Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Translation/Pedagogy CLAIR Courses

Default Translation/Pedagogy CLAIR Courses

Hello,

Anyone done either of these? I'm not sure if I want to bother asking my bosses for money to go to Shiga for the seminar. Plus then there is the qualifying exam first. Anyone done it? Is it hard? Is it a general Japanese exam or is it on translation or Pedagogy?

I finished the Advanced course a couple of months ago and life without a CLAIR course .. you know how would I go on.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Honestly, if I knew what pedagogy actually meant, I might care about these courses. If it's anything like linguistics, then it will not help at all in learning the language. Apparently linguistics is only useful if you want to become a teacher of a foreign language.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman
    Honestly, if I knew what pedagogy actually meant, I might care about these courses. If it's anything like linguistics, then it will not help at all in learning the language. Apparently linguistics is only useful if you want to become a teacher of a foreign language.
    Pedagogy just means the methods of teaching. It's technically the art or "science" of being a teacher. It's word I hear on a daily basis, even when it doesn't seem appropriate.

God, like the other day I saw this pedagogy of geese flying overhead...

Quote Originally Posted by tsugaruzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyakuman
    Pedagogy just means the methods of teaching. It's technically the art or "science" of being a teacher. It's word I hear on a daily basis, even when it doesn't seem appropriate.
    Ah, I knew it had absolutely nothing to do with learning the language... And a big X goes through that line on the CLAIR Japanese courses.

What about the translation course - worthwhile?

Also, while we're here - the courses last six months, I'm told, so can we take two a year, or is it just once per year with six months' downtime? Thanks.

One a year.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maidenindigo
    God, like the other day I saw this pedagogy of geese flying overhead...
    I remember hearing about someone who either got a reprimand from their boss or got fired for using the word "pedagogy" in a proposal because said boss thought it meant the same thing as "paedophilia".

On a more constructive note, if you decide to do this and your BOE are on the anal side, make sure you tell them well before the deadline. One of the ALTs in my town wanted to do the linguistics and pedogogy course last year but he didn't mention it until our monthly meeting the day before the deadline. Our sup is incredibly anal about missing elementary visits, and she proceeded to kick up a shit about a visit seven months from then. His elementary school probably wouldn't have given a shit, but she won't OK anything like that until much faffing around has taken place, so he ended up getting chottoed out of it. (What got me is that a few months ago she came up to me and asked if I was interested in doing the translation course this year. I pointed out that she'd chottoed the other ALT out of it last year, and she actually had the brass balls to say that it was because they didn't have the money. )
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

Hello!

I did the Linguistics/Pedagogy course this year. Have to say I really enjoyed the mental stimulation and the end of course seminar in Shiga was frickin hilarious - was in a group with THE most fun people ever and spent the whole week wetting myself laughing in class.

First things first, you have to get confirmation from your BoE that they'll let you go on the seminar. Once you have that, you apply and get the test. To be honest, my written Japanese is terrible (forgot loads of kanji in the test) so I just wrote a lot of hiragana. But actually most of the questions you can answer in English. It's not that difficult and both my friend and I passed. Then they send Book One out in August and you have to have it done by the end of August - I travelled in the summer and got back with two days to spare! Managed to finish the tasks in about five hours and get an A. The other books I often left to the last day to write up (but you do have interview tasks which need to be done earlier) and I still passed with an A average. Each month you get a Task Book and reading book and it depends, but most months the contents are fascinating! Highly recommended!

I'm thinking of doing the translation course. How's the difficulty factor? I barely passed the advanced level but admit I could have studied a lot harder- is the entrance test possible?

Maybe I should study a bit before as well. Just like with the JLPT.

Default Umm..yeah.. so..

Keeping this thread on track...
    I'd kinda like to know along with dombay about 'how difficult' the entrance exam is. I've been told I can try for the translation course (my BOE 'found' money (???) ) so I'm really curious about it.

Is there anyone out there who can give a quick run down of what sections are in the test, about how long each lasts and some actual sample questions???

"Yeah, its kinda difficult" is a nice start, but really doesn't help that much coz, you know, when a native speaker says it and when some dude who's been studying Japanese for 2 weeks says it, it kinda means different things.
    Anyone actually remember some questions?

I decided not to do apply. I know that I'd be allowed to do it by my bosses but I want to put my efforts into the JLPT and other things I've got cooking this year. .. good luck though! Let us know how it turns out.

Oh. Umm....
    well...
    I'd still like to know

Default Re: Translation/Pedagogy CLAIR Courses

Did anyone here actually ever take the translation and interpretation entrance test? CLAIR says that expect you have 2kyuu level and I passed that fairly easily but anything at all about the format of the test, etc would be nice.

yeah, my boe wouldn't let me apply for the past two years because the mandatory conference would be missing class time. they didn't care about the money though, and said if it was during summer vacation they'd let me go but... no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcubed View Post
    Did anyone here actually ever take the translation and interpretation entrance test? CLAIR says that expect you have 2kyuu level and I passed that fairly easily but anything at all about the format of the test, etc would be nice.
    The test is a translation/interpretation test, surprisingly enough. There are written passages in both languages to be translated (I think this is about a 40-minute section?) and then a CD with short passages which you have to immediately interpret for a tape recorder, again in both languages.

Not hard grammatically but some of the vocab used is kinda obscure (which goes for the whole course as well).

Thanks for the info. Good thing I've been brushing up on writing kanji lately because a few months my ability to write kanji was embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by fredbarbarossa View Post
    The test is a translation/interpretation test, surprisingly enough. There are written passages in both languages to be translated (I think this is about a 40-minute section?) and then a CD with short passages which you have to immediately interpret for a tape recorder, again in both languages.

Not hard grammatically but some of the vocab used is kinda obscure (which goes for the whole course as well).
    Thanks for this.

I applied for this as soon as I got the forms. Haven't heard back from my BoE yet. I'm a little concerned about the interpreting section. I've done a little translation but interpreting is so... difficult. My English always come out sounding all... unnatural?

My supervisor said it'd take 5-7 days to get the principal and the head of the english department to sign off on my request to get the days off. I haven't even taken the bloody test yet! Do you guys think I should tell him I'm just asking about budget, and I don't know whether I can participate yet?

Also, this is kind of rich: I was showing him the manual and he stops me and goes, "What's CLAIR?"

Quote Originally Posted by kingmongkut View Post
    Also, this is kind of rich: I was showing him the manual and he stops me and goes, "What's CLAIR?"
    I don't find that too surprising actually... ^_^; Just curious but are you a municipal or prefectural JET?