Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FUKUI-KEN [all the info i've gathered]

tanuki

Default FUKUI-KEN (all the info i've gathered)

Hello fellow fukui-ken JETs!

First off, you should sign up here: http://www.fjet.org/

It looks like the Fukui Jets have a tight group with lots of good info!

Second... I found this government website in english...

http://www.pref.fukui.jp/english/index.html lots of good info!

Third... here are some views of our placement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhsC7xVFs6I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_ZF1-rsYtM

Last but not least... YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpKBR...elated&search=

See you in Fukui! :smt006

tanuki

Oh, and any info from current JETs in Fukui would be great!

Thanks.

Thanks for all the info! I'd also found that government web-site. It's so sweet, lots of info on cultural activities. The list of festivals and sports/leisure activities was almost overwhelming. Fukui keeps looking better and better...Now, I'm off to check out FJET. I'm really hoping for an active community so I don't wax wood. :wink:

I think Fukui jets only get 10 days nenkyuu

To be honest I've never been arsed going there, but I've driven through it a few times and it seems very ordinary-Japan-ish.

However, it does feature a town called Obama (!) and is close to Kansai. The coastline looks pretty too.
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timoshi
    I think Fukui jets only get 10 days nenkyuu

To be honest I've never been arsed going there, but I've driven through it a few times and it seems very ordinary-Japan-ish.

However, it does feature a town called Obama (!) and is close to Kansai. The coastline looks pretty too.
    I thought nenkyuu was ESID...

Obama seems like a neat little place, inaka thought it may be. :wink:

10 days? =(

I was gonna make this thread, but now I don't have to. I had found all the websites, but I had not seen those youtube videos. Quite entertaining. And I'm still waiting for confirmation on fjet.

Hmm, I'm going to go see what group you're flying over with...

tanuki

Quote Originally Posted by derStarke
    10 days? =(

I was gonna make this thread, but now I don't have to. I had found all the websites, but I had not seen those youtube videos. Quite entertaining. And I'm still waiting for confirmation on fjet.

Hmm, I'm going to go see what group you're flying over with...
    Group B... I'll see you in Tokyo! 8)

I've been browsing FJET

They say we are allowed 12 days of nenkyuu, but keep in mind, they also award "travel days" which are the first two and the last two days of your international trip that aren't counted as nenkyuu.

We are also allowed 30 sick days...

Plus any additional holiday days as well as the promised Dec 29-Jan 3rd holiday for New Years.

And also...I hear a lot that every school is ESID. Schools handle things differently. One school may stick strictly to the 12 nenkyuu and another can say "take 20"

I don't know though, seems like Fukui is no nonsense. :?

...oh and I'm group B too...

My wife and I have been here a year (she got placed this year) and we love it. The BOE seems to really have the ALT's backs around here. I think generally speaking the BOE is fairly liberal compared to other places. I know it happens but it is rare that I hear of complaints from ALT's around here. Bottom line is that as far as prefectures go we have the "hook-up." Check out my webpage and add me on facebook if you want to scan for pics and such of the area and people.

Quote Originally Posted by StressMathers
    My wife and I have been here a year (she got placed this year) and we love it. The BOE seems to really have the ALT's backs around here. I think generally speaking the BOE is fairly liberal compared to other places. I know it happens but it is rare that I hear of complaints from ALT's around here. Bottom line is that as far as prefectures go we have the "hook-up." Check out my webpage and add me on facebook if you want to scan for pics and such of the area and people.
    You are awesome. Loved your webpage. I'm getting more excited about Fukui every minute. Please post more information about where you are and more about living in this particular ken if you have the time.

tanuki

so i still haven't been aproved for the www.fjet.org boards yet... i'm interested in trying to find my predecessor.

I'm not sure though... they may not have the prefectural JETs assigned to an actual town yet... we may be just floating for now because i heard that people in years past filled out a questionare that helped place them after they found out they were fukui prefectural JETs....

oh so many questions...

At this point some schools know who they are getting and some don't. Many times the schools will let the information trickle out and your pred. might contact you before you get official placement. However, the schools generally keep it hush hush if they do hear the info from the BOE and typically you will get an email from your pred. only a day or so before official, specific placement info if not on the same day or even later.

To give you a little extra info that I find useful is that we are broken up into regional "blocks." Generally speaking you will find yourself making friends and hanging out with people in your "block." Most of the time people will make an effort especially in the beginning to head into Fukui City where most of the "action" is but after awhile this becomes daunting. The reason being is that you either have to find somewhere to crash for the night or don't drink and drive back - which drinking is a part of life in Japan. This isn't by any means a rule of thumb but IS generally what happens. The joke is that if you get placed in the south then no one will every see you again.....that is somewhat true although the FJET community does a good job bringing people together so if you DO end up with a placement either in the far North or South of the prefecture keep in mind it will be harder to be involved but at the same time it's ultimately up to you.

As an example my wife and I live in Takefu which isn't terribly far from the city (by slow train maybe not even 30 minutes) but we rarely find ourselves going into the city for events because of the above mentioned reasons...finding a place to crash...etc. But that is our personality type. I know people that put forth more effort and probably have alot more fun that we do but it's what you consider fun. I don't like going out everysingle weekend although some do. Anyway, I know your probably biting your nails about your placement. Good Luck and I hope you get a good one.

I'm very anxious, mostly because I really would like to be placed in or near fukui city. I really don't want to drive/have to buy a car that I can't afford...and being closer to urban areas makes me feel more comfortable about trains and bus systems...

I bet having a spouse with you makes it a bit easier...but since I'm alone, I'll have to put forth that extra effort to go into town or fork out some doe for a hotel or something...any more info on fukui transportation? I'm crossing my fingers that wherever I am, I can bike to most places.

The JET salary is more than enough for getting a car over here.

Pray like hell they place you up north so you can go to Kanazawa or down south so you can go to Kyoto on your weekends :wink:
    Me Rikey Very Much!!!

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

hey you dont have to skip shiga on your way to kyoto!

we go to tsuruga about once a month to the big fish town
    魚の町
    great deals on fresh seafood, and they have a good hand full of booths set up that will sell your food to eat on the spot, including a sushi place with sushi made from fish you select.

there are a few trains a day that run from kyoto to tsuruga straight through, but usualy you have to make a few transfers.

enjoy fukui and dont forget to check out tojinbo

☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Welcome to the ken. Fukui is pretty cool, mostly inaka except for the areas near Fukui city and Tsuruga. Fukui city is really nothing to write home about, but it has good things about it. It is close to Kanazawa, which rocks. There are decent ski resorts nearby in Katsuyama/Ono, Ishikawa-ken, and Gifu-ken. If you are down south, where I am (I'm an Obama-area JET), you are really close to Lake Biwa in Shiga, and of course, Kyoto and Osaka. All in all, I really like it here. If you have any questions, PM me and I'll be happy to talk to you.

Sorry forgot to add this.

Quote Originally Posted by StressMathers

To give you a little extra info that I find useful is that we are broken up into regional "blocks." Generally speaking you will find yourself making friends and hanging out with people in your "block." Most of the time people will make an effort especially in the beginning to head into Fukui City where most of the "action" is but after awhile this becomes daunting. The reason being is that you either have to find somewhere to crash for the night or don't drink and drive back - which drinking is a part of life in Japan. This isn't by any means a rule of thumb but IS generally what happens. The joke is that if you get placed in the south then no one will every see you again.....that is somewhat true although the FJET community does a good job bringing people together so if you DO end up with a placement either in the far North or South of the prefecture keep in mind it will be harder to be involved but at the same time it's ultimately up to you.

As an example my wife and I live in Takefu which isn't terribly far from the city (by slow train maybe not even 30 minutes) but we rarely find ourselves going into the city for events because of the above mentioned reasons...finding a place to crash...etc. But that is our personality type. I know people that put forth more effort and probably have alot more fun that we do but it's what you consider fun. I don't like going out everysingle weekend although some do. Anyway, I know your probably biting your nails about your placement. Good Luck and I hope you get a good one.
    +1 There are a lot of cool people up north that I hardly ever see. It's a shame really, as a lot of them are leaving this year, and I didn't see them too much. It's just life, you get involved in your own little worlds, and you get too busy to go see all the people you want to.

It really is a pain to get to Fukui from south of Tsuruga, though. It takes me the same amount of time to get to Fukui as it does to get to Kyoto, or if I want to travel an extra 30 min., Osaka. That being said, it isn't all gloom and doom if you are in the Reinan area (Tsuruga and points south). We have a bunch of awesome people here staying this year. If you like outdoorsy things like hiking, swimming, skiing/snowboarding, etc, than you are in a good place. If you prefer an urban setting, well, remember that Kyoto and Osaka are a stone's throw away.

Relax, enjoy the rest of the time with your family and friends, and we'll see you in a few months!

Thanks for the great info! I think that Fukui in itself looks very beautiful, especially tojinbo. I totally see why the JET people put me in Fukui, because my top two requests were Kyoto and Osaka, and like has been said, Fukui seems to be very well placed if you want to visit those cities often...which I plan on doing. It being close to Kanazawa is also a big plus. Overall I'm excited...I just am suffering from sponanious bouts of nervousness...but that's pretty normal, haha...

tanuki

Could you guys talk about the snow a little?

thanks for the info BTW!
    Last edited by tanuki; March 3rd, 2009 at 15:51.

From what I've read, it appears that there's quite a bit of snow in the winter time, but then it's atsui to the extreme in the summer...yet this is all hearsay.

I think I'd rather be up north close to Kanazawa and Fukui City as well as the coastline...but I def want to spend lots of time in the south and visit kyoto/osaka/nagoya whenever I can.