Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's good for learning me some Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwimusume View Post
    Good point. The t sound is different than in English too.
    I agree only insofar as Japanese do not aspirate their voiceless plosives (P, T, or K), but that is it. The T in the English "stall" is exactly like the T in Japanese. However, the T in the English "tall" is different from the Japanese T because it is aspirated:

Japanese: tateru [tateɾɯ]
    English: stall [stɑɫ]

Japanese: tateru [tateɾɯ]
    English: tall [tʰɑɫ]

Japanese has three allophones for its T: [t] (before a, e, o), [ʧ] (before i), and [ts] (before u)

American English has four allophones: [tʰ] (at the beginning of a word), [t] (after an s), [ɾ] (in between two vowels), and [ʔ] (at the end of a word). Some varieties of Australian English also do this, but I'm not sure which.
    教育を要らない
    思想統制も要らない
    Quote Originally Posted by dombay View Post
    3 years later - it aint culture shock. Japan's just got its priorities wrong here.

Wow all that technical pronunciation stuff goes a little over my head! You certainly seem to know what you are talking about!

I've just started using a series of books called 'Japanese from zero' that i found on Amazon. I'm about 4/5 chapters in and it seems pretty good so far.The 1st book (that I'm on) gradually teaches you hiragana about 5-10 symbols a chapter. The new symbols then gradually replace any romaji so you get part hiragana, part romaji until by the end of the book all the japanese is in hiragana. The next books in the series do the same with katakana and kanji as far as i'm aware.

I was just wondering really if anyone else had any experience with this series and how they compare to other books available? I had a look for the genki ones but to get the text, workbook and cd was rather expensive!

Even i too want to learn Japanese language, can u suggest me the best way to learn the Japanese language.

------------
    Mobin

messsage marketing

study

Rin: I can't for the life of me convince my students to voice the /th/ sound.

Rachel: use www.realkana.com

In other news I think Genki sucks. It's probably fine as a classroom book but most of the practice is set up for "groups" so using it alone is fucking annoying.

I just skipped or modified the group bits. You need to use your imagination a bit! And the workbook is all individual work.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

I guess I should get the workbook. I tried modifying things to do solo, usually it wasn't very effective.

Thanks for the link mindflux thats a really useful site!