Thread: ABC games?

Default ABC games?

I have to make a visit to the Children's Center tomorrow after school, and the topic of the day is ABCs. I guess they have a CD and ABC cards they want me to use, but they also want me to play a game with them for 25 minutes. I had 2 ideas:

1. Write some letters on a chalkboard, or lay out some cards on one side of the room. Break kids into teams. One kid from each team stands up. I call a letter. They run and circle it on the board/grab it off the floor.
    2. Break kids up into teams. Show them a letter. The kids have to work together to make that letter using their bodies.

There will be 80 kids, 1st-3rd grade. These games might work but I don't have a lot of confidence. Does anyone else have any other ideas? Something that doesn't require any prep because I'm a lazy ass.

Those usually worked for me when I was teaching kids. Another game that usually went over well was writing the ABC's on the board and singing the ABC song normally, then crossing out a few letters. Sing the song again, but when you get to a crossed out letter instead of singing it, the kids have to clap. Keep going, each time erasing four or five letters, until finally you just have a J left or something. Sounds simplistic, but it's worked for me, and it's an easy way to eat up ten or fifteen minutes.