Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chiba-ken

Quote Originally Posted by babydollwannabe View Post
    I'm gonna be in Chiba shi. Anyone else there? Can people tell me more about how life in Chiba is like? Also, since there aren't really any "networks" for Chiba JETs, where can I ask questions like where are some nice bars, or recycle shops in Chiba??

Thanks! Look forward to life in Chiba
    You're very lucky. Big city and very easy access to Tokyo.

Oops forgot to mention that there's a Chiba group on Facebook.. although it does seem kind of dead.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    You're very lucky. Big city and very easy access to Tokyo.
    I know Chiba is a big city. People still say Chiba people go into Tokyo often though. Are there stuff in Tokyo that's not in Chiba? Can I find yummy restaurant, fun bars, good shops, etc without having to travel an hour into Tokyo?

nope, not unless your idea of good shops is yodobashi camera, you idea of good bars are ones that are smaller than your living room packed to the rafters with private english teachers and your idea of yummy restaurant's are generic chain stores with no flair or personality.

Quote Originally Posted by babydollwannabe View Post
    I know Chiba is a big city. People still say Chiba people go into Tokyo often though. Are there stuff in Tokyo that's not in Chiba? Can I find yummy restaurant, fun bars, good shops, etc without having to travel an hour into Tokyo?
    You don't have to go to Tokyo if you don't want.

I was saying it more as a positive because most people consider it a good thing to have such easy access.

Chiba-shi reminds me a lot of Irvine, California. It's large, and there's a few fun things to do there, but it gets really boring, really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SethArmstrong View Post
    Split into very seperate groups
    Chiba city people - always happy to have a night out in the city but never venture outside into the filth of the inaka.
    They were all in Togane last weekend, for a matsuri. It seems they can be tempted away from their monorail if you invite them. Keeping tabs on Australian Chris seems to be the easiest way to find a party these days.

The people around matsudo, kashiwa, funabashi - live so close to tokyo that you will never see them - ever.
    The guy in Kashiwa is always busy. The JETs in Kamagaya (next to Funabashi) tend to be in Tokyo all the time, or playing football. Who are these Matsudo JETs you mention? Sounds like a faerie story to me. :P

The people up north - a tight group of fat girls who travel to every event because they are in desperate need of friends.
    Are these the girls in Kamagaya? I don't know any other female JETs in "the North". Am I right in placing the Watford Gap at Chiba City?

The people down south - bunch of queers living in the sticks who are bitter about being in chiba but still being 3 hours train ride from tokyo.
    Are you still bitter after four long years, Seth?

Quote Originally Posted by shinchi View Post
    Oops forgot to mention that there's a Chiba group on Facebook.. although it does seem kind of dead.
    There is a new Facebook group for Chiba JET, but it won't have a chance at being alive and kicking until the new JETs get their internet set up.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    Or just do weekend trips?

edit: I love tokyo too but I'd also like to see the rest of the country. if anyone is interested in traveling beyond tokyo let me know.
    Well, apart from the trip up Mount Fuji this weekend, there are vague plans for a trip to the Minami Alps in September. Do you snowboard at all? I am planning to hit Hokkaido this Christmas if you do.

Default Re: Chiba-ken

I'm thinking of putting Chiba down as my second choice placement. mostly because its location towards Tokyo. what do you think the odds are of getting placed. also if anyone feels like selling "Chiba" to me, go ahead. Why Chiba?

Quote Originally Posted by Murasaki Ookami View Post
    I'm thinking of putting Chiba down as my second choice placement. mostly because its location towards Tokyo. what do you think the odds are of getting placed. also if anyone feels like selling "Chiba" to me, go ahead. Why Chiba?
    Your odds are about 1 in 47.

EDIT: actually not every prefecture does JET. So maybe more like 1 in 40.
    Last edited by atheistwithfaith; November 2nd, 2011 at 17:38.

I'm not good at math, or odds but that sounds good. if that was odds to win lottery I'd play it all the time. I was looking more for a good, bad or fair, kind of deal.

Actually no it won't, because even deep inaka Chiba still has access to Tokyo by highway bus, or train, or both. You also will be in heaven if you are into surfing.

HEYO! Hi guys, im looking for info on the Wisc-Chiba program and havent had much yet. But i see that some people on here have actually done it before so please message me or whatever if you could give me some info! Also, sorry if theres a better board for this type of thing, im still looking around.

Unfortunately those members are long gone by about 5 years so I don't think you'll find any information about it here unless Ini is still in the know. It looks like there were 10 back then but with more private companies who knows how many spots there are now. You can try your luck over at the official JET boards or the Chiba FB group (if there's an active group), maybe there will be someone who can get you in contact with a current participant if there's no one here with info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini
    If you are a empty husk of a man with no ambition come on jet, stay forever, drink yourself into a stupor every night, hurl abuse at people on itil like a roided up chimp at the feces olympics and die of thyroid cancer in your early 40s.

Otaki-machi always used to use the Wisconsin lot but no idea if they still do. Back in the long long ago the Wisconsin crew went to all the jet conferences so it was almost exactly the same as JET accept they didn't go to Tokyo orientation.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.