Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genki Vs Minna no Nihongo

Default Genki Vs Minna no Nihongo

It looks like a lot of people here use Genki as their text. Has anyone worked through Minna no Nihongo? I'd be interested to hear how you think they compare.
    I've been using Minna no Nihongo at school, but there is absolutely no english in it. Not complaining by any means, but I get the feeling I'd be struggling if I didn't have a teacher helping out.

Any thoughts?

why dont you just buy the english translation/grammar book?

Not a bad idea. thanks

You pretty much nailed it. Minna if you're in a class with a teacher to help, Genki for self-study.

you have one book entirely in japanese, this is the exercise stuff, then you have the other one which explains the grammar and vocabulary in english. what more do you need? i got these books in japan and they were cheap. i never liked genki and i think minna is suitable for self study. not sure why you would need a teacher for it.

Quote Originally Posted by karumu
    you have one book entirely in japanese, this is the exercise stuff, then you have the other one which explains the grammar and vocabulary in english. what more do you need? i got these books in japan and they were cheap. i never liked genki and i think minna is suitable for self study. not sure why you would need a teacher for it.
    Oh? I picked up my copy of Minna though my courses, never even got a look at the English half. :P Heh, thanks for making me aware it existed.

Hey thanks for the help everyone. Good advice.

Yeah, we just use Minna for the exercises. I learn the actual grammar in class and write it down myself. But it's good to know there's an english grammar book to help with the self study.

Pandilex

I have used both and mina no nihongo sucks ass in comparison to genki

Quote Originally Posted by Pandilex
    I have used both and mina no nihongo sucks ass in comparison to genki
    Care to elaborate? If you've used both I'd appreciate your comparison.

PEZ it is best you just go into a shop and look at both the offerings you are thinking of.

I completely disagree with Pandilex, i think Genki is crap and hated every moment of using (only a couple of weeks thank god) it but i loved using minna no nihongo.
    Then again Pandilex loves the heisig method for learning kanji and i prefer a completely different method.

so the best advice anyone here can give you is to look at both the books, and see which one suits your style more.

if you are looking for great grammar books without exercises but examples (numerous examples) then i suggest The Japan Times - A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and the intimidate edition as well. they are great at explaining grammar.

Maybe this would be good for the wiki now that it works again.

That wiki has so much potential.

I have an exam tomorrow but after that when I have more time I'll make a stab at making a Genki article.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Pandilex

I found mina no nihongo to be -extremely- boring, and poorly formatted. Genki is the opposite and it has the -best- explanations for everything.

definitely. The grammar explanations in genki are really good.

Considering the short amount of time that I was using it (I live in a pretty small town) I just kind of thought it was a bit expensive but then when you start studying for 2q you're in a whole world of financial pain as you have to get so many different books.

Bloody expensive this language.

I have used both and like both. As far as grammar points go why not invest in a grammar dictionary? For basic grammar Naoko Chinos Basic Japanese sentence patterns in handy, for higher level study the Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar is great (forget the author though)

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    definitely. The grammar explanations in genki are really good.

Considering the short amount of time that I was using it (I live in a pretty small town) I just kind of thought it was a bit expensive but then when you start studying for 2q you're in a whole world of financial pain as you have to get so many different books.

Bloody expensive this language.
    The kanken books are nice and cheap

Only really good once you're studying for 2q and above though.

I use their grammar book and I quite their kanji book. Their book for the reading section is good practice but it's boring as batshit to use I found. But then all their books are not really too great for being interesting I've found.

Their vocab book is bad and I don't recommend it because it covers both 1q and 2q which seems like a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    Only really good once you're studying for 2q and above though.

I use their grammar book and I quite their kanji book. Their book for the reading section is good practice but it's boring as batshit to use I found. But then all their books are not really too great for being interesting I've found.

Their vocab book is bad and I don't recommend it because it covers both 1q and 2q which seems like a waste of time.
    I dont think most folk would be looking at the kanken unless they were 2Q or 1Q (or smart enough to be taking the Jtest instead of the JLPT)...that said im 99Q but just like reading children's books...

What's the heisig method of learning kanji?

Fabulous thing Google http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...=heisig+method

Minna is boring and Genki 1 is okay
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Sorry if this has been asked already, but can anyone a recommend a good post みんなの日本語 II book?