Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiroshima JETs 2008-9

Default Hiroshima JETs 2008-9

Please sign in and ask all your questions and stuff here (or PM me )

WELCOME!!
    Dr Peterson: 'I'm a schoolteacher'
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

Is Dobs donkey still alive, or was its death the reason he stopped posting here?

I'm going to Jinsekikougen-cho.
    Anybody have any info on that area?

There should be 12 or 13 new ALTs in the Fukuyama City area of Hiroshima Prefecture. If any of you are around, PM me.

No really. Message me. I have nothing else to do during my day.

Hi, I just found out literally 5 minutes ago that I have been posted to Hiroshima. Apparently working for the Prefectural Board of Education as opposed to an individual school.

I have a bunch of questions, but the most important one at the moment to me is what exactly does being employed by the Prefectural Board of Education as opposed to posted to a single school mean?

Does it mean I will be at a different school each day, etc?

If anyone knows the answer to this I would really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by kuro
    Hi, I just found out literally 5 minutes ago that I have been posted to Hiroshima. Apparently working for the Prefectural Board of Education as opposed to an individual school.

I have a bunch of questions, but the most important one at the moment to me is what exactly does being employed by the Prefectural Board of Education as opposed to posted to a single school mean?

Does it mean I will be at a different school each day, etc?

If anyone knows the answer to this I would really appreciate it!
    Usually, it means that will be working at a high school. The prefectural BOE is your boss and you will be placed at a base school. Depending on your situation, you may also visit other high schools in your surrounding area.

For example, I'm at my base school on Monday and Tuesday, while I visit other schools on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. You base school will act as your employer (they pay your salary, your supervisor is located there, they'll help you out in getting started with bank information and your gaijin card, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Clootch
    Usually, it means that will be working at a high school. The prefectural BOE is your boss and you will be placed at a base school. Depending on your situation, you may also visit other high schools in your surrounding area.

For example, I'm at my base school on Monday and Tuesday, while I visit other schools on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. You base school will act as your employer (they pay your salary, your supervisor is located there, they'll help you out in getting started with bank information and your gaijin card, etc.)
    Ah ok, thanks for that, I was a little confused as it was conveyed to me that my situation was not a "normal" situation.

So, what is Hiroshima like (aside from the floating torii and the Peace Park)?

It's right next to Okayama! And you cannot dance in Hiroshima city.
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Quote Originally Posted by dombay
    It's right next to Okayama! And you cannot dance in Hiroshima city.
    Which is why Fukuyama is so much better than Hiroshima.

Why spend time in the Wide Island when you can spend time in the Good Luck Mountain?

Yes the Fortunate Mountain is my closest city too.

Even closer to Okayama too!
    Melanie: back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdDxFsopVs

'Oh it's so wonderful to be an older woman. All this old stuff to do'

Hiroshima's wicked and most of the JETs I've met from there have been wicked too (apart from one psycho couple on the Naked Man all-nighter, but I don't think they were JETs...). Hiroshima City is lovely - nicest city I've been to in Japan after Nagasaki. I've heard good things about Onomichi and Fukuoka but have yet to venture there - guess that's what 2nd year's for...

you'll almost certainly be working for a High School (or several). could be anywhere in the prefecture, though. you could even be replacing me. lemme know when they tell you your town- don't hold your breath, though. I found out where I would be going within the prefecture less than two weeks before departure!

Quote Originally Posted by Clootch

Ah ok, thanks for that, I was a little confused as it was conveyed to me that my situation was not a "normal" situation.

So, what is Hiroshima like (aside from the floating torii and the Peace Park)?
    Have you ever heard of a little dish called "Okonomiyaki"? I don't mean that mix-it-up Kansai style garbage. I'm talking about the layered, packed to the teeth with cabbage and soba variety. In Hiroshima City, there is an area located in the center of the city called "Okonomimura". It's a building that has nothing but okonomiyaki restaurants. I think it has 4 floors with 30 different restaurants. I guarantee you'll become well acquainted with both the food and the location when you get to Hiroshima.

No no no, don't listen to Josh. The legions of Fukuyama JETs keep the propaganda machine running 24/7. Hiroshima City is a waaaaaaay nicer city than Fukuyama. Actually, I'd say that the best thing about Fukuyama is that it's close to Onomichi, which is another beautiful city. It also gets extra points because the city flag looks like the Batman symbol. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by SethArmstrong
    Is Dobs donkey still alive, or was its death the reason he stopped posting here?
    I thought I was Dob's monkey :wink: Dob is too good for us and is leaving for Tokyo :cry: :cry:

Kuro (and other prefectural BOE JETs), the PAs are begging the BOE to let you know your placements earlier than the usual two weeks before you arrive. Don't stress, all the placements are pretty good. This may be a wide island, but you will be close to JETs wherever you stay.

I have typed this out before, but I have nothing to do today so I am going to give you as much info as I have. You will be getting a book on what to do in the individual areas of Hiroshima, and it will be way better than the piece of garbage they gave to the first years last year.

I LOVE Hiroshima-ken! Here is a map http://encarta.msn.com/map_701577991/hiroshima.html

Travelling: Hiroshima-ken is well served by trains. Check out www.hyperdia.com for schedules. We also have a fabulous shinkansen line that will take you anywhere in the country. The little town-to-town buses are crap. They go so seldom, I really wonder why they still have them. But the highway buses are fab. eg. You can travel from Fukuyama (the extreme east) to Hiroshima (the extreme west) in 1 hour 45min. Also, if you find the shink too expensive, then you can bus to the rest of the country eg. from Onomichi/ Fukuyama it takes about 3 hours and is half the price of a shink ticket. There are also overnight buses to Tokyo etc.
    Oh and in Hiroshima city, they also have trams which are pretty fab for the small price you pay

Climate: When you arrive it will be humid as hell. Be prepared for that. I came from winter in South Africa to this humidity and was sweating buckets. I do think the second year round it gets better though. Winter does get colder in the northern regions . Down south we are protected by the sea and mountains, so its lovely. Hiroshima rarely drops below 0 degrees celcius but because most apartments and schools don't have insulation, it can feel a lot colder. Spring and Autumn are totally awesome though. This is a beautiful prefecture where the maple leaves are truly stunning to see change colour.

Places to see: Hiroshima-ken has everything.
    Hiroshima-shi: The A-Bomb dome, Miyajima, its super close to Iwakuni etc. Check out www.gethiroshima.com for fun activities in the city http://apike.ca/japan_hiroshima.html
    Kure: http://www.city.kure.hiroshima.jp/english/index.html I have never been there, but the JET community is really alive there. http://apike.ca/japan_kure.html
    Takehara: I believe there is only one position available in this area on Osakijima island. Clootch can probably give you more info on the western side of Takehara (going towards Hiro and Kure) and I can give info on the eastern areas including Tadanoumi (my lovely little town).
    http://apike.ca/japan_takehara.html explains a lot. The "city" is rather small, but you can get plenty of shopping done there, and Little Kyoto is really nice. In August we have The Bamboo Lights Festival which is pretty awesome.
    Just 13 minutes from Takehara is Tadanoumi and Okunojima aka. Bunny island. http://apike.ca/japan_okunoshima.html I rave about this island all over ITIL.
    23 mins by train from Tadanoumi is Mihara city http://apike.ca/japan_mihara.html It is larger than Takehara, but I personally feel, lacks character. However, octopus is very famous here and Mihara has a few fun festivals. It is also on two train lines (Kure, Sanyo) and has the shink station. Also a ferry ride away is the Setoda island which is interesting, and Butsuji temple in the mountains.
    Next is Onomichi http://apike.ca/japan_onomichi.html Onomichi also has a very tight JET community. Its a very international city with people from Sri-lanka, Indonesia, Vietnam, China etc. Many people travel to Onomichi to take Japanese classes at 500yen a month. Its pretty good because you can learn the language and they also organise inter-cultural activities (BBQs, parties etc). You may also be placed on the island of Innoshima, made famous in The Little Gaijin video (search YOUTUBE). The girl who currently lives there never seems to want to leave.
    Fukuyama: JoshuaZ is the oldie in that area, so he can tell you stuff. If you land up in his BOE you have all the help you need. I always joke that they wipe your bottom for you, but its cause they have it so easy. Fukuyama is not the most attractive city, but as the 2nd largest city in the prefecture, there is loads to do there. Its not very touristy, but you are a bus ride away from the lovely Tomonoura where you can see the old city and raccoon dogs on an island. http://apike.ca/japan_fukuyama.html
    From Fukuyama you can take the Fukuensen train line that takes you north towards Kannabe and Fuchu. Kannabe is taken, but there are a few spots open in Fuchu. I have only bussed through Fuchu, but I believe they have pretty mountains to climb. Also you are close to the awesome Fuji Grand mall in Kannabe. This mall is brand new and has an awesome cinema.
    Miyoshi: Amagaeru lives up in the north, so I am sure she knows loads more than I do. I have only gone there to pick pears with my teachers http://apike.ca/japan_miyoshi.html They also have a wine area
    Saijo: Saijo is a fairly new city. It grew around the Hiroshima University that many high school students end up going to. All newbies will go to Saijo for a Language camp. Also Saijo is (in)famous for its sake festival. You pay a price for a cute little sake cup and can sample sake from all over the country. It can get pretty deboucherous :wink: Saijo also has a lovely huge park to appreciate Cherry Blossoms. Saijo has friendly JETs and other foreigners there and some nice Japanese folk too.

Food: We are on the Seto Inland sea, so very lucky when it comes to super fresh fish.
    We have our own style Okonomiaki as Clootch explained. There are also foreign food stores if you are craving Marmite or something.

Beaches and hiking can be done pretty much everywhere. In my town alone, there are two large mountains (Mt. Kuritaki and Mt. Shiritaki) and two lovely beaches (though the Yakuza kidnap the one) . Sunami has also got a stunning beach.

I can't think of anything else, so please do ask. I will be the new PA after July, so I can also help you with any issues you may have.
    Porter at Empire Hotel: 'Thought so: they always look as if they've lost something' -From "Spellbound"

First of all I want to say thanks to everyone for posting back info. I really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Clooch
    In Hiroshima City, there is an area located in the center of the city called "Okonomimura". It's a building that has nothing but okonomiyaki restaurants.
    8O Thats kind of awesome

Quote Originally Posted by amagaeru
    you'll almost certainly be working for a High School (or several). could be anywhere in the prefecture, though. you could even be replacing me. lemme know when they tell you your town- don't hold your breath, though. I found out where I would be going within the prefecture less than two weeks before departure!
    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely let you know as soon as I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    the PAs are begging the BOE to let you know your placements earlier than the usual two weeks before you arrive.
    Thanks Narniaru. Needless to say I am desperate to find out and appreciate any efforts to help me find out faster (I feel like I am being spoiled here).

Quote Originally Posted by Narniaru
    I will be the new PA after July, so I can also help you with any issues you may have.
    Thank you! And thank you for all the info and links; I am going through them now

Hi, I've been placed in Hiroshima too. Great to hear about the okonomiyaki heaven.

Thanks Narniaru for the info about Hiroshima, I can't wait to try the okonomiaki.

I guess I'm about 1h45 from Hiroshima and 1h from Fukuyama. I need to find a better map of the region to figure if I can catch the train somewhere on the Fukuen line or the Geibi
    line.

I cannot wait to get an email from my predecessor.

Again, if anybody knows anything about Jinsekikogen, please let me know.

The Montreal JET are coming to Hiroshima ! 2 in Hiroshima, 1 in Onomichi and me in the inaka.

Cheers

I've been placed in Hiroshima-ken too! Don't know my city yet, but I'm excited!! Thanks for the load of information so far!! Ahh and the okonomiyaki!!! *drools*

Quote Originally Posted by samovar
    Thanks Narniaru for the info about Hiroshima, I can't wait to try the okonomiaki.

I guess I'm about 1h45 from Hiroshima and 1h from Fukuyama. I need to find a better map of the region to figure if I can catch the train somewhere on the Fukuen line or the Geibi
    line.

I cannot wait to get an email from my predecessor.

Again, if anybody knows anything about Jinsekikogen, please let me know.

Cheers
    I have no idea where that is. I will try look on the map when I get home, but I am guessing you are directly north from me, cause I am equally far from Fukuyama and Hiroshima

I asked my teachers about Jinsekikogen and they gave me some info on it. It's pretty much located in northeast Hiroshima-ken and is very close to Okayama-ken. I read one website where it said that it is about 1 hour away from Fukuyama by car. It does seems fairly inaka, and it looks like it doesn't have a direct train line going through it (like the Sanyo Line or the Kure Line). With that in mind, you might be driving everywhere.

Here it is on google maps: http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&ou...5%8E%9F&zoom=6 It is all in Japanese, however... :?