View Poll Results: At how many schools are you assigned to teach?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • More than 5

0 0%
  • 230 100.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many schools?

Quote Originally Posted by karatemollie

This is an elementary school, not a high school. Poor kid is all by himself in a school with a Kocho-sensei, Kyoto-sensei, office bint, and his various teachers (yes, a staff of about 10 for 1 kid). Can never act up, be late with his homework, or even talk to other children. I don't blame him for crying. Having a big gaijin all to himself must have been really stressful.
    That is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by karatemollie
    Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    And why did you quote me? My kids don't cry. They are super naughty, but love me and I love them. I will cry when I can no longer go there
    Did not mean to insinuate anything. Sorry!

This is an elementary school, not a high school. Poor kid is all by himself in a school with a Kocho-sensei, Kyoto-sensei, office bint, and his various teachers (yes, a staff of about 10 for 1 kid). Can never act up, be late with his homework, or even talk to other children. I don't blame him for crying. Having a big gaijin all to himself must have been really stressful.
    That poor, poor child. :smt009
    What year is he?

And all that staff for one kid? Is a Kyoto-sensei really necessary? There must be so much pointless paper shuffling! Unless they're throwing parties in the staff room all day long...

I only have 2 schools, but each school has well over 900 students, and I see all classes, not just the OC ones. That's close to 2000 students. I'm lucky if I can remember their faces, nevermind their names.

I generally just give each class a blanket term ... "my pretties", "my zombies", "smarty-pants", "snot-nosedlittlebratI'mgonnakickyourass"...
    * And the Lord said unto John "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster. *

1 school. 150 kids.

Cannot remember all their names but know maybe 90 percent.

That's what name tags are for.

Andrelya, you could try something that I did with the ichnen girls. Just give them an English name that sounds kind of close to their Japanese name. The boys insist on being called Katsutoshi or whatever but things like Ami becoming Amy, Naomi becoming Naomi, Sayaka to sally that kind of stuff the first year girls thought was fun and it's easier to remember. I've got a wakana or something that ended up as Wendy and she also wet herself to be called the same thing as someone from Peter Pan.

We did that when I studied Italian as a kid much younger than these kids but Japanese kids seem to mature emotionally a lot more slowly.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

One school here, JHS, about 600 students. The 15 home room classes have around 40 kids, but, luckily, we have 18 different english classes (the slower kids are all grouped together...so when classes 1-1, 1-2, and 1-3 have English class, the lower third of each goes to the 1-123 class) so it's only around 25-30 kids per class.

I know very few kids names, which I feel bad about (especially since I only know the shits' names), and am making an effort to correct that this year, had all the classes make up a seating chart, always call kids by name, use kanji and furigana on the seating chart so I can start to actually read their nametags, etc.

Not sure how I feel about teaching at only one school...when I first started I was really psyched about it, but then I got the 5 worst JTEs in the district all placed in one school, which has created serious problems. And even now, with some new blood and reworked out relationships with 2 JTEs (so only 2 hate me now!), I get bored with the school and wouldn't mind a change of pace every couple of weeks. A visit school would be nice.

But, I do like that everyone considers me a full member of the teaching staff. Well, as much as an ALT can be a full member. The relationships are deeper, the kids open up more the longer I stay and I suspect that wouldn't happen if I was shifting between 2 or 3 schools. I also have classes that are MINE, like the elective class and the special ed class, something I don't imagine I would get if I were traveling between schools, and, man, it makes all the difference to have complete control over a class.

I sure would like to have a chance to work with another group of teachers, though...and not just JTEs. I swear, my school is where they send old senseis to quietly die. No one is under 40-45 except for one guy who is too frightened to talk to me.

I have the towns JHS and SHS. The other ALT teaches at the Elementary schools.

Both schools are small, with about 175 kids in the JHS and just under 200 in the SHS, but I don't teach the ninenseis SHS students. (Gr. 11.)

I know maybe 50% of their names through a combination of reference sheets with pictures and names, and from handing back worksheets every class with their name in romaji on them.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    good ideas
    I could... but I'm only here 4 more months, so I don't care enough to try. The kids seem overjoyed that I remember their faces and wave when I see them, so I'm willing to wallow in the present situation.
    * And the Lord said unto John "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster. *