Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009

Default 2009

Well I know this is early, and maybe it's jumping the gun a little too much, but I want to get rolling on the application process ASAP.
    I've lurked here for a while and answered a lot of my questions about the application process. My main questions are:

Does anyone know what date EXACTLY they open for applications? Or a good ballpark?
    I'm assuming they've taken their application site (jetapplication.us) offline until they are ready to accept (can't believe I wrote except) applications.

The word is that handing in your application early doesn't earn you any bonus points, is this totally true? I plan on getting my application done quickly, but obviously I'll be careful and take the time I need to make it complete and error-free.

Also, can some people give me the dates they were accepted into the program (post interview)? That way I can plan my time accordingly..

Thanks!
    paule

the 2008-9 year is the final year of JET. sorry.

Default Re: 2009

Quote Originally Posted by paule
    Does anyone know what date EXACTLY they open for applications? Or a good ballpark?
    I don't know exactly, I think this year it was around the end of September?

The word is that handing in your application early doesn't earn you any bonus points, is this totally true?
    I don't think it matters at all when you get the app in. Mine arrived in D.C. around 3 days before the deadline and I was shortlisted.

Also, can some people give me the dates they were accepted into the program (post interview)? That way I can plan my time accordingly..
    Most of the U.S. emails seemed to go out on April 3rd. I think South Africa and a few Australians heard a week before this. Everyone else was done by the middle of April.

Great, thanks.

September huh... that's along ways away. I wish I hadn't thought about this for another few months atleast.

Great, thanks.

September huh... that's along ways away. I wish I hadn't thought about this for another few months atleast.
    Wait for someone else to respond about the time the app went up because I honestly don't know, I applied late.

But yes as you may have read the whole process can be summed up as just plain LONG.

You'll have a lot of time for thinking about who you want to ask for your letters of recommendation.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

In Canada the applications went up October 16th in 2007. I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by UPGRAYEDD
    You'll have a lot of time for thinking about who you want to ask for your letters of recommendation.
    Hah, yeah, which is a good thing. But... I already have them picked out.
    Got an Academic Dean from a University and a Secondary English Teacher, both strong letter of recommendation writers

Quote Originally Posted by Oriana
    In Canada the applications went up October 16th in 2007. I hope that helps.
    Thanks!

I didn't even know about JET until someone mentioned it to me off-hand in October....you're well ahead of the game!

No one knows exactly when the apps go up because JET don't know themselves. They give a ballpark figure on the website, but don't always stick to it. The UK app came out a few weeks after they said it would for the year I applied.
    "The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach" -- Oscar Wilde

Last year they said late September, and didn't have them up until the beginning of October. I read somewhere that this year they are saying early October.
    Tofu Robot says, "Meat is Murder!" Mwahahaha....

Got an Academic Dean from a University and a Secondary English Teacher, both strong letter of recommendation writers
    Might want to find another person other than the Secondary English Teacher. From my recollection, the only educational ref letters they will accept is from a University.. (apparently they don't care if it is a prof or not).

If the Secondary teacher was a "boss"/Superior for a job you were doing, I would make 100% sure they note that (since you can have a professional reference in lieu of a educational one).

Here, this song should get JET off your mind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXjQQYisDvo

Or not...................

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus
    Might want to find another person other than the Secondary English Teacher. From my recollection, the only educational ref letters they will accept is from a University.. (apparently they don't care if it is a prof or not).

If the Secondary teacher was a "boss"/Superior for a job you were doing, I would make 100% sure they note that (since you can have a professional reference in lieu of a educational one).

Here, this song should get JET off your mind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXjQQYisDvo

Or not...................
    Haha thanks for the song.

I forgot to note that the secondary education teacher is a supervisor/mentor for student teaching. So.. it's more professional than educational.

This true. I am planning on applying in September/October '08 as well for the 2009 year. That not going to be able to be done or?
    "One night i dreamt i was a butterfly, fluttering around. Then i awoke a man. But in truth what am I, a man who dreams he is a butterfly, or a butterfly who dreams he is a man."

He doesn't know. He's BSing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    This true. I am planning on applying in September/October '08 as well for the 2009 year. That not going to be able to be done or?
    A quick read of any of his posts makes everything he says invalid.
    haha,
    I think he's hillarious though

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Trenody
    Last year they said late September, and didn't have them up until the beginning of October. I read somewhere that this year they are saying early October.

Early October? Hah! It wasn't up until the 15th...

Seriously, it's not even May just yet... you have nothing to worry about. I didn't find out about last year's December 3 deadline until the beginning of November, and I'm shortlisted. It can be done, and it's not as awful as it's made to seem. Enjoy your summer.

Thank you oh wise sage, what other gems from your vast experience can you past down to us?