Thread: A little translation help?

Default A little translation help?

If this isn't the right place, I'm sorry!

My post office sent me a letter, and I can't figure out what's wrong. I'm going to a school that knows no English today, so I can't ask for help.

This is what I got from it, but I'm sure some of it is wrong b/c some of the words I looked up seemed odd, and some kanji, I couldn't figure out to look up, and those seemed to be the important ones...

The note: http://www.geocities.com/kisskissareweinlove/note.jpg
    (you can click for full-size)
    My thoughts:
    "Thank you for always using our post office (at the top) ( ).
    The other day, the International Remittance Formalities (was a great success) and (kept waiting).
    Did (Great success) ( )?
    The remittance (throughout) ( ) there was mention of a record ab ou your address ( ) because of formalities, it may be a convenient time ( ) let's thank and yoroshiku onegaishimasu."

Yeah, obviously, that's way off. I'm thinking that 1) I asked them to hold my mail in a letter, and they did, or 2) Something was wrong w/my last money order, or 3) I did something wrong the last time I was there?

Is there anyone out there better at Japanese than me?

Thanks for any help! I don't want to go back there until I know what's wrong for in case they ask, but I have to pick up a package, lol!

There are a couple kanji I can't quite read (I don't know what 中込書 refers to), but it sounds like they have a question about the address, so they want you to contact them.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

thank you for using the post office we are sorry that it took time to do some procedures to send international money order we have a question about the address you put on the paper, please contact us when you have free time

the way it is written sounds like maybe they are having a hard time sending it becuse an address was written wrong.
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Quote Originally Posted by SarahJ27
    (I don't know what 中込書 refers to).
    I think that what looks like 中込書 is 申込書 (application form), which would make a lot more sense! :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by tsugaruzuki
    (I don't know what 中込書 refers to).
    I think that what looks like 中込書 is 申込書 (application form), which would make a lot more sense! :wink:
    That would indeed! And now I feel retarded cause it's also really obvious. I don't know how I mistook that, lol.

(The Heisig naysayers are gonna jump on me for that one, even though I learned both those kanji outside of Heisig, lol)

heisig wouldn't teach you that in the bok you are learning anyway. you are not going to learn vocabulary through that learning method so i think the mistake you made is completely independent of that and more to do with you not having a careful eye :P

Quote Originally Posted by karumu
    heisig wouldn't teach you that in the bok you are learning anyway. you are not going to learn vocabulary through that learning method so i think the mistake you made is completely independent of that and more to do with you not having a careful eye :P
    Or that characters sometimes (by that I mean always) look different than the very distinct characters MS Mincho provides on any PC.

I can't read handwritten kanji all the time...and feel just as stupid every time. :P

Quote Originally Posted by tsugaruzuki
    Or that characters sometimes (by that I mean always) look different than the very distinct characters MS Mincho provides on any PC.

I can't read handwritten kanji all the time...and feel just as stupid every time. :P
    Looking at it again, I can very plainly see that it's 申 and not 中, but when I even remember me looking at it before, I distinctly remember seeing 中, lol. This happens to me in English sometimes too.

Thanks so much, everyone! It's so helpful! I'll head over there in the morning. Interestingly enough, I don't even recall doing a money order recently, but obviously I did. *laughs* I think that's why I was the most confused over the letter, because it's been a month or so since I sent $$, and that just came the other day. When I saw them the *other day,* I gave them a note about not being here during GWeek and to hold my mail.

I'll have to dig up my addresses and see what happened. Thank you so much!

Also, the 中 and 申 also confused me, so I translated throughout. At one point, I did see the little line in the middle, but I figured it was nothing and ignored it, since it certainly didn't remind me of 申 or anything else! The kanji set wasn't one I recognized. ^^;;;
    [I reallllllly dislike handwritten kanji; I can't figure it out 1/2 the time, even when it's something I know! I think that's why my own handwriting is still so blocky....^^;;]
    Thanks again! :smt008

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

The Heisig naysayers are gonna jump on me for that one, even though I learned both those kanji outside of Heisig, lol
    Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah Heisig sucks the world and my butt! :P

And I wouldn't even have thought of it if you hadn't mentioned it. :twisted:
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Honestly, that person has terrible writing. It's friggen barely legible chicken-scratch. I also got confused on the 申込書 versus 中込書 thing because the line in the middle was barely visible at max magnification, not to mention the 待 that looked more like 符. Translation-wise, Mark hits it dead on (as expected).

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman
    Honestly, that person has terrible writing. It's friggen barely legible chicken-scratch. I also got confused on the 申込書 versus 中込書 thing because the line in the middle was barely visible at max magnification, not to mention the 待 that looked more like 符. Translation-wise, Mark hits it dead on (as expected).
    I'll disagree here, i find this handwriting very nice and legible. Hell if you read the handwriting of most of the chinese i helped learn english, their characters are much harder to read and more cursive. this is very legible.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman
    I'll disagree here, i find this handwriting very nice and legible. Hell if you read the handwriting of most of the chinese i helped learn english, their characters are much harder to read and more cursive. this is very legible.
    Yeah, it doesn't look that bad to me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

It's still chicken-scratch shit.. Just look at how half-assed 郵便局 is written...