Thread: Applying to schools

Default Applying to schools

Do you guys have any tips or advice for people wanting to apply for job vacancies from schools via o-hayo sensei, etc?

I notice a few of them require a 'letter of introduction' in your initial email to them. Do they mean a cover letter, or a reference? I'm going to assume cover letter...

I've always read that its better to apply for these kinds of vacancies than work for the likes of GEOS and such, but to provide some balance to that, are there any warnings you can give me? Tell-tale signs of doom? Scams or anything? Are they really always better than companies?

Just thought I'd start a 'private school' type thread as I dont see too much information about this method of getting to live and work in Japan online, just occasional comments here and there, always saying "You're better off applying directly than working for a chain", etc.

I've pretty much decided to steer clear of the eikaiwas too. I just don't like the hours many of them give. The way most of them are set up, it seems like it would be very difficult to socialize or explore. I would like to travel around and also meet up with some of the people from ITIL when I go over. This would be difficult if I was working a shift from 12-9pm or even worse, a shift split with working mornings and evenings. Plus, I like the idea of working in a school that isn't a business. If I wanted to do sales, I would have stayed working as a trainer at the gym I worked for.
    Tofu Robot says, "Meat is Murder!" Mwahahaha....

You bring up some interesting points, but I would have thought more hours would be involved with schools, like with after school activities or festivals?

Definitely hearing you on the anti-sales approach though. The GEOS interview I went to recently really rammed home the 'business' aspect which was really offputting. (even though I probably would have went with them if they accepted me. 'cause I'm desperate)

Depending on if I get my Trinity TESOL, I'll start approaching schools via their vacancies in May, but I'm wondering how the recruitment process would go. Do they really hire people on telephone interviews alone? When I first discovered this entire industry of teaching English in Japan, I knew there were two ways to go about it and language schools always seemed a 'safer' bet, because they're so public and have contracts, and random schools seem more low-key and can kick you out of the job/house with ease. Obviously Nova and the like prove that the big chains are no more 'safe' than anywhere else, but I've yet to read about anyone's experiences with teaching for an actual school and who wasnt on the JET programme. Anyone out there willing to yap about their experiences? I imagine its more or less like being on the JET programme but with less hand-holding?

Banned

Default Great

bump then lurk as soon as possible  Let us take a moment of the time just to pay tribute and show appreciation to the person called mom though some may not say it openly to their mother. There's no substitute for her. Cherish every single moment. Though at times she may not be the best of friends, may not agree to our thoughts, she is still your mother!!! She will be there for you...to listen to your woes, your braggings, your frustrations, etc. Ask yourself...have you put aside enough time for her, to listen to her “blues” of working in the kitchen, her tiredness? Be tactful, loving and still show her due respect though you may have a different view from hers. Once gone, only fond memories of the past and also regrets will be left.  Don't take for granted the things closest to your heart. Love her more than you love yourself. Life is meaningless without her ...Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap WOW Gold!All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling ------------------------------Chinese Tea, Green Tea, China Tea, Black tea, Oolong Tea,