Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Translation/Pedagogy CLAIR Courses

Default Re: Translation/Pedagogy CLAIR Courses

Yeah, I was thinking maybe supervisors would have no reason to be acquainted with the more complex workings of the machine that birthed us. It was just kind of an amusing tidbit.

I'm prefectural, btw.

Delicious...and moist! kiwimusume's Avatar

At least some of the Japanese people who work with ALTs call it "kyoukai", short for Jichitai Kokusaika Kyoukai, CLAIR's Japanese name. The first time I heard it was when a member of CLAIR said it, and I mistook it for 教会 (church) and thought she was a missionary or something. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by goloons View Post
    My favorite student just tried to BITE MY NIPPLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coollead View Post
    Yeah, it's really good stuff. For some reason, they bound it as a book, instead of on a roll. There's 190 pages, which is probably good for at least a few dozen shits.

I tried to do the translation/interpretation course last year and the entrance exam was really hard. I had just passed 2kyuu that year, so the kanji and reading parts weren't so bad, but I had no experience in translation or interpretation, so I found those portions especially difficult. I failed and that was the first time I ever failed a Japanese test in my life and I am still traumatized from it, so I'm going for the much easier linguistics/pedagogy this year.

Well, I just took the translation/interpretation test.

I was so anxious to start that I misunderstood the directions in a couple of sections. you're supposed to be continuously working as you listen to passages, I dropped the ball and didn't answer all the questions. My supervisor also messed up part of the interpretation section and handed me the microphone too late, so I really messed that one up, too.

Ah well. Time to refocus and go for the JLPT!!

How did all of you do?
    Last edited by kamukamuume; July 1st, 2009 at 14:50.

Uh, I just joined this group and so far the info seems pretty helpful. Thanks.
    Aside from the monthly CLAIR books, are there any study (cram just before the test) materials anyone can recommend to prep for this entrance exam?

rather than doing things to prepare, I would say to make sure you thoroughly understand each section before it begins. my supervisor didn't understand how to conduct the test, so we made a couple of mistakes which probably seriously hurt my chances. he told me "didn't have to" try to make up for the mistakes; the whole thing would have been remedied by setting aside time between sections to read instructions.

the hardest part of the exam for me was that it was very convoluted, with many sections and rather detailed explanations of how to do these sections. if you get confused or slip up at all, things start to look grim.

VIP

Has anyone heard any results yet from the test? I thought the timeline said we'd hear if we'd passed the test or not by the end of July, but I haven't heard anything yet... :/

Still a whole week to go in July...

Quote Originally Posted by keekers View Post
    I tried to do the translation/interpretation course last year and the entrance exam was really hard. I had just passed 2kyuu that year, so the kanji and reading parts weren't so bad, but I had no experience in translation or interpretation, so I found those portions especially difficult. I failed and that was the first time I ever failed a Japanese test in my life and I am still traumatized from it, so I'm going for the much easier linguistics/pedagogy this year.
    Well, it looks like the results are out and I've managed to make the cut.

I was in the same position where I had just passed 2kyuu last December. I wouldn't feel bad about failing at all, I thought I might fail after finishing the test. Certainly the grammar portion had questions with grammar and set phrases that were 1kyuu level that I simply didn't know at all. I found 2kyuu listening to a piece of cake but the listening on this was actually much harder (though I think I did OK). I think the translation and interpretation was what carried me. There probably wasn't anything beyond 2kyuu level there but if you haven't practiced either of those skills it could certainly be an issue.

I passed the test for the translation course, but has anyone actually received their first months workbook yet? The course plan says they are supposed to be sent out in the beginning of August. I`m just curious if they are behind schedule, or if mine is currently being used as a coaster for an office lady somewhere in my school.

VIP

I finally heard from my BoE this morning that I passed the test, and then they brought me my texts a few hours later, so anyone still waiting should hear soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcubed View Post
    Well, it looks like the results are out and I've managed to make the cut.

I was in the same position where I had just passed 2kyuu last December. I wouldn't feel bad about failing at all, I thought I might fail after finishing the test. Certainly the grammar portion had questions with grammar and set phrases that were 1kyuu level that I simply didn't know at all. I found 2kyuu listening to a piece of cake but the listening on this was actually much harder (though I think I did OK). I think the translation and interpretation was what carried me. There probably wasn't anything beyond 2kyuu level there but if you haven't practiced either of those skills it could certainly be an issue.
    Well, you must be a better Japanese speaker than I am. I passed 1kyuu in December and from what I remember of the translation/interpretation entrance exam I still don't think I would be able to interpret well when put on the spot like that. I passed the linguistics/pedagogy entrance exam this year though, which was mind-numbingly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by keekers View Post
    Well, you must be a better Japanese speaker than I am. I passed 1kyuu in December and from what I remember of the translation/interpretation entrance exam I still don't think I would be able to interpret well when put on the spot like that. I passed the linguistics/pedagogy entrance exam this year though, which was mind-numbingly easy.
    Congrats on 1kyuu. You might be right that I take listening and speaking for granted a bit. I met my wife 3 years ago while studying here and we've always communicated in Japanese since the beginning, so those skills are definitely my strongest.

well, I officially failed the translation/interpretation test. and yes, I found out just today!

I wish I could have some indication of how the scores broke down, but I'll have to settle for knowing I just didn't score high enough overall.

I don't think I'll try again next year (I may not renew--haven't decided yet) but to anyone thinking of taking the course, I have to reiterate that it's SO important to make sure you understand the listening instructions in particular.

same here. I guess I did worse than I thought. Thanks for the info on how to prep though. Still, that means more time for 1kyuu studies.

you wont find the sort of cunning linguists there you are looking for. just keep tiptoeing through the twolips until Mr right comes along
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Smashes through the wa Miss_igirisu's Avatar

My boe won't let me go to those courses. they suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderRondo View Post
    they said your uk blood has extremely high levels of tea and crumpets in it.
    http://osharejunks.blogspot.com/

The courses or the boe?

Neither does my boe. I wanted to borrow the books from someone who's taken the course but everyone I know has thrown the books out.

Hey ITIL, minor not-really-but-sort-of-a-little emergency here. Does anyone have a copy of the TRANSLATION course BOOK THREE for this year on them? I can't find mine anywhere and suspect I may have lost it, and I haven't done the test yet. I have the CD for the interpretation stuff, but is there anyone out there that could type up the translation questions and send them to me or post them here? TIA!