 is just unrealistic.
    "Like anyone with a sliver of honesty in them I believe what I find I believe when I wake up each morning."

Last year I knew about 200 of the 320 kids I taught at my base school and made an effort to learn them because I was supposed to have them again this year.
    I'm adopting two homerooms and hope I can learn their names by the time I leave. 600 is just unrealistic.
    I'm thinking name tags are a goer this year.

I definitely enjoy the smaller classes. I teach at 5 schools and the smallest one combines the grades when I teach. Even with 3rd+4th and 5th+6th, those classes only have 15 students. The new batch of kids is even smaller with just 5! Sure makes name learning a snap though.

I wonder how small it has to get before they just close it down?

Quote Originally Posted by BarcelonaDude
    I definitely enjoy the smaller classes. I teach at 5 schools and the smallest one combines the grades when I teach. Even with 3rd+4th and 5th+6th, those classes only have 15 students. The new batch of kids is even smaller with just 5! Sure makes name learning a snap though.

I've wondered that, too. My smallest school has 38 kids in all, but I don't know if they can ever close it. This school is really out there in a mountain valley and yet most of the kids live even further away and actually take a bus rather than walk to school. It's the only ES out of my 6 that does that. The next closest ES is a 15 minute drive. But then, if the kids are already being bussed, what's another 15 minutes? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Kiwis
    I'm thinking name tags are a goer this year.
    To be honest, the name thing is one of the main reasons I got interested in studying kanji seriously. At my school their surnames are written on their slippers. Also embroidered on their sports uniforms. Very handy! But even then, I get the pronunciation wrong sometimes as some name kanji are pretty tricky.
    I use name tags for about two weeks of short home room (the 10 minutes every morning) until I'm confident I know their names; then I move on to the next homeroom.

1 school of 950. I know all the ESS members names and maybe 1/3 in each of my 13 classes (but some of those kids overlap, so...)... we're making them use name cards this time, so should know most of them. Don't care about the rest of the kids.
    For relaxing times when ITIL explodes, make it Japanistan time. (Actually, don't, it's broken forever)

Quote Originally Posted by lego
    My hobby is play sex play masturbation hand shikoshikoshiko.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

for the two years i taught my normal schedual was m tu w at one JHS and th f at the other, so i answered 2, but like twice a month i would visit an elementary school for the day, there were about 9 or 10 different elem schools i visited over the two years so i guess i could have put more than 5 as my answer, but does that really count?
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

1 JH, 3 elementary, 4 kindergartens. The JH classes are nearly 40 people per class, most of the elementary ones are 20-30 per class (with the exception of one class which is about 60 kids because they put the 1 and 2nenseis together for English at one of my schools) and the kindies are I think 15-20 per class.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

2 JHS (2-4 visits a month each)
    4 Elementaries (1-3 visits a month each)
    4 Kindergartens (2 visits a year)

I stand to gain another JHS and a couple more elementaries after the summer though because they're cutting one of the ALT positions here.

My junior highs and elementaries combined have a total of fewer than 200 pupils.

It seems to depend more on how convenient it is to bus them around, as well as how many teachers there are available. My smaller JHS has 13 students (up from 11 last year) but it's a comparatively long way from the next closest one.

At my larger JHS, the biggest class has 16 students - and until a couple of years ago, the pupils in that area went to three separate JHSs. They just merged the corresponding three elementary schools in that area this year, but I don't think any of the new year groups has more than one class. One of the elementaries that closed had a little display up of the school's history - it dated back to the Meiji era, and 70 years ago it had 300 pupils. Even in the early 80's it had 100. It closed with 35.

My high school dropped to 80 kids, and now its being closed down
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru

My high school dropped to 80 kids, and now its being closed down
    A friend of mine goes to an island school a couple of times a term. There is 1 student. Poor kid saw the gaijin walk into the room and started crying.

And why did you quote me? My kids don't cry. They are super naughty, but love me and I love them. I will cry when I can no longer go there
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Thanks for all the answers

At my eikawa we were just talking about this, and how the oldest lady's graduating class had 15 classes. That same school now has only has 4. Yet any time I go to Jusco the place is just packed with kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    And why did you quote me? My kids don't cry. They are super naughty, but love me and I love them. I will cry when I can no longer go there
    Did not mean to insinuate anything. Sorry!

This is an elementary school, not a high school. Poor kid is all by himself in a school with a Kocho-sensei, Kyoto-sensei, office bint, and his various teachers (yes, a staff of about 10 for 1 kid). Can never act up, be late with his homework, or even talk to other children. I don't blame him for crying. Having a big gaijin all to himself must have been really stressful.