Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intro/Questions

Deleted

Default Intro/Questions

Hello, one and all. I recently found this forum and, so far, I like it.

Anyways, enough formalities, here are my questions:

1) Does age affect one's chances of being accepted? The reason I ask this is because I'll be 20 by the time I get my Bachelor's. (I'm actually not even out of High School yet, but that's a rather long story...) Is there a preferred age range? Would my youth hurt my chances?

2) I've never lived on my own and I will still be living with my parents for the next two years. In other words, if I get accepted it would be my first taste of independence. What can I expect if I make it to Japan? (Yes, I realize that this is a pathetic question, but I'm sure at least a few others might want to ask this themselves.)

Those are my only questions for the moment; I'm sure I'll have more in the future. よろしくおねがいします.

Default Re: Intro/Questions

Quote Originally Posted by cactusutcac
    よろしくおねがいします.
    Dont do that

1) shouldnt be a problem

2) expect lots of japanese people everywhere

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by SethArmstrong
    よろしくおねがいします.
    Dont do that
    Ok, I won't.

2) expect lots of japanese people everywhere
    lol wut

1. No age does not generally affect chances of acceptance. Although JET technically has a cut off age at 40.

2. If you want a better chance at getting accepted into JET, make an effort to do some kind of study abroad program during your studies. Those kinds of programs are great for helping people to "grow up" so to speak. If you make it to Japan, try to imagine what it would be like being on your own and then imagine being in another country where English is not spoken by everybody. Point is it might be stressful for the first few months but you would eventually adapt.

1) I don't think they would take anyone younger than 20 (20=adulthood in Japan) but if you are at least 20, no problem.

The thing that might make acceptance more difficult is your lack of experience in living on your own. JET recruits people who they think will be stable and not freak out and go home. If you have lived with your parents for your whole life and have never spent time abroad, they may be reluctant to accept you. Do yourself a favor and study abroad or take a trip to a foreign country without mom and dad.

2) Read the whole archive of ITIL and learn this phrase "Every Situation is Different"

lol wut
    Don't do that either.

Age affects nothing. Maturity levels, however...
    Honestly, I'd try to get out of your house as soon as possible. No use going through culture and adult shock.
    ≋✰ The More You Know

Age shouldn't hurt. There's a JET here who was 20 when he came over. I, myself, was 21.

I think it might be tough for you to get thrown into living on your own, away from your family, and in Japan, it's hard to deal with any one of those things so all three might be tough. If you can, try to get some distance. Someone recommended doing study abroad - do that if you can. Move out of your parents' house if you can.

Age won't hurt, but having never lived alone might. If you get through to interview prepare to be damn convincing as to why you won't have a post-arrival freak out and go straight back home. Not all applicants have to be well travelled, financial situations often prevent people from being so, but you're going to need something to prove you're capable of travelling by yourself.

I realise you're asking in really general terms, but no one can really tell you what Japan is going to be like. Even if you got placed in exactly the same apartment building, in eactly the same school, with exactly the same responsibilities as another JET, a lot of how you experience Japan is down to you.
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Deleted

:

I'm actually not even out of High School yet, .
    You still need a degree. A lot of things could change by that time, so wait a few years and ask again
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Hello, one and all. I recently found this forum and, so far, I like it.

Anyways, enough formalities, here are my questions:

1) Does age affect one's chances of being accepted? The reason I ask this is because I'll be 20 by the time I get my Bachelor's. (I'm actually not even out of High School yet, but that's a rather long story...) Is there a preferred age range? Would my youth hurt my chances?

2) I've never lived on my own and I will still be living with my parents for the next two years. In other words, if I get accepted it would be my first taste of independence. What can I expect if I make it to Japan? (Yes, I realize that this is a pathetic question, but I'm sure at least a few others might want to ask this themselves.)

Those are my only questions for the moment; I'm sure I'll have more in the future. よろしくおねがいします.
    All I needed to see is you saying you've never left your state (let alone Country). If you had that as your last question, you would be about 90% of Americans. Reading half the questions in threads started now that people know they are going to be in JET; it seems to point they've never:

1) Lived on their own.
    2) Traveled abroad.
    3) Lived abroad.
    4) Or been away from mommy and daddy for long enough to be autonomous.
    5) Seem very neurotic due to some of the weird questions being asked when there is like 4 months before you leave.

So basically I think you will be 100% ok as far as applying for JET once you are even able to in a couple of years........

Hell, I try try to get out of my comfort zones whenever possible just to spice things up. You should too..While at Uni try a study abroad outside of North America. (and try somewhere where English isn't the national language).

Deleted

@Narniaru: I have a degree (Associate's) but I don't have the degree (Bachelor's). I just need two more years and I'll have my Bachelor's. Like I said, long story...

@lazarus: I'm afraid I can't ever say I've never left my state since I've travelled most of the Central and Eastern United States.

@Everyone who said do a study abroad:

Conversation that I had about a year back with the 'rents:

Me - Hey, guys, you mind if I go study in a foreign country on your dime?

Mum - *Dangling the checkbook just out of my reach* I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Star Fox.

Me - :cry:

Could always flip burgers so you're not doing it on their dime?

I mean, it's your call, but if you're really serious about this or any sort of similar job, studying abroad or doing an internship or *something* can only help you. Hell, even apart from JET or whatever, it's a great experience.

Dunno about your school, but actually at mine the study abroad programs came out more or less equiv to the cost of attending the school itself. Worth a look, see what's out there - there're quite a few opportunities that don't involve tons of cash.

Hi OP,

1) youth shouldn't matter as long as you meet the applicant criteria.

2) if you are interested in this program, you are showing a desire to expand your horizons, that is what JET wants. They will be concerned about culture shock and homesickness if you make it to the interview stage, however as an intelligent person you will have figured out how to address this by then.

Other thoughts:
    A) There are ways to go abroad not on your folks dime, JET is one of many. Look for sister cities opportunities, often times you can apply for grants through your city. Also, look towards faith-based organizations, a dear friend of mine just organized 15 of her "Global Issues" high school students into a border crossing trip with her church, turning a mission trip into a Social Justice weeklong lesson plan. Sometimes a round peg fits into a square hole.

faith based? You have to be kidding, the poor bastard would be better off joining the marines if he wants to travel for free.

dude Seth....churches send you places for free...I'm not saying belong or believe...just take the free shit and run if you are so inclined...I hope folks have an open enough mind to listen or not listen & make up their own minds...

So you either join a church program for legitimate reasons and therefore are a raving psycho or you take unfair advantage of a charitable organisation and therefore are an utter cunt who deserves a painful death?

Military sounds like a less morally ambiguous route to me.

I have no problem ripping off the church, they already did the same with my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Powers
    Father O'mally touched me in my special place.
    Thats very open of you but I don't think this is the time or the place to discuss such things.

So you either join a church program for legitimate reasons and therefore are a raving psycho or you take unfair advantage of a charitable organisation and therefore are an utter cunt who deserves a painful death?

Military sounds like a less morally ambiguous route to me.
    Imitation is the highest form of flattery mate, I'd take it.

cowardice is the only thing stopping me at this point