Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009

Quote Originally Posted by SethArmstrong
    Thank you oh wise sage, what other gems from your vast experience can you past down to us?
    Please solicit personal advice by PM. :x

But really, what are the odds of getting accepted if one really does need to worry NOW?... about a couple of lousy forms and an essay that's supposed to be statement of personal intent. It's not that difficult.

Or would you care to share a bit of your vast experience and tell us about the nights you spent wringing your hands trying to find the perfect opening sentence, or waking up in a cold sweat wishing you hadn't sent your application?... if only you could change that one word!... When you worried yourself sick over it, did you puke or faint?...

Father knows the ambassador so I never filled in an application but I hear its a bitch

From the sounds of things, filing the application is a lot like working on the program: sounds big and scary and difficult, but really it's just kind of long, often tedious, and involves a good amount of red tape and jumping through hoops (at worst).

Then again, I guess I can't speak for the difficulty in terms of the point system used to assess applications, because I'm not sure how that breaks down.

I know the application was set to come out "next week" for a few weeks in September or something. I don't remember when it actually came out.

I suppose you could start working on your statement and such now. Gives you plenty of time to construct a well-written one.

It might not give you much of an advantage to get on this early and turn it in early, but at least you'll have more peace of mind when the deadline approaches.

I would definitely try to find something else to think about though. Judging from my past few months, you'll have plenty more things to wait for impatiently after you turn in the application.

Yes, if you have your references in mind and ready to go there's really not a whole lot else you can do now besides the statement of purpose.

Even that I don't think is worth starting too early. There is such a thing as too much editing in my opinion. I kind of wrote mine like I wrote all of my college papers- all at once at the very last minute and only revised once or twice.

The Japanese version of the Central Valley

I'd also like to add it's also a good idea to have one of the people who writes your letter of rec to read your personal statement so they can go over it and help revise it for you.